Programmers: Help mnml.nl

- open
amber_sun
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by amber_sun »

I think donations could work if users are invited to donate and are given a reason to do it.
One single Paypal button on the page doesn't say much, but if users are made aware of what their donations bring I think it's possible to raise something.

Just to give an example: I know of a German podcaster who had a donate button on his website that wasn't very effective. He then made a podcast episode about what he could have done with the money (in his case it was about interviewing people and visiting events to report about them). As a result, after that specific episode, he raised something like 2 thousand euros.

Maybe on a forum it could be a dedicated message or... maybe someone has better ideas?

Just an example to say that it's important to make people aware.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

tone-def wrote:Here are my thoughts
clubs and parties section should be split up into regional sub forums. so a UK section, German section, US, Scandinavia, Belgium & Hollend etc....
please no. too RA. and I can honestly say I visit the parties section about ehmm... maybe once in 2-3 months. maybe. It's just not the essence of this community (imho). Not the hip-party-forum-to-be if u catch my drift
tone-def wrote: i really like the idea of changing the netlabel, digital and vinyl label sections to something more like a blog for each label. so you have a perlon thread where everything talks about the latest perlon release and the same with every label that gets talked about in those sections. and in stead of it being all about the latest release, labels could also use it for other news relating to them, like remix competitions and links to there label parties in the events sections.
I'm pretty shure this's goin to be a total ad fest... like who's supporting who and whatnot. no. I'd like some objectivity (as it is). And how many labels are there releasing nowadays? It would be a total pain in the a** to find something useful from this mess (almost like it is now, but worse :D)
2cents
laters
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Kayo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kayo »

I think a Paypal donation would be very useful. I found the cash mod for phpbb2:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/3660

so would be covered the server costs and your great work.
many peoples will be donate for mnml.nl !!!
datalus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by datalus »

I'm a web/flash developer by trade. I've worked with frameworks such as CakePHP and Ruby/Rails. I came from a Java background (school), and I'd be willing to help out in any that I can.

I also think the post your releases/mixes sections need to be reworked as the blitz of posts on there is pretty insanse (moreso the releases forums). Perhaps a required donation of a small amount $0.50 may deter some people? ;)

And this idea is completely just a suggestion I came up with on the spot, but I'd like to just see it get the ball rolling on some areas of improvement and how the community feels they should be dealt with.
Catching The Waves
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Catching The Waves »

I have trouble pushing a plug into a wall socket, so I can't help you out with programming. But I wish mnml all the best - it's a fantastic resource. One of the things I like best about it is that it's so democratic: everyone is equal and members don't get bombarded by adverts and pop-ups.

It's important to keep the graphics scheme simple. One strength of mnml is that it loads very quickly - it's more important than most people think. Keep it minimal! :P

A Paypal donation is a good idea. I've seen forums that have a little "bar" with targets on it, all depicted as a percentage. 16% = server fees, 39% software upgrade, 78% t-shirt print run, 100% free sex. That way, the amount of cash is irrelevant - it's just the achievements that are publicised.

Don't forget to make a mnml t-shirt. You could use Cafe Press or similar. The mnml logo is superb and would look good in many different colours - good publicity for the forum too.

I'll shut up now. :)
Please visit Catching The Waves if you have a desperate need to read erratic reviews of free netlabel & Creative Commons music. :)
Kayo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kayo »

T-Shirts are a great idea :D !!!!

http://www.spreadshirt.net has an offers with one shop can integrate.
The Harry Klein also sells his t shirts about this shop.

A PayPal-Donation is unobtrusive as a link in header navigation. Like :

without layers or banners they disfigure the fantastic style.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

t-shirts have also been discusses several times, I've personal spend 3 hours setting up a site where this can be purchased... link not disclosed... lol..

* ponders if I should just post the link and let people purchase them at cost - if they so choose... no profile margin set - they are all at cost. :)

I was advised to hold off on sharing the link and therefore it was only posted in the mod section...

I do agree the donate option is the first step we should take and should be the easiest.

(perhaps make it a another shade to draw more attention to it).
Last edited by John Clees on Wed May 27, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

re: the spead shirt site.. it was already discussed...

some issues with shipping to different countries and certain cost... just sharing it's specficially been brought up..

but thank you for the suggestion/referral.. :!: :!: