mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

p_ACHE wrote: My approach is maybe wrong, and I think that I tend to compose in a traditional way (song), which can give headache when trying to make techno.

Would a modular sequencing environment help me on this thing ?
absolutely, it totally takes you away from traditional timeline arrangement structures.

however its just as easy to get into loops as with a software sequencer, the only difference is that its really easy to get out of them too. when i used to use software sequencing i used to get stuck with loops, i'd keep pushing them, trying to improve them, sometimes for weeks. now i'm just not precious about loops anymore, if i feel i'm getting stuck i just flick a few switches, turn a few knobs and off i go on a different adventure.

i never waste time on my modular.
p_ACHE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by p_ACHE »

oblioblioblio: thanks for the links, found good stuff on this soundcloud page.

steevio: sounds like the holy grail for making (live) EDM. I'm under the impression that modulars are big in the experimental (for a lack of a better term) scene, but very overlooked in the EDM scene. Does it seem just too complicated? The price might be a reason, but again going hardware with dedicated synths/effects/drummachines seems to be as expensive.
I personally think that syncing and sequencing independent boxes via midi (worth if you want to add a computer) is incredibly complicated.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

to be honest bro, syncing and sequencing independent boxes via midi is increadibly easy.

i did nothing else for a very long time till i discovered modular.

i personally think that using something like Ableton to sequence external boxes is not worth it. (if thats all you're doing with it) Ableton is an increadibly versatile platform, but its way over complex software for simple midi sequencing.

i started midi sequencing with Cubase 2 on a floppy disc drive on an Atari ST in 1991 and it was purely designed for midi, (no audio back then) It was rock solid, easy to understand, had absolutely everything you need for midi, and still does !! i would quite happily go out live with my old Atari (it has midi ports built in !) now and be confident that everything would synch up perfectly and not crash.

midi is easy. although i dont use midi now, up till a couple of years ago i was still using an old version of Cubase 5 for my midi sequencing even though i had the latest up to date versions of Cubase and Ableton on my PC, simply because i didnt need all the audio / softsynth stuff and the interface was way better and clearer and easy to use for simple midi work.

midi is old technology, and doesnt require a state of the art DAW to run it.

modular is definitely something you need to take your time over, it can get expensive if you get addicted, but if you buy modules one at a time when you know what you need, and sell ones that dont work for you, you can build your rig slowly.
its not as complicated as it looks, in many ways its easier, because you learn about synthesis very quickly as you go along, there are no short cuts, there's no being lazy and there's no jumping from one device to another without learning it properly.

modern analogue / digital hybrid synths are not in the same league, and imho unreliable, cheaply made, and dont sound as good as the original analogue synths they are emulating.
the only exception to that rule from my own experience is the Moog Voyager.
but if you cant afford to go modular, they are the next best option.
Last edited by steevio on Thu May 30, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think modulars aren't that popular with edm because they require a lot of dedication and that requires sacrifice. It's not the same journey that many musicians take.

Obviously the money thing is important but there are ways around that. I'm from a fairly typical middle class background but have built a world class studio and that has only been possible from a lot of resourcefulness, self education and having some very smart people around me willing to help. It certainly didn't arrive on a plate.

I absolutely believe that modular is the technology most in harmony with our bodies, minds and spirits. The modules are living manifestations of our wishes, the patch cords are physical neurology.

Lots of other technology is effective and can be put to good use by brilliant musicians. But in my eyes modular is the option most deserving of my respect.

With money and music I have developed a strategy to prevent me loosing my mind. I have to look at things in the long term. I spent £700 on a Mac computer, and within 3 years it was a complete write off, the only thing I salvaged from it was my GAS 'pop' CD that was stuck in it. This amount of money will get me a decent amount of modules. So yeah, the computer will do everything and the module will do comparatively very little. However, the module has been designed to last for 100 years with occaisional servicing, and if I decide to sell it I will get the same price (or probably more in the future when they are 'vintage').

So, look at the expense of a modular as an investment in your self. It makes economic sense and you absolutely deserve happiness in your life time, and if that comes from a skill then all the better.
p_ACHE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by p_ACHE »

good point. However I have to disagree on the dedication and sacrifice. I firmly believe that any music that we love is the result of a lot of dedication and sacrifice.
Funny you mention GAS. Listening to it right now.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i disgree but I will agree that I'm an asshole to say it! :)

Glad you're feeling the KFW!
p_ACHE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by p_ACHE »

haha. I guess you have your reasons ;)
KFW ?