Frustrated

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:i find that sampling/recording synths then manipulating them as audio files defeats the object of a synthesizer.

im not saying that you can't come up with interesting things doing that, but i think you lose the flow and evolving nature of the synth, and ive found i'm less likely to really try to come up with complex patches and push the synth to its limits and use all of its potential, because i know i'm going to be able to do that later and i get lazy.

if you want the best out of a synth use it for what it was designed for, and learn how to use it properly.

once ive got a nice synth patch doing interesting things, the last thing i want to do is sample it.

its just two different ways of doing things, my preference is to squeeze every last drop out of a synth, and then let it do its thing through the track.
its a much more organic way of working, and the flow and continuity work well on the dance floor and in peoples heads.

just saying what i personally prefer
:)
But a sampler can be used in the same way as a subtractive synthesizer with an open ended sound source. Feed it some raw analog looped waveforms for instance and you can have a huge potential of 'oscillators'. It just becomes a VA synth really if you think about it.

Some of my synths don't have a really fast attack ( apart from the SH101 ) and I quite like plucky bass sounds. Combine say a pluck from a bass guitar and a waveform from a synth and you can sculpt a nice rounded bass.

Ok just a very small example but the potential for sound design is infinite, I see the sampler as an extension of a synth where you can combine different filter types in the same patch, totally different textures and sounds to create totally unique sounds.

That's not to say I don't like synths either, I just think it's a matter of a production decision as to what the source will be, like you say if you want the synth to do the work and the texture to evolve over time or whatever, obviously the synth is the better choice as you'd lose the character of the filters etc etc.

Another synth of mine - the Super Bass Station rack has a nasty habit of altering its pulse width when I make bass sounds. I don't know why this is but it loses punch to my ears, so there's this patch I made and I just sample it off as I know it's going to remain the same then. Even something as simple as that doesn't have to be totally static, you can set a slow LFO for example to modulate the sample start time, this gives you a different character throughout the riff. But you can still create evolving sounds with samplers.

Many people might just load up say a chord or something - obviously there's a limit to the key range with such a static sound but with stuff like looped waveforms and various looped noise types, you are effectively using the sampler as a synth.

Each to their own I guess.

neverever
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by neverever »

i would say you just need to give it some time , dont rush into it , just learn the music itself man , play and try :)

imo rushing is the thing that fcks it all up.

just my quick philosophy :D
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
steevio wrote:i find that sampling/recording synths then manipulating them as audio files defeats the object of a synthesizer.

im not saying that you can't come up with interesting things doing that, but i think you lose the flow and evolving nature of the synth, and ive found i'm less likely to really try to come up with complex patches and push the synth to its limits and use all of its potential, because i know i'm going to be able to do that later and i get lazy.

if you want the best out of a synth use it for what it was designed for, and learn how to use it properly.

once ive got a nice synth patch doing interesting things, the last thing i want to do is sample it.

its just two different ways of doing things, my preference is to squeeze every last drop out of a synth, and then let it do its thing through the track.
its a much more organic way of working, and the flow and continuity work well on the dance floor and in peoples heads.

just saying what i personally prefer
But a sampler can be used in the same way as a subtractive synthesizer with an open ended sound source. Feed it some raw analog looped waveforms for instance and you can have a huge potential of 'oscillators'. It just becomes a VA synth really if you think about it.

Some of my synths don't have a really fast attack ( apart from the SH101 ) and I quite like plucky bass sounds. Combine say a pluck from a bass guitar and a waveform from a synth and you can sculpt a nice rounded bass.

Ok just a very small example but the potential for sound design is infinite, I see the sampler as an extension of a synth where you can combine different filter types in the same patch, totally different textures and sounds to create totally unique sounds.

That's not to say I don't like synths either, I just think it's a matter of a production decision as to what the source will be, like you say if you want the synth to do the work and the texture to evolve over time or whatever, obviously the synth is the better choice as you'd lose the character of the filters etc etc.

Another synth of mine - the Super Bass Station rack has a nasty habit of altering its pulse width when I make bass sounds. I don't know why this is but it loses punch to my ears, so there's this patch I made and I just sample it off as I know it's going to remain the same then. Even something as simple as that doesn't have to be totally static, you can set a slow LFO for example to modulate the sample start time, this gives you a different character throughout the riff. But you can still create evolving sounds with samplers.

Many people might just load up say a chord or something - obviously there's a limit to the key range with such a static sound but with stuff like looped waveforms and various looped noise types, you are effectively using the sampler as a synth.

Each to their own I guess.

no mate you read me wrong, i'm not arguing against sampling, i'm just saying that i find synthesizers come into their own when theyre being used as synthesizers.
the more you experiment with them the more interesting things you can come up with, and i like a timeline of the whole tune to work on for the patch.
i hear a lot of stuff which is made from repeated sampled loops of basic synth patches, where the synth hasnt really been used to its potential.
if you start using the synth to its potential, really getting into the architecture, you wouldnt want to sample it.

i do understand sampling mate, i used to make music on just samplers.
it was just a natural progression for me to move on to synths, but i know people making awesome music who have gone the other way.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

steevio wrote:[
no mate you read me wrong, i'm not arguing against sampling, i'm just saying that i find synthesizers come into their own when theyre being used as synthesizers.
the more you experiment with them the more interesting things you can come up with, and i like a timeline of the whole tune to work on for the patch.
i actually find that the longer i keep stuff as midi the more likely i'm going to change it. The loop may have been fine or whatever and i would have access to all the automation... baking stuff down into audio forces me to move forward.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

sampling synthesisers usually makes me kinda uncomfortable, but I couldn't really give a rational expanation for it.

but I can see how bouncing/sampling might be a good thing depending on your own personal style.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

hydrogen wrote:
i actually find that the longer i keep stuff as midi the more likely i'm going to change it. The loop may have been fine or whatever and i would have access to all the automation... baking stuff down into audio forces me to move forward.
Wow dude, yeah true here too. I'm trying to force myself to bounce as well and work with what I get instead of keeping midi until the last minute.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hydrogen wrote:
i know what youre saying bro.
i dont have that problem though, i keep the midi simple and use the power of the synths, but of course it depends on what synths you are using.
its pointless generalising about synths, they are all so different,
i use my sh101 for bass because its so good at it, but its a simple synth, you cant do anything really unusual with it, but something like a virus is capable of highly complex individual evolving sounds.
i still wouldnt sample my 101's though, sampling an analogue synth is almost sacreligious, you kill them dead. they stop breathing.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:
i do understand sampling mate, i used to make music on just samplers.
it was just a natural progression for me to move on to synths, but i know people making awesome music who have gone the other way.
Wires bent twice it seems. :lol:

I wasn't trying to tell you how to use samplers, I was simply stating how I use them. You know tons more than I do in every aspect of the game that's why I value your input and read your posts. I wasn't trying to be patronising so I am sorry if the post came across as such, that's not what I'm about.

I'm here to learn and listen and hopefully contribute what i have learned too. But no mate, I wasn't intentionally patronising. :)