modular synthesis

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

longer is also bad with the stackcables becuase they aren't grounded like other cables. So pick up noise more easily. (I'm pretty sure I didn't invent that in my mind? maybe I did)

Also quite possibly a bad idea to mult 2 audio signals to one input. You can damage the input becuase the strength of the signal going in can be double, and you can damage the outputs if they are not protected (most are), cos the signal from one out is connected to the second out and unless there's a resistor in the way it will try to go there.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:longer is also bad with the stackcables becuase they aren't grounded like other cables. So pick up noise more easily. (I'm pretty sure I didn't invent that in my mind? maybe I did)
never noticed that

why wouldnt they be grounded ?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I think it's something to do with the stacking design. It's very possible though that I got it mixed up with the banana cables used in Buchla, which definitely don't carry a ground signal.

Can't find any info from a quick search. If I recall I read it in a post somewhere on muffs, but I can't be totally sure that it's accurate. The cables seem to have a ground on the tip.

(edit... seen poster Veqtor who usually seems to know his sh!t, say that the stackcables do carry a ground and are thus shielded from interference, unlike other stacking cables... good work Gur!)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

theyre just ordinary cables with a socket added.
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

Would you guys mind posting your setups? I'm getting ready to take the plunge this year, and I've been doing a lot of research. Not sure if I'm going to go Eurorack or Blacet at this point, but I'm very curious as to what you guys are using.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

^^^Worth keeping an eye on Blacet. Lots of people are selling their Frac systems quite cheaply these days.

Frac rack were the orginal 'eurorack'.... an exciting young wave of designers a couple of years ago, but it never really took off massively, and now the exciting developers, like Wiard, Metasonix, Livewire, Flight of Harmony, are focussing only on eurorack, along with a load of extra new exciting guys.

But the Blacet modules are highly regarded, and if you keep an eye on second hand market you can pick up some of the other bits. Or get a FRAC system cheaply and add other stuff in eurorack.. it's not hard to combine the 2.

My system is some Metasonix, lots of Malekko Wiard stuff, Make Noise maths and Rene, Flight of Harmony PLague Bearer*2, and a couple of utility things. I don't use any external synths, software or effects. I like to keep things minimal. I use maths/envelators for clock division and LFOs. The Metasonix stuff makes a big sound with lots of places for control, and I have 2 anti oscilltors permanently connected which does percussive textural melodies.

I desinged my system with some research, excitement about certain desiners/modules, recommendations from others and descriptions from users on muffs. Buy in batches, and be prepared to chnage how you feel about your system as you slowly get into it.
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

oblioblioblio wrote:Buy in batches, and be prepared to chnage how you feel about your system as you slowly get into it.
LOL, yeah, completely prepared for that.

Thanks.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Unfortunately there's not that much documentation about modular stuff anywhere, but there are lots of bits in various places if you're prepared to look around. Some manufacturers give good info in manuals along with patch examples. Doepfer has good stuff. And I've enjoyed reading about Buchla, little bits on his own site, and other stuff dotted about on the internet (e.g. the pdf for the Music Easel)

there's a huge amount of info on Muffs, and in this thread people have documented their personal journies.