mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

The man :D
stringfello
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stringfello »

actually, just to see how underground we are. I typed in Ultra 07, to You Tube just to see what would come up. WOW!!!!!! Miami always says that they are a mecca for electronic music. Well what I saw and what I heard sounds like, the people that still listen to that kind of music are stuck. at least here on this board we are challenging the music. That is what underground is all about. challenging what the status quo is. You may think that everyone is listening to what you listen too, but they are not. It only feels like it because you are emersed in it.
Reborn in Detroit
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

i must admit that the reason i titled this thread 'do we need to go back to the underground?' is more to provoke discussion, and that's what we've got going so good.

this also isnt about shitting on m-nus or anyone else for that matter. packing out clubs is understandable from the point of view of promoters who've lost money on gigs in the past and for musicians who've played to empty dancefloors.

i guess why i even raised the rather dangerous word 'underground' is because 'minimal' has really exploded in the last few years and well, i am having trouble sharing it. it is not an elitist thing, it is a much more basic question of enjoyment... normally when a sound goes more mainstream or becomes more popular, it gets diluted, the quality drops etc. but this hasnt quite happened with 'minimal'. as i think most of us would agree, we are being flooded with great music. so i cant just abandon it and say 'this is sh!t now.' but then, well going to parties and being jammed in like sardines and the music starts sounding sh!t real fast.

so how do you balance these kind of tensions? can you? or do just either opt for dancing in the woods by yourself or in the crowd with everyone?

hmm. more thinking required.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

stringfello wrote:actually, just to see how underground we are. I typed in Ultra 07, to You Tube just to see what would come up. WOW!!!!!! Miami always says that they are a mecca for electronic music. Well what I saw and what I heard sounds like, the people that still listen to that kind of music are stuck. at least here on this board we are challenging the music. That is what underground is all about. challenging what the status quo is. You may think that everyone is listening to what you listen too, but they are not. It only feels like it because you are emersed in it.
keep in mind that miami is only like that for one week of the year. for the rest it is all about mainstream vocal house and hiphop. Notice that virtually no artist discussed on here tours through there the rest of the year.
freeeeeee
Tromczynski
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Tromczynski »

I have read the topic's name as "do we need to go black background?" and was like hell yes! (black bg on the mnml.nl board).

Yes, I need rest.

(sorry for OT)

:lol:
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

the key fact may be the ever-growing net-label scene...

i'm soooo surprised by the quality of some of releases.
if there will be more and more quality net labels with their own concept & sound, and the true sharing (not stealing) will be possible,
then this scene could be really a something else.

i never saw this kinda net label movements in, for exemple, hip hop scene...
or rock scene...hell, never!

very very healthy..in my opinion, (i'm kinda feel guilty to give my "opinions" after reading my "jay hazy" post, but anyway..)
someone like dj l'embroullie is doing really an important thing.
(i don't know him personally)
oblak_21
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by oblak_21 »

where there is a lot of people, there is a lot of money..

some people who organize parties often dont give a f... about minor things like percenage of oxygen, temperature and how someone will get to the toilette without beeing steped on 4 about 1000 times..
all they worry about is money..

it will be just like in hip - hop...on the one side..commercial..and on the other underground.. every individual will know what will he chose..
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

milc wrote:the key fact may be the ever-growing net-label scene...

i'm soooo surprised by the quality of some of releases.
if there will be more and more quality net labels with their own concept & sound, and the true sharing (not stealing) will be possible,
then this scene could be really a something else.

i never saw this kinda net label movements in, for exemple, hip hop scene...
or rock scene...hell, never!

very very healthy..in my opinion, (i'm kinda feel guilty to give my "opinions" after reading my "jay hazy" post, but anyway..)
someone like dj l'embroullie is doing really an important thing.
(i don't know him personally)

probably healthy, but i think the whole concept was way to advanced for now. maybe in a decade when conventional means of music distribution shifts to something exotic, it can be of a great benefit to artists. so far it doesn't bring much to us, while it does to you (the listener).
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.