Berlin

- open
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

for more berlin shopping, go to mehringdamm in kreuzberg and find your way to bergmannstrasse. The space hall record store is in this area, as well as many clothing boutiques and second hand stores.
freeeeeee
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: berlin

Post by stevësto »

ilovedarkchocolate wrote:
underl_ne wrote: I think the shops and boutiques in those streets behind alexanderplatz are so cool. lots of money invested in abstract coolness, weird clothes and toys. Its a real pleasure to amble around and buy things to bring back.

they got something right over there and its very interesting and foreign to me but I am not sure I could handle the upheaval and language barrier of living there. Saying that, london is turning into a time bomb, lots of attitude and a dangerous feel in the air, just ends up turning us into hard shells :evil:

I get the same liberal, safe feeling while in holland so respect out to all the dutch people on this forum, you guys also got the right idea about society. Where else is good to escape to you think, spain, south of france?
That place behind Alexanderplatz might just be Mitte, the region where I stayed in Berlin, that I loved so much (where is "behind" on a map? I'm not sure).

And about escaping, I'm not sure if France is so friendly if you don't speak French. An American friend in art school had some bad experiences that way. I don't know about Spain, they might be more foreignerfriendly over there.

But you'll always be welcome over here! We mostly like our foreigners and we never expect them to speak Dutch ;)
spain was not friendly to me. maybe because im american, not sure. i was in madrid before going to ibiza, it was the most pretentious, unfriendly vibe ive ever felt, everywhere in the city, ibiza was like that too. holland was such a more friendly happier place, so was germany.
hotpace
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: berlin

Post by hotpace »

stevësto wrote:
spain was not friendly to me. maybe because im american, not sure. i was in madrid before going to ibiza, it was the most pretentious, unfriendly vibe ive ever felt, everywhere in the city, ibiza was like that too. holland was such a more friendly happier place, so was germany.
ditto that mate! and i'm english but i felt them vibes too in spain! especially madrid as well!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Well i just got back from berlin. The german people are well nice. Prob the nicest bunch of people i have ever met. Top place too, ended up going panarama bar both friday/sat night then bar 25 for the afters. Had a great time, cant wait to go back.
SLICES
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SLICES »

you should check this DVD. We produced them for Time Out and there are a lot of nice Berlin Tips included, not only the usual ones.

Time Out presents The Other Side Of Berlin (CD+DVD)

If you’re an electronica fan visiting a strange town, what could be cooler than having a DJ play you some cool tracks and show you around town?

That’s the basic premise of Time Out’s The Other Side Berlin. The release combines a CD and a DVD to create a multimedia blitzkreig that introduces you to the sounds and sights of Berlin.

DJ Ellen Allien is your personal guide. The CD features a really varied set of tracks, including Helden, David Bowie’s Heroes auf Deutsch and some Berlin-themed tracks by Quarks, Âme, Miss Kittin, Plastikman, Monolake and Ricardo Villalobos.

But that’s just half of the package. The DVD takes you one a visual tour of Berlin, with Allien as the guide. The soundtrack is full of more great electronica, and Allien shows you her favorite spots for getting cheap jeans, silk baby dolls, clothes for clubbing and great food.

She even takes a visit to an international shrine of analogue gear, Schneiders Buero, where she checks out their Future-Retro Revolution, some anal-offenders from Metasonix and even some German gear from Curetronic. After that, she takes you crate-digging.

My type of tour-guide.

In addition to Allien’s tour, the DVD features a selection of visual tours of Berlin, with sections on Shopping, Food, Nightlife, etc.

All in all, the The Other Side CD+DVD series is a great idea, and Ellen Allien makes a perfect guide to the sites and sounds of Berlin for fans of electronic music.

I would have like to have seen a booklet with a track listing for the DVD and also a directory to the locations visited. Nevertheless, for the price of a standard CD, Time Out gives you a solid CD plus a DVD, making this a great deal.

I hope these are a success for Time Out, because it would be fantastic to have guides like this available to more cities.

Words from: www.synthtopia.com
Green
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Green »

I went not so long ago and cant wait to go back, its always held some sort of curiosity for me. I think its the mental picture that I build up of a place before I go, I get all intrigued and excited about whether it will be like what I had imagined. As with every place ive been to its always been better in reality even when things dont always go the way you want them to.

For us (GirlF) berlin was brilliant, beautifull yet rough around the edges, modern yet historic, friendly accomodating and musically sh!t-hot. Berlni is genrally not like by the rest of Germany because of its ecconomic drain on the country, there is no industry, no finance, it doesnt bring in any money at all bar tourism yet it spends lots on its appearance, all of which are a good reason to like it.
We stayed at circus and although its called a hostel at £50 a night it aint a run of the mill hostel. I would recommend this to all who want some comfort at the end of your adventure, theres also the availability for much cheaper dorms, double rooms etc and theres the balcony rooms at the top which we took. Very nice indeed, clean well featured room, quiet with a good view. The staff are very helpful and informative, bars a good starter again nice staff. Take the free tour, excellent and good to know a little about what we were seeing.

We were only there for three nights and went to both watergate and panarama bar, I loved both. Im totally into the music and the rest is a bonus, I could of been in a barn with holes in the roof in the pissing rain but if the music is good then im enjoying, that said I thought the club was a nice size, cool lighting, great sound system.

Berghain, well id read all the stories and listened to advice and me the GF just strutted up and in, bingo. Great music, and exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately during that night someone spiked my GF with what we eventually reckoned was Rhohypnol, it was a little fucked for a while but shes a tough Scottish lass. Of course we couldnt say for sure who was behind it although we had an idea. We still got a good boogie on before leaving at around 5 to get back to the Circus for the Flight back to Glasgow at 9am Despite this, the whole experience of Berlin and its clubs was brilliant, Berlin has such a History which cant be ignored, a history which has sculpted and contributed to the berlin that it is now. But visit now before its the new cool.

Id like to try Tokyo next when I can afford it
Last edited by Green on Thu May 17, 2007 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Up for the Downstroke
TiEZ
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TiEZ »

it`s already the new cool.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Just booked my tickets to go back next month. Am hopefully staying at circus this time round though.