How long have you been making music for?

- ask away
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

so i have a question somewhat related, generally how long would you guys say it takes you to complete one track, start to finish. a few weeks? a month? a few months? a few HOURS?? lol. i posed this question to a friend of mine who makes dnb and breaks and some 8bit kinda stuff and i was really surprised by his answer, he said depending on which project he's working on sometimes it'll only take a week or even a few hours to complete a track. he's got a real flair for piano composition but even still, i was really surprised by this as i'd always had the idea in my head that it took i dunno at least 2 months or so to really finish a whole track. i know answers will vary depending on the track and the project but im just curious to see some of your answers.
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

are you serios?
I dont know what about the others here, but how can you possibly need 2 months for one track?
I had a few tracks finished in a few hours, and they were still good and well arranged.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

was just a question :roll:
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

sometimes I can race thru a track. i did one in an evening once. but sometimes much longer. i've been working on a track recently for about 7 months, though I've taken some time off afew times to get some distance.

different strokes for different folks I guess.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

oblioblioblio wrote:different strokes for different folks I guess.
yeah, thats what i figured. just wanted a general idea.
i have a few like pieces of ideas down for some tracks but nothing that im finished/happy with right now. but i think im going to really sit down sometime soon and spend some serious effort to complete one.
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

Depre wrote:was just a question :roll:
just an answere. No offence :)
I mean, sure, if you work on a track in 30 min sessions or something, you might need a few months, but my taste and knowledge would change so much in that time I would never finish the track or will create something totaly different out of it.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

SHAP wrote:
Depre wrote:was just a question :roll:
I mean, sure, if you work on a track in 30 min sessions or something, you might need a few months, but my taste and knowledge would change so much in that time I would never finish the track or will create something totaly different out of it.
This ^^^^^

I've really discovered my best tracks have been laid out and done in a matter of very few hours. where tracks that i've struggled on have taken ages and aren't usually the best ones. So I now try to focus on sounddesigns and trying out production techniques when i only have one or 2 hours ahead to produce, and try to arrange full production days to lay down full tracks. Makes me much more efficient i've found.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

good points guys.
probably why im not happy with anything i have atm.
my sessions have been too few and far between, maybe an hour or two here and there a few days a week. though more recently i havent even touched my production stuff in weeks cuz ive been focusing on a few dj mixes im putting together.

guess i'll do like i said earlier and really sit down with everything more thoroughly. i know my ideas and inspirations have been coming to me more frequently, time to put them into action. :D