live from our bedrooms

- open
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

AVX23 wrote:Take Surgeon, Hawtin etc, they both used vinyl from the start of their careers and have now moved into digital setups, I rarely hear complaints about their sets
I've never ever ever seen Richie Hawtin play an ableton live "only" set for example. I never saw him prepare a set at home in ableton, and then press play (like if he was playing the transitions cd in a club. :lol:
Some guys do that. I think you are missing the whole point actually, it's not about meatmatching anymore of course, but it's about doing what you do live at that very same moment whatever media you use :!:
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

And I love the new technology of course, I even don't like vinyl, but I don't like people faking their skills. Cheers :wink:
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

isabella wrote:
AVX23 wrote:Take Surgeon, Hawtin etc, they both used vinyl from the start of their careers and have now moved into digital setups, I rarely hear complaints about their sets
I've never ever ever seen Richie Hawtin play an ableton live "only" set. I never saw him prepare a set at home in ableton, and then press play (like if he was playing the transitions cd in a club. :lol:
Some guys do that. I think you are missing the whole point actually, it's not about meatmatching anymore of course, but it's about doing what you do live at that very same moment whatever media you use :!:
No - I have got ur point 100%, (said nicely BTW - it's nice to have a proper chat instead of an arguement :) heh I think you have misunderstood my point there tho, I didn't say Hawtin did use 100% ableton, or play a set like you describe, most itmes I've seen him he's used final scratch , apart from when I used to see him years ago where he used a bongo drum, a lump of clay and an airhorn, I've chosen my words very carefully there.

in fact - i've not really aimed any negative comment at anything or anyone with that, i personally don't see any point in dwelling on the negative, folk who do what you describe above aren't worth me going to see, so I've never bothered to watch, and other than to say - I'm a digital performer, and that ain't me , I wouldn't even bother to diss people who don't make the effort, we'll see who's right when I'm happily still making my music as an old man with a beard down to my feet whilst all these fake asses have pissed off after making their quick buck.

i pay good money to go see folk who entertain me, i don't take chances and research my nights out pretty thoroughly, I ain't got the money or time to waste on stuff that would frustrate me, I'm 29, I've been doing this since I was 17, back then I would have gone to see anyone as long as there was pills and a banging sound system, nowadays my attitude is different.

I wanna see folk like Matt dear, Daybre, surgeon, Hawtin, Landstrumm, inigo kennedy, Pheek, mark Henning , steevio, Lief, sleeparchive, dave ellesemere, plaster, zip, funckarma, funksturong, frog pocket, shadow huntaz, virus syndicate, etc, they don't do what you've said above (well apart from maybe sleeparchive from what I hear, but that don't make him sh!t).

so I'm completely irreverant of format, it's only the quality, inventiveness, vibe and attitude of the perfomers that interest me, If folk are just turning up and pressing play for a preplanned set then it's a cop out - pure and simple - i've never seen anyone doing this apart from myself - once I played a winnamp set, cos the club promoter fked me off, I was playing with a band tho, so it didn't matter so much, there were live vocals , scratch dj etc to keep people entertained - I felt a bit redundant tBH and like a total fake, but I didn't care too much - i got lots of beer down my neck and wobbled around looking busy.

but yeah - does this sound more reasonable to you ?

I mean, basically I don't go and see sh!t fake piles of poo thank you very much, my only problem is that half the folk I wanna see rarely play in my country, hence the need to make it up ourselves.
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

AVX23 wrote:so I'm completely irreverant of format, it's only the quality, inventiveness, vibe and attitude of the perfomers that interest me, If folk are just turning up and pressing play for a preplanned set then it's a cop out - pure and simple

I mean, basically I don't go and see sht fake piles of poo thank you very much.
Totally agree :wink:
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Lets not be having none of that poo thanks :)

down with Poo !
'gameover'
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 'gameover' »

kiwi wrote: So? still it's the human hand that has to keep the records in sync.

On a Mac the latency is almost zero.

You have no right of speaking unless you tested it yourself for some hours.

cd's also use crappy MP3's/Wave's ;)
the latency thing is declared by stanton, i don't think that on a mac runs better simple matter that mac have no better performance than a pc laptop.
almost zero, don't work 4 me even if i'm ''rightless'' or not. the dj can make the difference, but..

bout cd's, prefer use audio cds, not mp3s. (i don't use none of those anyway)
switch to master tempo and put the pitch on +-10 and you will listen to some latency on audio (kicks 4 example) when it's mp3 on one of the world's best cd turntable (cdj1000mk2)

i feel that we gotta support the evolution on every aspect, but, the vinyl response, quality, and technique are main reasons why i won't gonna leave it...

KETROO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by KETROO »

isa wrote:
AVX23 wrote:why should we waste time litening to substandard stuff when there is so much good stuff about ?
you comment it's kinda elitist.
i think you missunderstood the post. from what i understood he's trying to say that he would like to listen to some sets that are recorded originally without taking away or correcting the little errors. For example, when a dj prepares a demo mix, he starts recording it and eventually make a little error, but then since he's at home he stops the recording and the djing, and do that part again without the errors. I don't think he means bad quality mixes, or full of errors, but just a bit more natural. because nowadays all the mixes are there are super tight and well prepared that they are kinda very fake in a way, which can be also very monotonous and make you loose interest in them. :wink:
my 0.2
That was exactly my intention.
KETROO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by KETROO »

AVX23 wrote:Lets not be having none of that poo thanks :)

down with Poo !
Got it man! Let's not have none of the "poo"! Despite the fact that you and other users like you trashed me with your sarcastic and rude comments, I respect you and I respect the digital trend you so fiercely protect. I am not even a vinyl fan. In fact I mix my stuff on digital Tecnhics SL-DZ1200 turntables and I rearely turn on my analog Technics decks. I even have the Ableton installed. Happy now? :)

I am done with this idea. You convinced me all it's a bad one.