healing with minimal music

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

BlueFog wrote:healing music is organic; there's nothing organic about minimal techno since it's almost always intended for clubs/dancing. however, what i find 'healing' is the process of making it. its an escape from reality and it makes you feel better.
why do you say theres nothing organic about minimal techno ?
why can you not dance to organic music ?

it can be organic or not, depending on who and how they made it.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

BlueFog wrote:healing music is organic; there's nothing organic about minimal techno since it's almost always intended for clubs/dancing. however, what i find 'healing' is the process of making it. its an escape from reality and it makes you feel better.
Music is as limited as you want it to be.

Also, did i miss the memo when everone decided that for music to heal people it has to be organic? Can you explain further, i am confused.
lcvl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcvl »

I recently figured out that what really drew me into techno (mostly its more dub-inlfuenced side) was its Zen-like qualities.

Listening to it can get really close to meditation for me.

And that's the kind of feeling I look for when producing in the studio as well. Not always easy to get into the "zone", but definitely possible.

I'm also believing that being in the "zone" is really the most important aspect of making music for me.

It's more about the process than the final result (that doesn't mean not putting energy into finishing your tracks... ;) ).

If the process has the right flow, the result appears in front of you with almost no effort.

It's more about the journey than the final destination.
Dubby music & free samples http://leocavallo.bandcamp.com
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lcvl wrote:I recently figured out that what really drew me into techno (mostly its more dub-inlfuenced side) was its Zen-like qualities.

Listening to it can get really close to meditation for me.

And that's the kind of feeling I look for when producing in the studio as well. Not always easy to get into the "zone", but definitely possible.

I'm also believing that being in the "zone" is really the most important aspect of making music for me.

It's more about the process than the final result (that doesn't mean not putting energy into finishing your tracks... ;) ).

If the process has the right flow, the result appears in front of you with almost no effort.

It's more about the journey than the final destination.
spot on
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Agreed, and just to add - I think in a way, anything synthesized still has it's own organic quality being as it's created by organic life-forms.

Man made, isn't strictly un-natural, we did utilise organic laws and relationships to make it.

Depends of course on your outlook :)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AVX23 wrote:Agreed, and just to add - I think in a way, anything synthesized still has it's own organic quality being as it's created by organic life-forms.

Man made, isn't strictly un-natural, we did utilise organic laws and relationships to make it.

Depends of course on your outlook :)
absolutely, everything we do is organic, man-made is as natural as anything else in the universe.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

hydrogen wrote:Quick question... Do you guys think that making minimal or listening to minimal has actually made you less intelligent? sometimes i feel like the trance inducing rhythms actually dulls the mind, or just takes it to another dimension and you never come back. Not really sure how to explain other than that...
yes and no. My mind has learned to work in a strange way to produce music so I would say it made me smarter. The problem is this knowledge does not transfer into the rest of my life and the time I spend thinking about the music decreases the knowledge I amy gain in other aspects.

But the music is more fun and kinda like therapy for me so I don't mind it dumbing down other aspects.

My other vise is politics which is the same way. I am mass informed and active in pol;itics and it turns me off from many things I would normaly enjoy in life.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to be one of those people that just floats around in life taking everything for it's face value and absorbing it all without entrenching yourself in specifics.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

victorgonzales wrote:
hydrogen wrote:Quick question... Do you guys think that making minimal or listening to minimal has actually made you less intelligent? sometimes i feel like the trance inducing rhythms actually dulls the mind, or just takes it to another dimension and you never come back. Not really sure how to explain other than that...
yes and no. My mind has learned to work in a strange way to produce music so I would say it made me smarter. The problem is this knowledge does not transfer into the rest of my life and the time I spend thinking about the music decreases the knowledge I amy gain in other aspects.

But the music is more fun and kinda like therapy for me so I don't mind it dumbing down other aspects.

My other vise is politics which is the same way. I am mass informed and active in pol;itics and it turns me off from many things I would normaly enjoy in life.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to be one of those people that just floats around in life taking everything for it's face value and absorbing it all without entrenching yourself in specifics.

My other passion in life is politics / current affairs; geek i know.

And to anyone who says minimal music makes you stupid; Your wrong! in my experience, people who like minimal music are deep thinkers, i know i am.

We have more attention to detail, more appreciation to what might come next and more focus on the anti climax.