virus B

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

daveashe wrote: Better off with an old analog synth, thats all i was saying :D
no, you were saying physical modelling was best. ;)
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

steevio wrote:
Stomper wrote:
steevio wrote:i think the earlier Nords sounded better, my Nord Lead sounds warmer, fatter and more analogue than my 3.

you cant go wrong with a Nord 2, they are in a higher league than the virus / novation stuff, solid build, better sound, the only draw back is the modulation possibilities on the machine itself are limited to the obvious ones you get on most synths, whereas the virus has more interesting possibilities.
however the thing which makes the Nords far superior IMO, is the velocity morphing function, its unique to the Nord, and more than makes up for the mods, and makes it quick and easy to create different sounds.
and of course if youre into creating your controller mods in your sequencer, then the limtations in the synth itself dissappear anyway.
Did you ever get to compare the sound of the Lead to the Modular G1 or G2?
no, but i can only assume that theyre about the same, or maybe the G2 is better.
i bought my Nord 3 off a friend who also had the G2, he preferred the flexible modular approach (in retrospect i probably should have gone with a G2 ) i dont think it was the sound that made him sell it to me.
but of course theyre very expensive now as theyre no longer in production.

the Nord 2 has always had a good reputation, if you want to check out its sound, the classic Detroit album on Transmat 'deeparture in time' by aril brikha was made on a Nord 2. it sounds totally like a real analogue on that release.
I traded my SH-101 + 200 canadians for a G1 keyboard.
The G1 goes here for about 1200US, so i think i got a good deal. and i wanted something modular and the offer was just there.
I only had it for about a week and helf, but i cant say im that impressed with the sound, but i only went through the patches i got with it and made a few simple ones. im still learning the differences between the filter modules and what each shaper actually does, so i hope ill be pleased with it like you are from your lead 2.

When i investigated about the G1 and G2, i saw many users claiming that the G1 sounded warmer and better sound overall than the G2 which made me wonder. are those G1 users just jealous that theres something better, or maybe because the DAs is lower resolution made the output less accurate gives the impression of more analog sound.
It looks like its the same thing with the Nord Lead.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Stomper wrote: When i investigated about the G1 and G2, i saw many users claiming that the G1 sounded warmer and better sound overall than the G2 which made me wonder. are those G1 users just jealous that theres something better, or maybe because the DAs is lower resolution made the output less accurate gives the impression of more analog sound.
It looks like its the same thing with the Nord Lead.
i think the reason why the earlier VAs are usually quoted as being warmer and fatter than their upgraded cousins, is that the designers are trying to squeeze more out of the engine, more polyphony, more effects, more mod routings etc. so they have to cut corners somewhere.
thats my guess, but its been notable on the synths i've had, i always prefer the earlier models.