Jay Haze interview on RA

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:@Barem: One thing you're forgetting is that some people like to learn the background of musicians they enjoy. Some people may consider Jay Haze to be a great musician. How did get that way? What was his inspiration or what did he go through in life to develop his sound? Some people are interested in learning about the questions. If he would have spent the whole interview talking about how he makes his music or what gear he is into, it would have been the most boring read in ages.

I think part of the reason everybody went nuts for the Richie Hawtin Slices documentary is because they got an insight to the human side of Hawtin, not the music/marketing machine we always see. Most Hawtin interviews are very predictable, as its him speaking about whatever CD or hardware he is getting paid to endorse these days. People like hearing about what makes their favorite musicians tick!
JackNine wrote:IMO it all comes down to this:

The techno world blew past Jay years ago and he just flat out can't keep up with guys like Sleeparchive, Tractile, Massi DL, or Franco Cinelli. These are the guys who are pushing techno right now. Jay's sound is weak, and he's grasping at anything he can to try to become the next big thing. And that will be his downfall.

Either come to grips with reality and admit you aren't anywhere near the forefront and do something else, or start making good music.
Why does everyone feel that in order to stay relevant in music, you have to work hard to stay in the forefront? Why can't an artist work and travel at the pace he or she desires? Maybe Haze is happy with the level he is at, and he's not worried about bigger success or monster record deals with M-nus.

I like the fact that you mention artists like "Sleeparchive, Tractile, Massi DL, or Franco Cinelli" and how Jay can't keep up with them. I think all those guys are good producers too (aside from Franco), but aside from some Sleeparchive tracks here or there, all of that sht won't even be memorable in 2-3 years time, just as half the drumtracks from 2000-2004 are lost in history.

fantastic perspective... :!: :!: :!:

thank you jay for laying down message(s) for me to pick up to allow myself to impliment immediate change in my life... and also the ability to address a few deep concerns I've had for some time....

caes in point: http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8506&start=60

thank you for helping me adjust / address / remove....... the self bost / hype / fame hungry friends / folks from my life... this was never what I saut after and your interview single handly gave my strengh to make a difference in my life..

(thank you) from the bottom of my heart..
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote: Why does everyone feel that in order to stay relevant in music, you have to work hard to stay in the forefront? Why can't an artist work and travel at the pace he or she desires? Maybe Haze is happy with the level he is at, and he's not worried about bigger success or monster record deals with M-nus.
I'm not saying he -has- to do anything. But when you have an interview on a site like RA and spend more time telling us how everyone else sucks and how great your own music is... I guess it's just a little obvious where your integrity stands.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote: I like the fact that you mention artists like "Sleeparchive, Tractile, Massi DL, or Franco Cinelli" and how Jay can't keep up with them. I think all those guys are good producers too (aside from Franco), but aside from some Sleeparchive tracks here or there, all of that sht won't even be memorable in 2-3 years time, just as half the drumtracks from 2000-2004 are lost in history.
It's not so much about being remembered but more to do with inspiration and direction. Massi DL and Cinelli and tons of others are pushing the sound forward. Look at Matthew Dear's last few releases. Same thing. Say what you will but these guys aren't living in the past... they are innovators and they're doing a sh!t-ton more for dance music than Jay Haze and his strange negative spin on the industry will ever do.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

JackNine wrote:
I'm not saying he -has- to do anything. But when you have an interview on a site like RA and spend more time telling us how everyone else sucks and how great your own music is... I guess it's just a little obvious where your integrity stands.
Fair enough. But if he would have spent the interview talking about how great m-nus was instead, people wouldn't be up in arms right now. It's just an interview, and interviews give insight into whats going on in a person's head...the results aren't always pretty.

JackNine wrote: It's not so much about being remembered but more to do with inspiration and direction. Massi DL and Cinelli and tons of others are pushing the sound forward. Look at Matthew Dear's last few releases. Same thing. Say what you will but these guys aren't living in the past... they are innovators and they're doing a sht-ton more for dance music than Jay Haze and his strange negative spin on the industry will ever do.
I still don't feel those names are very inspiring or provide direction. Now, since it's an opinionated matter, neither of us will truly know for now and only time can tell. There's a difference between being an excellent producer of the moment, and spawning inspiration to techno fans of today as well as tomorrow. I could get into this further and say Dear is doing this but so-and-so is only do that. That's not really productive so I'll stop here and agree to disagree. :) Lastly, I don't really think Jay Haze is trying to do anything for dance music rather than please anybody who wants to listen and enjoy what he does.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote: Fair enough. But if he would have spent the interview talking about how great m-nus was instead, people wouldn't be up in arms right now. It's just an interview, and interviews give insight into whats going on in a person's head...the results aren't always pretty.
I doubt people are really "up at arms." Anyone who's been around long enough sees the immaturity in Haze's comments. But I see your point, too.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote: I still don't feel those names are very inspiring or provide direction. Now, since it's an opinionated matter, neither of us will truly know for now and only time can tell. There's a difference between being an excellent producer of the moment, and spawning inspiration to techno fans of today as well as tomorrow. I could get into this further and say Dear is doing this but so-and-so is only do that. That's not really productive so I'll stop here and agree to disagree. :) Lastly, I don't really think Jay Haze is trying to do anything for dance music rather than please anybody who wants to listen and enjoy what he does.
I think time will show that tracks by Sleeps, Dear, Massi and others I was referring to will still keep people moving in years to come. Tracks "of the moment" in that quality range just don't fade over time. I still listen to many "tracks of the moment" from years ago.

A good track is a good track but I agree that it depends what you like. I'm just saying that in my circle (which is quite diverse musically), tracks like Bay of Figs get quite the reaction while not a single one of us have dropped a Haze track for years. He's telling us how he's "going back to the Chicago roots" and we just don't see it. We all grew up here and let me tell you there is nothing "Chicago" about his current releases.
df
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by df »

JackNine wrote: He's telling us how he's "going back to the Chicago roots" and we just don't see it. We all grew up here and let me tell you there is nothing "Chicago" about his current releases.
LOL ;d
peter glitch and crackle
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by peter glitch and crackle »

JackNine wrote: A good track is a good track but I agree that it depends what you like. I'm just saying that in my circle (which is quite diverse musically), tracks like Bay of Figs get quite the reaction while not a single one of us have dropped a Haze track for years. He's telling us how he's "going back to the Chicago roots" and we just don't see it. We all grew up here and let me tell you there is nothing "Chicago" about his current releases.
have you listened to anything haze has done lately? jays last album "children of love" has soo much chicago in it! and if you think haze tracks dont rock the floor, you have never been in the club when one comes on!
jacknine, have you listened to anything new jay haze has done? maybe you should try listening to the "dark side of the pony part2" by fuckpony for instance. or maybe you could refer to his last record on cocoon as fuckaponydelic which is a total club hit, with tons of chicago and detroit influence. or maybe even check out jay haze "soul in a bottle" your comments may be valid to some people, but it just shows me you have not heard jays new music at all.
and sorry, but to actually say massi dl is pushing music forward, to remind you he has 2 records out. it usually takes more than that to make an impact.
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

peter glitch and crackle wrote:
JackNine wrote: A good track is a good track but I agree that it depends what you like. I'm just saying that in my circle (which is quite diverse musically), tracks like Bay of Figs get quite the reaction while not a single one of us have dropped a Haze track for years. He's telling us how he's "going back to the Chicago roots" and we just don't see it. We all grew up here and let me tell you there is nothing "Chicago" about his current releases.
have you listened to anything haze has done lately? jays last album "children of love" has soo much chicago in it! and if you think haze tracks dont rock the floor, you have never been in the club when one comes on!
jacknine, have you listened to anything new jay haze has done? maybe you should try listening to the "dark side of the pony part2" by fuckpony for instance. or maybe you could refer to his last record on cocoon as fuckaponydelic which is a total club hit, with tons of chicago and detroit influence. or maybe even check out jay haze "soul in a bottle" your comments may be valid to some people, but it just shows me you have not heard jays new music at all.
and sorry, but to actually say massi dl is pushing music forward, to remind you he has 2 records out. it usually takes more than that to make an impact.
no offence to massi, the guy defo has talent and i'm sure will be makin future waves fo sho, but i agree with you, i would hardly say he's pushing things forward at the moment. for me 'minimal mushrooms' seems to use similar production techniques to 'paco osuna - crazy', which was amazingly exciting when i heard hawtin drop it back in april06, but its not grabbing me that much now.
turnbacktheclock
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by turnbacktheclock »

i didn't weigh in on this one on purpose. it was way too easy and everyone jumped on it all over the web.

but bottom line.. i liked a couple things he's done/been involved with.. but he really hasn't done anything that important in my eyes. its funny to me that he is getting all this attention based entirely on what people are calling "contraversial" words. anyone can say sh!t about anyone. maybe i should start talking trash about high profile people to some magazine and then ill get published too... and they'll completely neglect the fact that i dont even make music. hardly different from the so-called dark side of jay haze. speaking of which.. does anyone else feel like the "dark side" of jay haze would be him talking about his own music in the interview?
Now *that*, was a crime, you purse-grabbing pukes. And *this* is the penalty.