Beatport tax?

- open
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

revy wrote:i'd like to hear about more beatport alternatives...especially ones that sell lossless quality wav/flacs...or more experimental sounding stuff.
try out http://www.digital-tunes.net , everything there is a fixed price of 1.50euros for WAV, FLAC or MP3 files.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:
PsyTox wrote:we get our stuff pressed outside of belgium, but doesn't matter, they still ask for paperwork of the collection agency, and since we are based in Belgium, we have to register with Sabam...

I have to start renting a mailbox address in germany I think ;)

We are from Denmark, pressed the first 6 releases in France, and used Gema in Germany :lol: (now we press in Germany also).
Yeah I'm based in the UK and we do everything in Germany. Makes sense though as our distribution is based in Germany. Lucky enough for me none of our artists are registered to the MCPS, so haven't had to pay out anything to them as of yet. Problem with that though is if one decides to join, I would have to pay out a sh!t load of money and could potentially make me go bust.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Thanks for getting in touch. The Value Added Tax (VAT) is a tax that Beatport is required to charge by European law when selling a download file to a customer in the European Union (EU). Beatport customers will pay 15% which is the lowest possible VAT rate in the EU. In an effort to be transparent about the VAT, Beatport shows the amount of tax payable as a separate item. Beatport does not retain these monies as they are paid to the proper European tax authority.
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

patrick bateman wrote:
Thanks for getting in touch. The Value Added Tax (VAT) is a tax that Beatport is required to charge by European law when selling a download file to a customer in the European Union (EU). Beatport customers will pay 15% which is the lowest possible VAT rate in the EU. In an effort to be transparent about the VAT, Beatport shows the amount of tax payable as a separate item. Beatport does not retain these monies as they are paid to the proper European tax authority.
interesting. wonder if they will charge me for this vat or not. maybe check later today :)
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

atm it seems like they've done some research (good for them), so no vat added here. although still bugging me that i get the prices in € here, and in $ at my parents flat :s
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

Slightly off topic, if you are a working self employed DJ and actually pay tax on your earnings (I know most work is cash in hand) then you can claim the tax from your travel expenses, hardware and vinyl purchases.
Do you think you will be able to claim the tax back from your download purchases?
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

G3rard wrote:Slightly off topic, if you are a working self employed DJ and actually pay tax on your earnings (I know most work is cash in hand) then you can claim the tax from your travel expenses, hardware and vinyl purchases.
Do you think you will be able to claim the tax back from your download purchases?
why not? probably different from country to country, but in norway you can claim back taxes on all expenses you have when working as a self-employed dj (as long as you can proove that you pay tax on your earnings). this probably applies to most other professions as well (as long as it's an individual enterprise / one-man firm or what to call it in english).
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

vermi wrote:one-man firm or what to call it in english).
sole proprietorship..
G3rard wrote:Slightly off topic, if you are a working self employed DJ
absolutely..:!:

their is a huge statistic that many small business will either go under and/or take a loss the first couple of years.. djing follows suit..

track your numbers / save your receipts - claim it all - gas to shows / bar tabs / printer ink / computer maintenance / I did this a few years ago... and tripled my tax return.. it is what it is....

rule of thumb: (if) you show a loss for 3 or more years is when a (potential flag my rise)..

perhaps change the name of your company or make a sub label / dj alias.. - if that were the case..

* When I initially filled was the same year as 9/11 and the US economy took it's first plummet.. I just ended up not claiming anything after the 3rd year. But then last year started things up once again..

:)