How has your taste progressed?

- open
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How has your taste progressed?

Post by PsyTox »

Mise wrote:How has your taste in minimal/techno progressed?
basically from 140-150BPM to 125-130BPM and getting all kinds of other styles in the mix. I'd be very bored if I could only play the 'Mannehim' sound or only 'Minus' or only Minimal... seems boring as fck. I like to start with dubstep, go to minimal and house and build up towards pretty straightforward techno. And if they really let me do my thing, it usually all ends in acid and drum&bass :lol:

And indeed, the Mannheim sound that's so popular is getting a bit boring. Luckily enough there are a few good things in that style but it seems some people who were into minimal at a certain point changed to playing only that stuff and these seem to make a lot of the current bigger room dj's in belgium.
Granted, it DOES work on a dancefloor, far better than a lot of snobby deep micro whatever minimal :)
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:It seems the new buzzwords this month are mannheim, Maurizio and moodyman. Last few months the buzzword seemed to be "organic" sounds.

I still don't really know what that is supposed to mean. I imagine it's somewhat akin to the sound a vegetable decomposing? jk but how organic can electronic music really sound?
Mauritz released an album, which may be the reason for the "buzz". For KDJ, I guess people miss a real groove today, with all the sh!t house released.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:It seems the new buzzwords this month are mannheim, Maurizio and moodyman. Last few months the buzzword seemed to be "organic" sounds.

I still don't really know what that is supposed to mean. I imagine it's somewhat akin to the sound a vegetable decomposing? jk but how organic can electronic music really sound?
i suppose it can sound quite organic with use of realistic reverbs, real instruments, less mechanical timing, natural sounds etc.

as for all the moodyman, maurizio etc....remember the phrase bloghouse? where you have a bunch of djs/people who don't really know about any music thats happening aside from the same handful of blogs they all read and what resident advisor is featuring. its kind of the same as that.
rockmachine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rockmachine »

i switched to heavy metal again. but the real heavy metal. like cinderella, warrant, white lion, poison, bon jovi, warrant and bonfire.

theres nothing like headbanging!

http://foem.info

http://livesets.com

free music all over the place. enjoy
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

What the f is "mannheim" sound?
Creditcard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Creditcard »

bumtschakhouse
like oslo, cecille - stuff from vera, federico molinari, nekes, nick curly and so on
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Atheory wrote:remember the phrase bloghouse?
No, no I don't. I was blissfully unaware of this occurrence. Thanks for steering me clear of this fluff.

I don't really spend too much time reading about music from the scene/ trend/infotainment perspective. I figure most of the stuff blogged about or published in magazines/websites its more or less generated in order to satisfy a content deadline. Besides, these days I am too absorbed in wandering the netlabel universe to stay abreast of things in the "real" world of the music. I mean, i still get tracks I hear that I like but most of my exposure comes from listening to mixed sets.

Off topic but by the way, I can't stand that RA website. The style scripts they use on the links bother me to no end. So ugly and amateur looking. Looks like a mistake.
boudo wrote:What the f is "mannheim" sound?
I too have only heard about this "mannheim sound" in recent times. Its just a name for the style of music coming out of some town in Germany called Mannheim. Analogous to the use of the term "Cologne style techno." Same idea I think. I don't know if it really exists... sounds like kind of a brand. New fan-dangled marketing.

I came across an article about "Nick Curly and the Mannheim Sound"

http://www.ibiza-voice.com/story/news/1833

I don't know if its the real deal on the subject but it strikes me as odd. The sound is supposed to be breaking down the boundaries of house and techno. I thought those boundaries were broken a decade ago.

Maybe I am just that far ahead of the curve :lol:

I guess its a sound born out of these people experiences partying in a particular area. I can kinda relate to that. The area I grew up in had a lot of good DJs, especially deep housy DJs. When I was 18-19 I used to always go to this factory/warehouse that this guy rented and lived at. He would use the 3 dollar cover charge to pay rent or whatever. Every friday night Djs would spin music all night. It was a cool place. Many of the guys who spun there had a really particular deep minimal house sound that I think really influenced me. Lately I have been thinking I want to get into that sound. When I say minimal house I don't mean like "mnml" house. Its something different.

I don't know how to describe it but I really want to hear more of it. Offhand, the only tracks that I think would describe the sound would be like if you took the spacey tracks and heavily effected vocal breakdowns from that old Deep Dish Mix "Cream Separates 02" made them a tad more minimal in structure. Tracks like "Glide By Shooting", "Fade to Black", that accapella with the African chick and that other breakdown with heavy delays. If you could deconstruct the feeling behind those tracks and mix those together in an underwater, minimal fashion and you would come out with the sound that I am feeling way in the back of my brain... someday its going to come out!

Well, this turned into a bit of a tangent...
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

re: bloghouse and mannheim

Mannheim is very much just journalist speak, like wonky or tech-step or whatever. I guess when people write about music if they want people to read the stuff they have to hype it as a new thing. its probably not a sinister agenda, its just the way things go. I'm sure lots of the blog writers do genuinely feel the stuff they are writting about is exciting anyway but they are dependent on a scenes health to justify writing, so its a cycle.

Bloghouse is different. Its not a jouranlistic term really. Its about how despite having access to so, so much more music, theres a certain type of dj (a lot of them) who are buying releases on the recommendation of a few blogs and resident advisor reviews/features. So instead of the dj being the "on the edge selector" bringing us the new stuff whether we know it or not, we just get everyone "going deeper" (whatever that actually means) or "have you heard of basic channel?" or "i used to dj minimal, but now i dj house music" etc. just toeing the line of the R.A. and blog tastemakers. No risks.

I could talk about this stuff all day but its probably fairly boring, negative and a bit offensive to a few people.