mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fred »

cheers guys all helpful info
Delko
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Delko »

dude i am user of ableton live 7 and before i use very vst plugins but now i just use the machine of live have and i m making better songs :)

and i do not use loops...

I just use samples (kicks, drums, percussion)

My advice: training hardly and experimenting the machines
genin_
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by genin_ »

Sry doble post.
Last edited by genin_ on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
genin_
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by genin_ »

rationalism wrote:if you want to make a tech house track don´t use massive, or other vst, in fact don´t use VST´s.
When I started producing i always used VST, ALWAYS, but as i progressed i started to use a lot of samples and built-in tool of LIVE and them it happend I have my own style no vst and now i can make a tech house track and don´t end making a progressive house one! as the sound or loop I create are all mine and not an Arpegiattor in a vst that it´s too prog so. Create your own sound instead of trying to change the ones in the vst!
That´s the way I see thing... cheer guys! (-)
Send us tracks for the label... LOL :roll:
Synthesis > Sampling .
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

genin_ wrote:
rationalism wrote:if you want to make a tech house track don´t use massive, or other vst, in fact don´t use VST´s.
When I started producing i always used VST, ALWAYS, but as i progressed i started to use a lot of samples and built-in tool of LIVE and them it happend I have my own style no vst and now i can make a tech house track and don´t end making a progressive house one! as the sound or loop I create are all mine and not an Arpegiattor in a vst that it´s too prog so. Create your own sound instead of trying to change the ones in the vst!
Synthesis > Sampling .
For a while I was dedicated to only using live midi... but I've recently started sampling synthesis and cutting that up. It gives me a little bit more room to experiment with and is much easier on the memory. Especially with the variety of sounds you can make with certain synths... Its great to hit record and just move all the knobs around. When cutting up the audio its easier cause you don't have to deal with the midi and you get consistent results. Overall, I actually do a little bit of both... There is Nothing like an old snare off a funk record recorded in the 70s or record dust. :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
genin_
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by genin_ »

hydrogen wrote:
genin_ wrote:
Synthesis > Sampling .
For a while I was dedicated to only using live midi... but I've recently started sampling synthesis and cutting that up. It gives me a little bit more room to experiment with and is much easier on the memory. Especially with the variety of sounds you can make with certain synths... Its great to hit record and just move all the knobs around. When cutting up the audio its easier cause you don't have to deal with the midi and you get consistent results. Overall, I actually do a little bit of both... There is Nothing like an old snare off a funk record recorded in the 70s or record dust. :)
I usually record my synths too, i was just saying synthesis > Sampling, thats all.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i find that sampling/recording synths then manipulating them as audio files defeats the object of a synthesizer.

im not saying that you can't come up with interesting things doing that, but i think you lose the flow and evolving nature of the synth, and ive found i'm less likely to really try to come up with complex patches and push the synth to its limits and use all of its potential, because i know i'm going to be able to do that later and i get lazy.

if you want the best out of a synth use it for what it was designed for, and learn how to use it properly.

once ive got a nice synth patch doing interesting things, the last thing i want to do is sample it.

its just two different ways of doing things, my preference is to squeeze every last drop out of a synth, and then let it do its thing through the track.
its a much more organic way of working, and the flow and continuity work well on the dance floor and in peoples heads.

just saying what i personally prefer
:)
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

yeah Steevio, great post. I posted a while back (out of frustration I suppose) that I couldnt understand synthesising alot of percussion and FX sounds. I then said that lots of people like me should just resort to samples. FWIW Ive been on a real sound design "tip" since then. Finally crafting nice patches, esp. percussion and FX sound, and it feels great becuase they're MINE. I'm also finding I can build my track round a few of my own sounds, because they're alot more special and important to me than just a string of one shot samples.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk