politics of acquiring unreleased music

- open
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

Der geile Ami wrote:since when were those guys or anyone else jamming berlin down anyones throats. Blame the music media and the sheeplike followings of typical music fans if you want to be angry.
its both, to be honest.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

element.8 wrote: the other side of most of this, and the request room is a good benchmark for this one, is that there's so many people that just want to emulate the big minimal dj's (richie, ricardo, luciano, matt dear, ryan elliott, rhadoo, etc) and pretty much just copy them. they spend days identifying a track, then one of them ponies it up and its spread around like wildfire for everyone to grab. we end up with a slew of watered down dj sets with nothing original or interesting because everyone has the same sht.
you make it sound like little guys emulating big guys is something new. its been like that since the very beginning. i dont see much wrong in it though. you listen to tons of sets from various djs, you go see tons of different djs at different clubs/events, and you end up with having a select few favorite djs out of that lot. they play the music you like best out of all of them, so why would you not play music that is similiar? you might play 1 or 2 from a set from one dj, 1 from another dj, and 1 from yet another, the rest being your own choices. not so bad. thats what i see in a lot of little guy sets: a gabriel ananda - offbeat here, a rekorder <latest> there, and the rest being lesser known tracks. its not that they have tracks in there everyone else is playing that makes their set weak, its how the songs are played ... the flow etc.
element.8 wrote: anyone that has ever djed for more than seven or eight years knows that one of the main things to set yourself apart is having unreleased sht. that's always been a part of the game, and it always will. again, if we all played the same stuff, whats the point in me spending 30$ on a ticket to see richie?
the majority of people in the crowd are not dj's. even so, i still love hearing a track played by all the little guys and then seeing a big guy live playing it, and he plays it at a time in a set or mixed a way that makes it so much better. thats entertainment to me. $30 well spent.
element.8 wrote: half of us get zero respect because when we post a mix or a tracklist, if people don't see the "hits", they don't give enough of a sht to download it...and that, to be honest, is fucking pathetic.
i would like to see where/when that happened. if anything, i hear disrespect to those who do play the "hits", not the other way around.
element.8 wrote: the point in all of this is that the pirating and sharing of music, be it released or unreleased, stagnates an entire genre and scene, and pretty much forces the consumers to not give enough of a sht.
i dont understand that at all. ive seen a crap bandwagon jumper dj play a set of good tracks, but clears the floor. then ill hear someone else play a few of the same tracks, and rocks it. its all in how the tracks are played. again this is nothing new. if anything it was worse back in the late 90's. everyone was playing the same stuff as each other back then too.
element.8 wrote: attendance at events is down because whats the point in getting a ticket when you can hear the sets two days later on rapidshare downloads?
can you quote some sources that show proof attendance is down? even if it is in fact down, i find it hard to believe its because everyone would rather listen to a shitty mp3 recording rather than actually being there.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

element.8 wrote:
Robot Criminal wrote:thats so on the money, I can't tell... 8)
sarcasm? ;)
no way. I said its on the money.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

i don't know if i'm totally sick or whatever, but seriously i feel like that very soon, people will ask money(or something) to producers for listening/playing their music. because time is more precious than a rendered .als file of sh!t. and because sound is free as long as you have ears.
even silent is free.

and they're released. (ha. ha. ha. ha.)

what a sick thread....