modular synthesis

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

goomba wrote:Yeah i need to learn, thinking about buying the 4ms diy stuff and building it with dad. No cables yet! :lol: hopefully tomorrow. Only 10 though.. waiting for equinoxoz to order more in.
Do it. Soldering is really not that hard at all man. There are some wonderful instructional videos online that I taught myself from. Just keep your tip clean and tinned and you'll be gravy. Plus, your Dad could help also, so you're set.

The pcb's I've bought have all been top notch quality. When I started learning I bought some cheap radio shack perfboard to practice on and had a hell of time using it. Then, I said fck and just started putting together projects. Perfect solder joints abound.

Lesson there is: If you start putting together projects with perfboard instead of pcb's, spend the cash on something nice with tinned solder pads. The radio shack stuff is so bad it's un-real. I thought I was doing something wrong and it was the board all along.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Phase Ghost wrote:
goomba wrote:Yeah i need to learn, thinking about buying the 4ms diy stuff and building it with dad. No cables yet! :lol: hopefully tomorrow. Only 10 though.. waiting for equinoxoz to order more in.
Do it. Soldering is really not that hard at all man. There are some wonderful instructional videos online that I taught myself from. Just keep your tip clean and tinned and you'll be gravy. Plus, your Dad could help also, so you're set.

The pcb's I've bought have all been top notch quality. When I started learning I bought some cheap radio shack perfboard to practice on and had a hell of time using it. Then, I said fck and just started putting together projects. Perfect solder joints abound.

Lesson there is: If you start putting together projects with perfboard instead of pcb's, spend the cash on something nice with tinned solder pads. The radio shack stuff is so bad it's un-real. I thought I was doing something wrong and it was the board all along.
Wow yeah I am doing it! I can get the 4ms RCD for like half price if I just construct it myself.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Hey Steevio, mind telling me more about that Livewire AFG?

I have this morbid fascination with the thing, but thats hella hp eaten up with that thing's size so I need more info before I try and grab one.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

coldfuture wrote:Hey Steevio, mind telling me more about that Livewire AFG?

I have this morbid fascination with the thing, but thats hella hp eaten up with that thing's size so I need more info before I try and grab one.
i havent quite gotten into yet, but that doesnt mean i have explored all the possibilities.

i'm using it for high end bell/ shaker / tambourine type sounds right now using exponential FM. thats nice

but before that i was using the animated pulses in ultra LF mode as a shuffled clock trigger for the whole modular, that was interesting.

its got bags of potential, but i'm not hearing the nice Low pulsewaves i was expecting for bass, but maybe thats not what i bought it for.

time will tell

btw i had the same morbid fascination, those laboratory Knobs would bring out the geek in my mum.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

steevio wrote:btw i had the same morbid fascination, those laboratory Knobs would bring out the geek in my mum.
No joke. The Livewire and Macbeth stuff has that retro-alien-technology look that would give even a Martian a raging hard on.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Yeah, the AFG does look like a beast. That Macbeth single oscillator is sure to be raw.

Based on my experience, Steevio's opinion (along with many others), the Tip Top Z3000 might well be the best bang for the buck and hp oscillator. Bubblesound's oscillator's may be hitting the scene soon as well. If they're anything like the ulfo, they're going to be nice. I know I've mentioned the VCO-6 a hundred times in this thread, but it's so butter. FM's so good it's scary. Cwejman bumped up the price a hundred bucks though :?:

The new modules just seem to keep coming and coming. In just a year it seems like the amount of modules and manufactures have doubled. Well, probably not that much, but it seems that way. SO many options.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i've been shitting my pants for the last few days for the Livewire stuff.

The AFG is almost certainly one of the best analogue VCOs ever made. Those Alien Saws/Double Pulses.... mannnnn! It might not have that deepness, but that harmonic animation is beyond incredible. Not sure if I can afford that one though :( (although if you look at the density of the PCBs, I think Livewire is basically giving them away)

There's a good demo on youtube from a guy called Felix.

I'm currently going crazy for the Dual Cyclotron.... now that is some alien sh!t right there! I patched up something similar using 3 lfos and I have a lot of respect for the design. No voltage control and only 2 outputs, but that is kind of the point. To me that style of music making completely redefines the possiblities of techno... If the Cyclotron is too far out, the Vulcan is much more controllable with the Intelijel expander. Livewire definitely know a thing or 2 about LFOs...
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Macbeth is phat and deep and vintage. didn't like it for FM. And i didn't LOVE it enough to want to keep it. I don't miss it in my set up. The single Macbeth is too pricey to justify IMO but if you can get a good deal on the Dual osc second hand.

For fatness the r54 eats everything alive for breakfast, and swallows up the entire universe afterwards.

It's not warm nice vintage. It's scarey and precise. But to call anything else fat relatively to the r54 is simply a lie. Unfortunately it doesn't track, and the tuning changes if you alter waveshape. Fucking tubes. However, if you FM it with a square, it will tune itself to the pitch of the square (!!!???!!!)