What have you sacrificed or lost through making music?

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

edit... was mostly chatting sh!t.

carry on!
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

async wrote:Dear Dusk,
It's important to make time to further your art, but you should think about what's important to you as a person and focus on that.

I certainly gave up on the myth of "making it" with electronic music a long time ago. I think that was a turning point because from there, focussing on career and other things becomes a realised necessity and so the lifestyle duality starts. It's just that when youre younger you can effectively marginalise those other things in your life. The older you get, the balance inexorably shifts and it becomes harder to be swallowed whole in the act of making music.

This is the crossroads and if you go one way, I suppose there is still time to reclaim a "conventional" life - go the other... well, god knows. The creative void and all that can be lost or won.

This is really about questioning something core about yourself, something that has been the only stable, certain thing you had - does this even make me happy? Am I focussing on the wrong things? Thats a pretty destabilising experience because you're talking (in my case) around 10 years of personal bedrock, a decade of personal orientation.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Dusk wrote:
It's important to make time to further your art, but you should think about what's important to you as a person and focus on that.

I certainly gave up on the myth of "making it" with electronic music a long time ago. I think that was a turning point because from there, focussing on career and other things becomes a realised necessity and so the lifestyle duality starts. It's just that when youre younger you can effectively marginalise those other things in your life. The older you get, the balance inexorably shifts and it becomes harder to be swallowed whole in the act of making music.

This is the crossroads and if you go one way, I suppose there is still time to reclaim a "conventional" life - go the other... well, god knows. The creative void and all that can be lost or won.

This is really about questioning something core about yourself, something that has been the only stable, certain thing you had - does this even make me happy? Am I focussing on the wrong things? Thats a pretty destabilising experience because you're talking (in my case) around 10 years of personal bedrock, a decade of personal orientation.
one thing i can give you is don't let the age issue come into it.
its hard to imagine when you're in your early twenties that you could be doing the same thing in your early fifties and still be taken seriously, but thats what i'm doing. (well not so sure about being taken seriously) i was in a punk band at age 21, i released my first techno tune at age 37, and i'm still making EDM 15 years later.
as a musician, time becomes malleable.
dont let the illusory and claustrophobic rules of society deflect you from your heart.
here's a quote from my bathroom wall;

'' Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.'' - Goethe
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

steevio wrote:
Dusk wrote:

its hard to imagine when you're in your early twenties that you could be doing the same thing in your early fifties and still be taken seriously, but thats what i'm doing. (well not so sure about being taken seriously) i was in a punk band at age 21, i released my first techno tune at age 37, and i'm still making EDM 15 years later.
as a musician, time becomes malleable.
dont let the illusory and claustrophobic rules of society deflect you from your heart.
here's a quote from my bathroom wall;

'' Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.'' - Goethe

love the fact your twice my age and banging out tunes. its a real inspiration. the welsh thomas felhman.

i think as well with techno and other music and arts like literature, film, painting etc, most people don't start making relevant stuff until their late 20s, early 30s. i mean there are always exceptions, but 30s are usually the golden era for most in my experience. that is something to hold onto for anyone. its really never to late.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Atheory wrote:the welsh thomas felhman.
however i'm a geordie. :)
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

steevio wrote:
Atheory wrote:the welsh thomas felhman.
however i'm a geordie. :)
ah....well change where appropriate.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Atheory wrote:
i think as well with techno and other music and arts like literature, film, painting etc, most people don't start making relevant stuff until their late 20s, early 30s. i mean there are always exceptions, but 30s are usually the golden era for most in my experience. that is something to hold onto for anyone. its really never to late.
i think age is totally irrelevant when it comes to music, as long as you dont get stuck in a rut, and keep repeating yourself. i think i made some good music in my thirties, from the point of view of my own personal satisfaction, but i've never been happier since i began making EDM, and i feel like i'm now truly expressing myself, it feels like theres unlimited potential in it.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

steevio wrote:
Well that one thing is really the subonscious driver of these feelings. So thank you. Being raised in a traditional or conservative way means you get given strong ideas of what should be happening at each life stage. Continuing on with passions of your youth in the face of adult life is purely about overcoming that.

Thank you, and as said above, it is quite inspirational to know that you are still loving music so long after starting out.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk