Ricardo Villalobos @ Parc Astrid, Liege 06.07.2007

- dj/live pa

Moderators: John Clees, Benjamin Fehr, Tim Tor, Thomas Melchior

sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

I think this mix is sick. It's not too hard or fast.. In fact, I like my sh!t at this hour to be a lot harder.
..::ArenaRockForAndroids::..

http://soundcloud.com/danieklerr
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

omeed wrote:so yes...in my book ... this is CRAP ... it certainly does not live up to his reputation
You mean: It does not live up to your expectations. There's a minor but important difference. Because Villalobos shows here he can deliver different sounds on different occasions, and he can play a pushing techno set as well as a groovy minimal house one. That's certainly more than I can say about many other "reputation" DJs. Usually "reputation" seems to mean for most people to deliver what everybody expects, or in other words - being plain boring. At least Villalobos is always good for a surprise, whether you like it or not.

And just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it's bad. That's what I meant (not quite serious) with "mnml blockhead" attitude. Okay, and sorry that I forgot to hit the irony button, but it's really impressive how fast people get pissed about nothing on this board.
sauce wrote:
Red Kite wrote:Too hard? C'mon! It's 132bpm.
Too hard doesn't mean too fast. I have heard some stuff that's about 120 that is as hard as nails. In fact, sometimes it's so sick that after listening to it for ten or so minutes you begin to think it's faster!
I absolutely agree, but I know a hell lot of people who call stuff "too hard" (or even "bad") just because it's above 130bpm, and that's some serious mnml blockhead sh!t! :wink:
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

Decent set. Worth a listen. Probably won't make my "keeper" list though. I like "traditional" Ricardo a lot more.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

Red Kite wrote: DJ Amok, that's too hard!
hahahah word, man :lol:
prenzlauer
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by prenzlauer »

Red Kite wrote:
sauce wrote:
Too hard doesn't mean too fast. I have heard some stuff that's about 120 that is as hard as nails. In fact, sometimes it's so sick that after listening to it for ten or so minutes you begin to think it's faster!
I absolutely agree, but I know a hell lot of people who call stuff "too hard" (or even "bad") just because it's above 130bpm, and that's some serious mnml blockhead sht! :wink:
To be fair, you are actually the only one to have brought up the tempo
domnugogu
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by domnugogu »

sh!t discusions ...
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

prenzlauer wrote:
Red Kite wrote:
sauce wrote:
I absolutely agree, but I know a hell lot of people who call stuff "too hard" (or even "bad") just because it's above 130bpm, and that's some serious mnml blockhead sht! :wink:
Because my argument was he's playing fast doesn't mean he's playing hard. And I don't find no other reason anyone could call it hard then.
domnugogu wrote:sht discusions ...
Wow, inspiring post! :shock:
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

prenzlauer wrote:
Red Kite wrote:
sauce wrote:
to be fair, I did first, on page 2:
stevësto wrote: have you heard any other ricardo sets? this is totally different from any previous. the bpm is way higher and its far from minimal. its not very memorable.
i'll never forget his harry klein set, or his hxxl clubnight sets, or his set with richie at mutek. those were memorable. because they were so good.

but this set was just ok. thats why i said not very memorable. i wont remember it for very long. it will get deleted next week.

but im grateful for any ricardo set that pops up because any ricardo set is much better than loads of other minimal dj sets. heartthrob, gaiser, magda, paco osuna, their sets are crap. monotonous. they're one listen sets ... i listen to them once and then delete. onur ozer is somewhat ok, but veers close to the crap category. his 5 days off set actually got a 2nd listen from me. im deleting his today though. wighnomy bros at zooma plauen or however its spelled, the 4 hour one, was fukin awesome.