fck BEATPORT...

- open
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: fck BEATPORT...

Post by livecollective »

Torque wrote:
livecollective wrote: maybe its time to give up selling all together....
I'm not happy with the 40% they take, then the 20% from Intergroove leaving us the label with the smaller %, but that’s a whole different thing.
You let your distributor have a deal where they handle your digital licensing rights? Why even bother having a label then? You're losing 20% over something that you could do by yourself very easily. Was this part of a P&D deal, or do you handle the manufacturing of the physical product?

I think you misquoted me man. Intergroove?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I think allot of you guys are being hard on beatport because you do realize what a massive undertaking running a site like that is. A few years ago me and Ade' Mainor (Mr. De') at Submerge Recordings put together a site called Detroit Digital Vinyl. This site was started mainly to deal with making the Submerge Distribution catalog available digitally. This was such an unbelievably immense task that it took basically being on call 24/7 for 2 years. It was way too much work for just us by ourselves to do and we were just dealing with us. The only alternative would have been to hire in a bunch of people to have huge overhead and then we would have had to charge ridiculous prices for music and we were committed to keeping the price reasonable. I can't even begin to imagine the huge amount of bullshit they have to deal with at beatport just to make it happen. If you ask me those guys deserve a medal.

The biggest problem these sites run into is that mp3s stay the same forever and there are virtually no people buying the same thing twice. Stack that on top of the limited demographic of people that buy this kind of music and you can understand why they have to bring in assloads of new music all the time good or bad in order to even stay afloat. Dance music is such a small part of the global music market that is barely even registers. Books on tape and kids singing showtunes with Barney massively outsell dance music. There are only a certain amount of people that will buy your stuff and then that's it, after everybody has got it then you have to just get more of whatever to slang on the site.

If a label is not making money in todays market it's because either they don't have music people want to buy or they have a flawed business model. You need to have a flagship product to base your labels plan upon. Vinyl is still a good one as long as you don't press up more than you can sell because vinyl wears out (and sounds about a million times better). The labels that seem to have the best success today are the ones that have a flagship product like vinyl that they concentrate on and a secondary product like mp3s. If you make a hot record allot of djs with buy more than one copy, you will never see this in mp3s. If people buy vinyl they will be more likely to play it because they made a more substantial investment in it which will get your music heard more readily and actually push the mp3 sales further and the other people in the industry will be more likely to take notice because they know you believed enough in your own vision to risk your own money on it. I know it's expensive to do this initially but there is no such thing in this world as gain without risk. I see way too many people playing it safe right now and that's sad because know there's allot of good music that will get buried by the commercial crap out there right now and allot of potentially great artists will lose heart and drop out of the game because they can't figure out why they can't make a living off this.

There is plenty of money out there for a label that runs itself right and stays 100% independent. This music started out as a cottage industry with no real distributors and was run out of basements. There's no reason why people can't see how it was done initially and do it again. Beatport is a great tool and has it's place but if you don't look beyond it you're going to get burned. Making it in the music business isn't supposed to be easy, it never has been and there are no shortcuts.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

i agree 100%
Vito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Vito »

patrick bateman wrote:
livecollective wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
livecollective wrote: Their business plan is to SHOVE as much music down your throat as possible while retaining little to no knowledge of half the music they sell.
Where can this be found/read?

Wow you caught me, I have no idea what their business plan is in reality. Do you?

This is just the way I see it, and not once did I ever give the impression that I was right and they were wrong, just voicing my opinion.
Okay, but if you know what kind of music/labels/artists you like, then why don't you just search for them on Beatport and ignore the crappy stuff the site offers?
Exactly they have leftfield experimental sh!t there its just if you get caught at the commercial sh!t thats your own fault...dig a little deeper an its there
Beethovan acknowledged the visionary qualities of his music,saying those who understand it are freed from the miseries which others drag around with them....
alexx.wolfe
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by alexx.wolfe »

Torque wrote:
I'm not happy with the 40% they take, then the 20% from Intergroove leaving us the label with the smaller %, but that’s a whole different thing.
You let your distributor have a deal where they handle your digital licensing rights? Why even bother having a label then? You're losing 20% over something that you could do by yourself very easily. Was this part of a P&D deal, or do you handle the manufacturing of the physical product?
Ok. the first reference of Sui Generiz, the label I'm trying to run was released in january 2009 in vinyl format.
Our distributor is VinylFrance, they worked well and the vinyl got sold out in few time. So since january that I've been trying to reach beatport ! :shock:

Recently, I sent some emails to beatport label support and they have been kind persons and gave me the application formI've sent them with a nice application, good artists names bla bla bla etc etc etc, but now they tell me that I should contact my distributor to get up on Beatport through them..

As much as I know, its not that easy to work directly with beatoprt since I'm doing it with a distributor and I'm still waiting...

Is very frustating to see so many labels that are already on beatport that are doing a very bad job and sending the market nothing but sh!t.. and you that want to do a decent job and you have some nice connections with artists and labels cant do much more than wait .
http://www.myspace.com/alexxwolfe

http://www.myspace.com/suigenerizrecords

IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE FREE SONGS AND UPDATED NEWSLETTER FROM OUR RECORD LABEL, JUST GO TO OUR MYSPACE PAGE AND SUBSCRIBE TO OR NEWSLETTER
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

livecollective wrote:
Torque wrote:

I think you misquoted me man. Intergroove?
There is a massive miss quote in there. Half of that I said...Anyhow regarding Beatport... As it stands you can only get on there with a digital distributor hence me going through Intergroove. I don’t mind though as that gets me a lot of attention on Beatport. I always have featured releases and banners so can’t complain. 20% seems quite high yeah, but if it wasn’t for Intergroove I wouldn’t even be on Beatport so 20% seems small as none of the other sites even come close sales-wise.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Torque wrote:I think allot of you guys are being hard on beatport because you do realize what a massive undertaking running a site like that is. A few years ago me and Ade' Mainor (Mr. De') at Submerge Recordings put together a site called Detroit Digital Vinyl. This site was started mainly to deal with making the Submerge Distribution catalog available digitally. This was such an unbelievably immense task that it took basically being on call 24/7 for 2 years. It was way too much work for just us by ourselves to do and we were just dealing with us. The only alternative would have been to hire in a bunch of people to have huge overhead and then we would have had to charge ridiculous prices for music and we were committed to keeping the price reasonable. I can't even begin to imagine the huge amount of bullshit they have to deal with at beatport just to make it happen. If you ask me those guys deserve a medal.

The biggest problem these sites run into is that mp3s stay the same forever and there are virtually no people buying the same thing twice. Stack that on top of the limited demographic of people that buy this kind of music and you can understand why they have to bring in assloads of new music all the time good or bad in order to even stay afloat. Dance music is such a small part of the global music market that is barely even registers. Books on tape and kids singing showtunes with Barney massively outsell dance music. There are only a certain amount of people that will buy your stuff and then that's it, after everybody has got it then you have to just get more of whatever to slang on the site.

If a label is not making money in todays market it's because either they don't have music people want to buy or they have a flawed business model. You need to have a flagship product to base your labels plan upon. Vinyl is still a good one as long as you don't press up more than you can sell because vinyl wears out (and sounds about a million times better). The labels that seem to have the best success today are the ones that have a flagship product like vinyl that they concentrate on and a secondary product like mp3s. If you make a hot record allot of djs with buy more than one copy, you will never see this in mp3s. If people buy vinyl they will be more likely to play it because they made a more substantial investment in it which will get your music heard more readily and actually push the mp3 sales further and the other people in the industry will be more likely to take notice because they know you believed enough in your own vision to risk your own money on it. I know it's expensive to do this initially but there is no such thing in this world as gain without risk. I see way too many people playing it safe right now and that's sad because know there's allot of good music that will get buried by the commercial crap out there right now and allot of potentially great artists will lose heart and drop out of the game because they can't figure out why they can't make a living off this.

There is plenty of money out there for a label that runs itself right and stays 100% independent. This music started out as a cottage industry with no real distributors and was run out of basements. There's no reason why people can't see how it was done initially and do it again. Beatport is a great tool and has it's place but if you don't look beyond it you're going to get burned. Making it in the music business isn't supposed to be easy, it never has been and there are no shortcuts.
I agree, i'm planning on starting a label and really want to do vinyl. I'm just doing my own thing and am really confident in what i'm doing but with the global recession and vinyl prices going up (don't know about the rest of the world) i wonder if it's harder then ever to start selling vinyl. Are these things affecting vinyl sales? Do i play it safe and do a few digital releases first or just risk losing everything and go with the format i love?
suli.belarto
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by suli.belarto »

tone-def wrote:
Torque wrote:I think allot of you guys are being hard on beatport because you do realize what a massive undertaking running a site like that is. A few years ago me and Ade' Mainor (Mr. De') at Submerge Recordings put together a site called Detroit Digital Vinyl. This site was started mainly to deal with making the Submerge Distribution catalog available digitally. This was such an unbelievably immense task that it took basically being on call 24/7 for 2 years. It was way too much work for just us by ourselves to do and we were just dealing with us. The only alternative would have been to hire in a bunch of people to have huge overhead and then we would have had to charge ridiculous prices for music and we were committed to keeping the price reasonable. I can't even begin to imagine the huge amount of bullshit they have to deal with at beatport just to make it happen. If you ask me those guys deserve a medal.

I agree, i'm planning on starting a label and really want to do vinyl. I'm just doing my own thing and am really confident in what i'm doing but with the global recession and vinyl prices going up (don't know about the rest of the world) i wonder if it's harder then ever to start selling vinyl. Are these things affecting vinyl sales? Do i play it safe and do a few digital releases first or just risk losing everything and go with the format i love?
risk it all vinyl is culture plain and simple its more then a file its tangible