What is the difference between us and the real pros ???

- ask away
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

bip wrote:
New Guy wrote:http://www.dyson.co.uk/

The Best!!!
5 years guarantee :shock:
Very good indeed!

Waaaaaaay off topic though :lol:
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

bip wrote:
Alphajuno wrote: You no longer need a record deal in order to get exposed, and i believe that the people can decide for themselves what is quality and what is not.
that's optimist thinking!
but the "average listener" has no clue and looks only for big names

(i'm not so clear in my explanation, i hope you understand what i mean)
I understand what your saying. The thing that is slightly different with dance music, is that the a lot of the record buying public are also DJs/Producers/Labels/Promoters and do have any idea what is what.

I also feel that if a track is of decent quality its pretty easy to get it into the big fishes hands. I mean come on you get sent a great piece of music thats going to destroy the dancefloor would you really not play it because your mate didnt produce it?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Alphajuno wrote: I mean come on you get sent a great piece of music thats going to destroy the dancefloor would you really not play it because your mate didnt produce it?
That's not the way it works with me personally but the truth is that's the way it works up there most of the time.

Everybodies best bet is to just make something so fucking good that it destroys a dancefloor and has something new to say.

If you think your music belongs up there with the big dogs and it's getting no love from anybody you need to ask yourself some stuff like:
Does it fit too nicely into one stupidly defined genre so that everybody else will shut it out if they are looking for something besides the genre you fit in?
Can somebody that has never heard your music listen to it and say "that's different"?
Do all your tracks sound the same, do they follow the same rules? If so you need to mix it up a bit.
Is the track arranged shitty for a dj? If your music can't get to the point and start cookin' by 1:30 into it you have an arrangement problem. Most djs will only mix a record in for 3 minutes unless the track is really hott. People on the floor have short attention spans.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

i think the biggest difference between me and a pro is their will to sacrifice security for the chance of having a career in music.

i have a good job that pays well, but i takes us 9 hours of each and every weekday. I go to school, so i have a bigger chance of having good work in 10 and 20 years. Another couple of hours gone. I have a girlfriend. Lots of hours gone. i'm trying to stay healthy by doing sports. Another couple of hours And there is a household to take care of. so in the end there is not that much time i can spend in the studio.

this is all kinds of securities i'm not willing to sacrifice for music. And that's already the first barrier to going pro.

IMO, if you want to go pro dj/producer you have to be willing to sacrifice almost everything to it. Sure it's not that big, if you are 20-25 years old. but to get anywhere, most people have to keep this up for a good 5-10 years. and not many 35 year olds i know would be willing to live the lifestlye of a hawtin or villalobos.

i'm pretty sure each one of this board can make it to the top. But you have to work your ass of and be 100% dedicated. Not just in producing. But also making connections, keep up the PR, etc. Most people can not handle music business 24/7. Only sitting in the studio playing with knobs will not get you anywhere. Only DJing with records you bought from the store will not get you anywhere nowadays. You have to work it from every angle. That's why there are only a few to reach the top.
Kilevox
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kilevox »

[quote="northernlight"]

i have a good job that pays well, but i takes us 9 hours of each and every weekday. I go to school, so i have a bigger chance of having good work in 10 and 20 years. Another couple of hours gone. I have a girlfriend. Lots of hours gone. i'm trying to stay healthy by doing sports. Another couple of hours And there is a household to take care of. so in the end there is not that much time i can spend in the studio.

This is the truth!!
Welcome at the club!
www.myspace.com/benryser
www.benryser.com

.... minimal is not a hype ....
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

northernlight wrote:i think the biggest difference between me and a pro is their will to sacrifice security for the chance of having a career in music.

this is all kinds of securities i'm not willing to sacrifice for music. And that's already the first barrier to going pro.

IMO, if you want to go pro dj/producer you have to be willing to sacrifice almost everything to it. Sure it's not that big, if you are 20-25 years old. but to get anywhere, most people have to keep this up for a good 5-10 years. and not many 35 year olds i know would be willing to live the lifestlye of a hawtin or villalobos.

i'm pretty sure each one of this board can make it to the top. But you have to work your ass of and be 100% dedicated. Not just in producing. But also making connections, keep up the PR, etc. Most people can not handle music business 24/7. Only sitting in the studio playing with knobs will not get you anywhere. Only DJing with records you bought from the store will not get you anywhere nowadays. You have to work it from every angle. That's why there are only a few to reach the top.
This is true.
I used to have a job that paid around $70,000 a year, had a girl, crib, car and had everything i needed but happiness. I gave up everything to do this for a living and have been on the edge of bankrupsy for years and i'v never felt happier in my life. It also doesn't hurt that i make some decent money now as well. I had to let go of everything material and it was the hardest decision in my life. Everybody thought i was nuts (They were probably right) but suffering makes great fuel for art.
You have to realise that music is not a material product like food, shelter or clothing, people don't need to have it to survive. People deal with hardship everyday and through music you have a chance to give them an opportunity to escape all that for a second and live within the music and possibly change their attitude for a short while. Having material things is no comparison to the feeling you get with the thought that you may have made the world better for a second. Maybe the person hear what you made, it put them in a better mood and maybe they interacted with the next person they saw in a more freindly way and changed another persons day. Having "Things" is not profound and they do nothing to better anybodies life but your own. If you really let go of all that and just give your all at music things have a way of working themselves out, God will provide what you need one way or another. If you're really serious about this listen to Northernlight he has some real insight. You'd be surprised how much better your tracks get when you need to make them to put food on the table but even then you have to be willing to take risks within your music, you have to be willing to give it all up at any moment. A life without taking risks is not worth living.
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

Torque wrote:You have to realise that music is not a material product like food, shelter or clothing, people don't need to have it to survive.
You know, I feel what you are saying, that life is the cake, and music is the icing, something that is a perk to our existence. However...

I really believe that music is so much a part of us, that it is sooo ingrained in our genetic makeup (yes, I believe music is a part of our genetics) that we can't, as a species survive without it. At least we never have..
..::ArenaRockForAndroids::..

http://soundcloud.com/danieklerr
msfilter
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by msfilter »

sauce wrote:
Torque wrote:You have to realise that music is not a material product like food, shelter or clothing, people don't need to have it to survive.
You know, I feel what you are saying, that life is the cake, and music is the icing, something that is a perk to our existence. However...

I really believe that music is so much a part of us, that it is sooo ingrained in our genetic makeup (yes, I believe music is a part of our genetics) that we can't, as a species survive without it. At least we never have..
i think music is a way of communcating, and also a way of recognising patterns in the world. Pythagoras thought that by studying music (harmonics etc.) the truth of the world would reveal itself to us. It is this communication and questioning nature that is in our genetics.

The succesful people in any abstract business must make huge sacrifices. The scientists who have shaped our 'knowledge' today sacrificed everything they had to work on theories that might not even have been valid. Musicians must do the same.

I think to myself (though i am young), what good would material things be without music, communication and truth?

Having said all this, you DO need enough money to keep your studio up to date.