politics of acquiring unreleased music

- open
lunatik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lunatik »

red kite, good point, i usually just play whats already out on record/white label.. like the sound of vinyl, analog goodness :) hot tracks make it to vinyl, i buy it, or finagle a copy from a friend, and then i play it, everybody wins! fun time
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

my generation Im .....i'm 31... collected/collect mp3's to hear the track before buying the vinyl ..

at one point less than half the sites that your ordered vinyl from didn't have sound samples....

* just the other day.. I was lectured on soul seek because my sound samples were low kps.. lol

I think each generation holds it's own loyalty... the new is very digital... perhaps they are more inclined to buy the mp3 due to the digital format that is in the market place..

I just think the mp3s will always very much serve a promotion purpose... not sure when...all of a sudden...they were tracks people were/are playing out..

^^ agree with vinyl.. after hearing countless issues still after all the updates for the software people use.. I still prefer holding something / knowing that I paid the record company who supported the artist..
Last edited by John Clees on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

I am against illegal downloading of unreleased tracks, although many of my peers are not. Because I would not want the same done to me.

I have been given some unreleased material. I wanted to use a track one time on a mix of mine, so I asked the artist if I could use it. He said no, because a label was going to release it later in the summer. So I did not use it. Well, I put 10 seconds of it in a breakdown of another track in the mix. But basically, I did not use it and did not claim it in the tracklisting.

Out of RESPECT for the artist and his wishes. I would expect the exact same from anyone that I gave an unreleased promo to.

The ONLY track I have downloaded from a p2p or torrent site was Audion's "I'm a Man" because it wasn't available in my region on Beatport or whatever.

Anyways, I guess it all comes down to your own morals and your consciousness of responsibility and your respect for others. Remember, it IS stealing.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

jessejames wrote: The ONLY track I have downloaded from a p2p or torrent site was Audion's "I'm a Man" because it wasn't available in my region on Beatport or whatever.
Thats totally understandable and it was already released. Shame on that region issue. :)
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

god...where to begin on this one...

pheek hit the majority of the concept on the head, so i'll applaud my buddy jp on that one.

the other side of most of this, and the request room is a good benchmark for this one, is that there's so many people that just want to emulate the big minimal dj's (richie, ricardo, luciano, matt dear, ryan elliott, rhadoo, etc) and pretty much just copy them. they spend days identifying a track, then one of them ponies it up and its spread around like wildfire for everyone to grab. we end up with a slew of watered down dj sets with nothing original or interesting because everyone has the same sh!t.

anyone that has ever djed for more than seven or eight years knows that one of the main things to set yourself apart is having unreleased sh!t. that's always been a part of the game, and it always will. again, if we all played the same stuff, whats the point in me spending 30$ on a ticket to see richie? but the new problem that arose with the growth of the internet was the inevitable rise of pirating. everything is pirated.

but, what is interesting, as someone pointed out, a lot of people follow a "try before you buy" motto and actually do spend the money once they know they're not wasting it. i myself am guilty of this, especially with the flood of absolutely horrendously bad tracks out there - i'm not going to spend 100$ on beatport / vinyl and only end up with 15$ worth of good stuff. i'd be furiuous! i've downloaded low-bitrate versions of unreleased stuff and it sits in an excel file of "look for this to release" and i buy it. if its crap, its immediately purged off my computer.

my mp3 directory for my serato is far removed from slsk or other p2p programs for a good reason. one - i have stuff on there that was given to me under explicit directions to NOT share in any way, shape or form. some of them i've been told to not even use in mix cd's. but two - going back to what was said earlier - what i have that you don't is what sets me apart from you as a dj.

i, personally, do not see the point of all having the same songs, for more than one reason. its really retarded that we have a mess of dj's that can't think or do the legwork themselves to dig the bins and find some good music - they have to rely on another dj's tracklist or id request to hear something good, and they shut their brains off and let everyone else do the work. but the other aspect is that there are more people out there that don't give a sh!t about spending the money for the real release after they "try it out", and we end up with starving artists all across the board, and too many dj's than are actually needed (90% of them being crap).

what fucking fun is being a dj or involved in music if you put zero effort in to it?

i got in to this music over a decade ago because of the experience of always finding new things. the internet has allowed me to broaden my horizons, and i find myself sitting online, trolling and scouring forum after forum, site after site trying to discover better and more interesting music, not only to keep myself interested, but to keep myself from following the herd.

i have a million friends that, like myself, refuse to just play the same sh!t richie, villaobos, luciano, troy, and all the berliners jam down our throats. half of us get zero respect because when we post a mix or a tracklist, if people don't see the "hits", they don't give enough of a sh!t to download it...and that, to be honest, is fucking pathetic.

the point in all of this is that the pirating and sharing of music, be it released or unreleased, stagnates an entire genre and scene, and pretty much forces the consumers to not give enough of a sh!t. attendance at events is down because whats the point in getting a ticket when you can hear the sets two days later on rapidshare downloads? vinyl purchases, and even mp3 purchases are slowing down because crafty people are realizing that there's no drm, so one person just needs to spend the money and we can all share in the fun.

its too easy, and that, in turn, is ruining everything for everyone.

there's no pride attached to anything like there was in the mid 90's and prior. there's no respect. its just constant "gimme gimme gimme" attached to a sense of entitlement for ownership of something you can't obtain yet.

guess what...you're not a better dj because of what you play, but for how you play it.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

thats so on the money, I can't tell... 8)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

Robot Criminal wrote:thats so on the money, I can't tell... 8)
sarcasm? ;)
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

element.8 wrote: i have a million friends that, like myself, refuse to just play the same sht richie, villaobos, luciano, troy, and all the berliners jam down our throats. half of us get zero respect because when we post a mix or a tracklist, if people don't see the "hits", they don't give enough of a sht to download it...and that, to be honest, is fucking pathetic.
since when were those guys or anyone else jamming berlin down anyones throats. Blame the music media and the sheeplike followings of typical music fans if you want to be angry.
freeeeeee