why everyone loves beatport?

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

dsat wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
I simply don't agree. I can't see that the customer is suffering, maybe that is because I, myself as a DJ, more or less only use Beatport anyway.
If a label is selling their releases on a site I simply don't like, well, then I don't buy it, quite simple for me.
i have trouble understanding this... so the website you're buying from is more important than the music???
No, I can't see how you come to that conclusion, but there was a reason that I stopped using Kompakt MP3, 2-3 years ago, and that was because of the lousy interface. That can't be so hard to understand.

If the label/music isn't interesting enough to overcome the small annoying things a customer might have related to buying the music, then that's just how it is IMO.

It's the same reason that I mostly don't buy Perlon. For me it's a pain in the ass to first order the vinyl at Decks, then wait 3-4-5 days before it arrives, then find the time to digitize it, before I actually can play it...

I only see the problems that Zentex is talking about if the customer really don't like Beatport at all, and at the same time really is a big fan of the label. But nobody has ever told me that this was a problem and from our sales NUMBERS I can see that it is only going one way (and that's up)....
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

zentex wrote: but the digital and vinyl distributions are not comparable at all, as digital doesn't have any carrier costs.
true, bandwidth, servers and webdesign are available for free. ;)

but as far as your comment goes that all labels should be available on as much stores as possible, I agree completely. And there are cheaper alternatives to Beatport, like that other big monster iTunes. Most labels that are distributed by a digital or classic distri are alos on iTunes, and at prices of about half of Beatport for 256kpbs M4P which is the same or even better quality. So there you go... plenty of choice for the bargain seeking consumer. Yet, no one is buying dance music on iTunes so they don't invest in making the system more dj friendly. Common economics.

Patrick: once again I agree completely.
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

PsyTox wrote:
zentex wrote: but the digital and vinyl distributions are not comparable at all, as digital doesn't have any carrier costs.
true, bandwidth, servers and webdesign are available for free. ;)

but as far as your comment goes that all labels should be available on as much stores as possible, I agree completely. And there are cheaper alternatives to Beatport, like that other big monster iTunes. Most labels that are distributed by a digital or classic distri are alos on iTunes, and at prices of about half of Beatport for 256kpbs M4P which is the same or even better quality. So there you go... plenty of choice for the bargain seeking consumer. Yet, no one is buying dance music on iTunes so they don't invest in making the system more dj friendly. Common economics.
okay, any carrier costs is an exaggeration, but i guarantee you the digital distributors costs are nowhere near the vinyl distributors, so they are not comparable at all in what we're talking about here.

also, you should read the posts before you answer so that wouldn't need to repeat myself for the fifteenth time: we are talking about exclusivity of Beatport, and if a label is Beatport exclusive it won't appear in iTunes or anywhere else the same time as in BP. patrick also already explained this and his (and other exclusive labels's) releases will appear in the other stores, but much later.
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

patrick bateman wrote:
dsat wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
I simply don't agree. I can't see that the customer is suffering, maybe that is because I, myself as a DJ, more or less only use Beatport anyway.
If a label is selling their releases on a site I simply don't like, well, then I don't buy it, quite simple for me.
i have trouble understanding this... so the website you're buying from is more important than the music???
No, I can't see how you come to that conclusion, but there was a reason that I stopped using Kompakt MP3, 2-3 years ago, and that was because of the lousy interface. That can't be so hard to understand.

If the label/music isn't interesting enough to overcome the small annoying things a customer might have related to buying the music, then that's just how it is IMO.

It's the same reason that I mostly don't buy Perlon. For me it's a pain in the as.s to first order the vinyl at Decks, then wait 3-4-5 days before it arrives, then find the time to digitize it, before I actually can play it...
so the most important thing is to get it easy and fast and the music itself is secondary? :shock:

i'm sorry, this is just a shocking statement...
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

zentex wrote:so the most important thing is to get it easy and fast and the music itself is secondary? :shock:

Mister Zentex, that is what you are writing throughout this thread, isn't it?
You want the tracks in shops you like better (than Beatport) and you want it cheaper?? aka you think that the most important thing is the website you buy it from.

I on the other hand is writing that I buy mostly from Beatport (and some from Whatpeopleplay) because these shops satisfy my needs.
It's a general human behavior that people satisfy their needs where they get a good service, don't you agree to that? And if I get a good service on the website www.beatport.com, then of course I but as much of the music that I want there. If I am SO annoyed by the website www.kompakt-mp3.com that I won't use it anymore, then I won't buy the Kompakt in-house exclusive labels that they have, except if the music is SO important to me that I make an exception.

Is it really that hard to understand? ;)
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

patrick bateman wrote:
zentex wrote:so the most important thing is to get it easy and fast and the music itself is secondary? :shock:

patrick bateman wrote:Mister Zentex, that is what you are writing throughout this thread, isn't it?
You want the tracks in shops you like better (than Beatport) and you want it cheaper?? aka you think that the most important thing is the website you buy it from.
no, you misread me: what i've been saying all along is that people should have a choice from which shop they buy their music, and that the music should come out in all the shops at the same time. of course, the music itself is the most important thing here, and most people will buy it anyway, even if it is in a shop they don't particularly like. i just think they shouldn't be obliged to do so.
patrick bateman wrote:I on the other hand is writing that I buy mostly from Beatport (and some from Whatpeopleplay) because these shops satisfy my needs.
It's a general human behavior that people satisfy their needs where they get a good service, don't you agree to that? And if I get a good service on the website www.beatport.com, then of course I but as much of the music that I want there. If I am SO annoyed by the website www.kompakt-mp3.com that I won't use it anymore

Is it really that hard to understand? ;)
yes, because to me the music comes first and not the platform that sells it. dsat and carlsmart seem to think so as well, and i'm sure many more.
patrick bateman wrote:"then I won't buy the Kompakt in-house exclusive labels that they have, except if the music is SO important to me that I make an exception."
this is exactly what i'm talking about- you're saying you make an exeption if the music is good and you want it, even if it's on a shop you dislike. this is exactly what happens to all the people that don't like beatport but like a label that's exclusive there. seems like you're agreeing with me.

look, all in all the main thing is, whether it's kompakt, beatport, whatpeopleplay or whateverthefuck: if there wasn't exclusivity with the labels in any of the shops, the releases would come out the same time everywhere and people could make up their own mind about where to buy their music.

but then again, this is not a perfect world, is it ;)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

haha, it's not a perfect world for sure and as we talked about, the current model really is much better for many labels, business wise seen... who knows, maybe in the long run it's a bad idea, I just can't see that at the moment.

;)
Have a great Thursday.