Dj Bone interview (bring some hate)

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I truely feel it's just as simple as a generational thing..

back then it wasn't so commercial, and sure people had a lot of pride. now-a-days music as a whole, has come together, and everyone accepts influence from everyone. its a cruise control global ping pong.

I truely believe its extremely healthy now vs. where it's came from. their isn't this dark cloud of (crips vs. bloods) mentality over music..

it's just accepted as one common stage now 20 years later. . in the omar s and bone generation it wasn't global it was just a few cities in the world and they are just doing what they've been programmed to do..

rep their city the best way they know how, even if their thought process to accepting, sharing, and approach is outdated.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Atheory wrote:nah, i just get tired of the same old interview, from the same old guys. the same old attitude and stuff, gets a bit tedius. detroit happened over 20 years ago. we should all move on, other people have.

respect for bone and all, but, the interview made me cringe a bit. a bit closed minded and insular.
I hear ya on that. I swear I have read this interview a umpteen times from umpteen people. Old school Chicago house DJs are just as bad if not worse for that attitude. I almost get the impression all these guys have this opinion because having it makes them extra bonafide as old schoolers.

I downloaded the set they linked to in the article and by the time I was done reading the article I feeling a real negative vibe from the music. Dude seems really bitter. For a guy so concerned with innovation and progression he seem really hung up on the past. Just an observation. Its also kind of hypocritical to be hating on new innovations in the music and technology.

Side note: I find it amusing when people say things like Detroit inspired. I have seen Detroit and I can't say that I saw anything that was all that inspirational... kind of depressing in fact.

One thing I have never been to crazy about in Detroit techno is the way producers often over use half clipped words in such a repetitive manner that its just irritating to the ear. Don't get me wrong there more great tunes then you could shake a stick at but so much of it sounds the same. A lot of lame vocals and sh!t like that.

There are some really nice tracks halfway though part one of his set. Worth checking out. Im not crazy about how much he chops and cuts in his mixes... reminds me of my own foolishness when mixing drunken :oops:
nierika
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nierika »

I mean I could easily wake up tomorrow and say, “You know what? I feel like being famous. I’m going to start playing minimal.” And I could go and get a computer and get the latest software and just cheer lead and wave my hands and blow kisses, etc, and I would make ten times what I make right now and be a million times more famous...

Good luck with that one! :lol:
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

nierika wrote:I mean I could easily wake up tomorrow and say, “You know what? I feel like being famous. I’m going to start playing minimal.” And I could go and get a computer and get the latest software and just cheer lead and wave my hands and blow kisses, etc, and I would make ten times what I make right now and be a million times more famous...

@shephard, agree. its like for a music that started being about the futrue, its now a bit too concerned with the past.

i don't know if thats the fanboys fault, or the self appointed adjudicators of whats "real" and "fake" or whatever, but it makes it a little difficult to hold up as the last word in innovation, when its still effectivly the same form 20 plus years later, even if i like dancing to it.

i don't actually want to get into some detroit bashing, cause its not how i feel, its incredible that people there turned around a situation thats been really crippling to communities and channelled some of that into a really positive thing thats been a global phenomenon. and you know, its not just techno. the more i think about it, i don't even think techno is my favorite detroit music anymore, probably motown records hit me so much more.

@that comment about being a minimal computer dj.
the part that disturbs me about this is that if you an international dj and you think thats whats mainly going on in cities around the world then you need to open your eyes and mind and go to better places with people who like music more.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

nierika wrote:I mean I could easily wake up tomorrow and say, “You know what? I feel like being famous. I’m going to start playing minimal.” And I could go and get a computer and get the latest software and just cheer lead and wave my hands and blow kisses, etc, and I would make ten times what I make right now and be a million times more famous...

ooooooh myyy...

I didn't even read the article... I suppose that sums it up..

that's just down out ridiculous...

thanks for the quote.

:D

* maybe he and others alike are still made at richie for being white...

who's to say.. :?
Last edited by John Clees on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I think DJ Bone came across reasonably well overall. A certain amount of narrowness and negatively weighted opinions but I think that's pretty normal for opinionated music kinda guys. It seemed like he was talking from the heart which is the main thing imo, plus I think in some ways the interviewer skewed the questioning in certain directions.

I have a sympathy with some people raised in the Detroit music scene, the people and the city was obviously pretty important in the development of music, and now the spotlight is somewhere else I can understand how you'd think negatively about some things. But that too is pretty normal, the spotlight isn't always in the interesting places, which is probably a good thing.

obviously it's sad that the city is still the same as it was, but to close your eyes to the possiblity of exciting music happening in other places isn't a great thing. there are lots of people who have contributed significantly to the sound too, including some of the major european guys.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

john clees wrote:

John.......wtf?

That's retarded

Nobody is mad at Rich and Bone wasn't even talking about him in the article.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Torque wrote:
john clees wrote:

John.......wtf?

That's retarded

Nobody is mad at Rich and Bone wasn't even talking about him in the article.
Hawtin put that work in, cant be mad at him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60C9bqFDg1E

8)