healing with minimal music

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:
victorgonzales wrote:
hydrogen wrote:Quick question... Do you guys think that making minimal or listening to minimal has actually made you less intelligent? sometimes i feel like the trance inducing rhythms actually dulls the mind, or just takes it to another dimension and you never come back. Not really sure how to explain other than that...
yes and no. My mind has learned to work in a strange way to produce music so I would say it made me smarter. The problem is this knowledge does not transfer into the rest of my life and the time I spend thinking about the music decreases the knowledge I amy gain in other aspects.

But the music is more fun and kinda like therapy for me so I don't mind it dumbing down other aspects.

My other vise is politics which is the same way. I am mass informed and active in pol;itics and it turns me off from many things I would normaly enjoy in life.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to be one of those people that just floats around in life taking everything for it's face value and absorbing it all without entrenching yourself in specifics.

My other passion in life is politics / current affairs; geek i know.

And to anyone who says minimal music makes you stupid; Your wrong! in my experience, people who like minimal music are deep thinkers, i know i am.

We have more attention to detail, more appreciation to what might come next and more focus on the anti climax.
Indeed. It almost literaly fallows a scale of relative intelligence compared to genres of music here in Arizona.

The moron kids listen to happy hardcore and hardcore the kinda dumb but at least barable people tend to like trance or hardhouse. The scheesy kind
The regular people enjoy breaks and drum and bass and funky house stuff
And the smartest people I know tend to enjoy either minimal techno or progressive house or intelligent deep house.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: And to anyone who says minimal music makes you stupid; Your wrong! in my experience, people who like minimal music are deep thinkers, i know i am.

We have more attention to detail, more appreciation to what might come next and more focus on the anti climax.
I agree definitely with the deep thinking. My dilemma though is that I have a difficult time expressing myself to others using words and conversation. This seems to become more and more difficult. Likely because I don't exercise that part of my brain that much anyways (I don't enjoy reading or writing)... but I wonder if listening to an overdose of techno for the last 15 years hasn't helped in the destruction of those neural areas. :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
BlueFog
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by BlueFog »

victorgonzales wrote:
victorgonzales wrote:
hydrogen wrote:Quick question... Do you guys think that making minimal or listening to minimal has actually made you less intelligent? sometimes i feel like the trance inducing rhythms actually dulls the mind, or just takes it to another dimension and you never come back. Not really sure how to explain other than that...
yes and no. My mind has learned to work in a strange way to produce music so I would say it made me smarter. The problem is this knowledge does not transfer into the rest of my life and the time I spend thinking about the music decreases the knowledge I amy gain in other aspects.

But the music is more fun and kinda like therapy for me so I don't mind it dumbing down other aspects.

My other vise is politics which is the same way. I am mass informed and active in pol;itics and it turns me off from many things I would normaly enjoy in life.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to be one of those people that just floats around in life taking everything for it's face value and absorbing it all without entrenching yourself in specifics.

And to anyone who says minimal music makes you stupid; Your wrong! in my experience, people who like minimal music are deep thinkers, i know i am.

Indeed. It almost literaly fallows a scale of relative intelligence compared to genres of music here in Arizona.

The moron kids listen to happy hardcore and hardcore the kinda dumb but at least barable people tend to like trance or hardhouse. The scheesy kind
And the smartest people I know tend to enjoy either minimal techno or progressive house or intelligent deep house.
just for saying that doesn't make you look very smart.
BlueFog
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by BlueFog »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: And to anyone who says minimal music makes you stupid; Your wrong! in my experience, people who like minimal music are deep thinkers, i know i am.

music doesn't make you stupid; you either are stupid or not. it doesn't make you smarter either. people who like minimal music are deep thinkers?? i dont think so. what about people who listen to psy??
its simple, the average person tends to listen to whatever is accessible to them through radio or tv (which eventually corrupts their taste); more intelligent people tend to search a bit deeper for their music; i don't think it has anything to do with the genre, personally i'd rather listen to some quality tech trance than to some boring mainstream minimal. also by being loyal to one genre only (minimal) you're missing out on so much good music out there.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

BlueFog wrote:
victorgonzales wrote:
victorgonzales wrote:

just for saying that doesn't make you look very smart.
Im not saying it's an absolute fact but it is pretty common. Im not dissing any genres. I listen to a little bit of everything not just minimal techno. In my state though the genres are completely seperated with different cultures and the most intelligent of the bunch seem to hover around minimal techno and progressive house. Not saying there arent smart people in other genres. Theres plenty of them in other genres just an overwhelming abmount of idiots as well.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

:shock:
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

sorry we derailed your thread steevio back on topic now.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I would say the healing power is in EVERY music. I don't think it has to fit some kind of structure to heal. I believe alot of body healing starts with the mind. If you are stressed or angry your body does not function 100 percent. So music tends to be therapy for the listener. It brings the mind to a good place which alows the body to follow.

Different music has different aplications I think too. When I am extremely angry about something Ill take a drive and blast some death metal and after a few songs it's almost like the anger of the music draws my anger away from my mind. Not sure if that makes sense but it works to calm me down.

If I am stressed and worried or stressed about something I like to listen to real complex experimental type stuff. Things that need some focus to listen to and it draws my mind away from whatever is bothering me.

And then theres just the factor of a good groove and the pleasure of listening to it just gives you a good mood in general.