What constitutes "boring" minimal?

- ask away
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

I think the idea spawns from the difference between a "track" and a "song." There are a lot of mnml tracks but not songs... what I mean is tracks are really better played by djs... if not mixed or put into a specific context they can seem dull based on your mood alone.. all music can be this way sometimes... I feel a lot of the music being produced in electronic genre is more geared towards the dj than just a listener... so they are tracks to me... in that they are for djs... and songs can be appreciated by a large audience because they don't have to conform to certain dj rules... But i think a lot of is good even if I think its a bit dull (as long as its got some kind of funk to it that is) but there is a time and place that make it better or worse... and on the other hand there are some "songs" that just don't dj well....
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

Measax wrote:I think the idea spawns from the difference between a "track" and a "song." There are a lot of mnml tracks but not songs... what I mean is tracks are really better played by djs... if not mixed or put into a specific context they can seem dull based on your mood alone.. all music can be this way sometimes... I feel a lot of the music being produced in electronic genre is more geared towards the dj than just a listener... so they are tracks to me... in that they are for djs... and songs can be appreciated by a large audience because they don't have to conform to certain dj rules... But i think a lot of is good even if I think its a bit dull (as long as its got some kind of funk to it that is) but there is a time and place that make it better or worse... and on the other hand there are some "songs" that just don't dj well....
agreed.theres tracks ive heard in a club and thought were sh!t when im tracked them down after and tracks ive hated when i heard them on juno or whatever and then completely loved em in a club...
a lot of tunes arent really made for home listening i dont think and more for the heat of the moment.Most of it has a shelf life,thats why there are so many releases each week...we as punters are always lookin for the next track to buzz off in the club...
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

shypht wrote: You see, you take the clickety click, and mix it with the bloopity blip, toss in a layer of wobble .... fade in the tshhh tsk and a bit of reverb, and then we are getting somewhere :P
lol...awesome. can I use this for my signature? :lol:
Jacopo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Jacopo »

pheek wrote:

You see, you take the clickety click, and mix it with the bloopity blip, toss in a layer of wobble .... fade in the tshhh tsk and a bit of reverb, and then we are getting somewhere :P

LOL :lol:
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Andre schrama wrote:
tettezak wrote:
pheek wrote:- A lot of the usual minimal clickety click (ei. minus stuff), i just CANT stand it. But when i DJ, i really like to use them as a layer. Again, its a matter of timing and use.
Hmm I personally fail to see how your productions (not all of them of course) are so different than the minus stuff you can't stand.. And I absolutely don't mean this in a bad way or anything because I really like both and find neither boring, but for me there's just no obvious difference.
i was thinking the same.
but i think people talk to much negative about minimal-music these days.
just listen what you like.
theirs always enough good music on this planet and offcourse you got bad music to.
Who mentionned that I'm listening to my own?

I dont listen to techno at home or mostly not and we have a saying that is hard to translate but goes as this "cows dont drink milk." Meaning, I don't like to listen to own, not that i dont like (that would be silly) but when I dont produce, I'd rather listen to something else than techno to get inspired by other things.

That said, I like the minus music, in clubs. Did I say it's bad, no. That's why I mentionned that i think music needs a context otherwise it's hard to be in the special space for it.

I hope I've clarified myself here.
axens
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by axens »

Andre schrama wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Gaiser = Boring

Martin Buttrich = God

Marc Houle = shite

Thomas melchior = inspiring

This is my opinion btw, and what do i know?
all of this artists are making inspiring music.

like how many people try to make the same sound as gaiser? MANY.
and hes absolutly not boring to me.

and you said you dont feel the music.
well gaiser is the best producer for me in the world.
i really feel his music.

but music is like food... you like fish and i hate fish :D

All of this artists are making boring music. (yes, Buttrich is getting boring too!!!)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

you guys are all boring to me.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Dardis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dardis »

kristofason wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Gaiser = Boring

Martin Buttrich = God

Marc Houle = shite

Thomas melchior = inspiring

This is my opinion btw, and what do i know?
marc houle is fuckin sht,i dunno what the fuss is about...
i like some gaiser tracks but its criminal how he gets away with releasin such samey sht.

pantha du prince in interesting to me,dunno if its proper dancefloor material or nowt tho and not usually my cuppa tea but its quite a fresh sound
Marc Houle's fucking terrible, he's responsible for producing minimal's answer to 'Put Your Hands Up For Detroit' (Techno Vocals) & an album which sounds like an instrumental version of Robbie Williams 'Rubebox'. What was the idea of Bay Of Figs again? Make a synth sound like the Crazy Frog? Rubbish

If you're looking for just plain boring, keep an eye on the Prog House producers who have hopped on the minimal bandwagon. Responsible for turning noughties house into a pedestrian plod where you wait 5 mins for a high hat to enter the mix, we're now gonna get the same stuff stripped back! Watch this space.....