- wax
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: [PERLON91] Ricardo Villalobos - “Any Ideas”

Post by Kiani »

blizt wrote:Philip Sherburne review:

http://www.spin.com/blogs/minimal-maest ... rns-perlon
That 'is it a cry for help' and 'lately the fans discuss if he again train-wrecked all night long' crap is typical for journalists. Portraying an artist as if he or she is fallen into the dark side of fame, isn't that done enough already? At least the guy still has the guts to produce the nowadays less popular sound he partly invented.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i think you misunderstood the review, he just said the fans have those positions.

And its true. Everytime i go or talk about a villalobos gig, there are people who say it was amazing and people who say he trainwrecked hard, and he was a lot better a long time ago.
it happend even to me.
the journalist only tells us how people feel about ricardo, he nowhere states his own opinion, in fact his last paragraph says that he withholds his opionion on this release.

i also felt exactly like that review. at first i thought, really thats all you got?

and then i bought it, cause i know there will be a time in the future where its most likely that i think to myself: this is an amazing release.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Got my record today. And since its day time decided to blast the thing max volume on my studio.

First track sounds fantastic. True, it's just repetition with subtles variations combining odd time signatures... but it rocks. The groove is killer and I like the way he creates depth with the swinging "liquid" hihat and percussion.
Second track is ricardo toying with his modular stuff making the machines "scream and talk". That's what it sounds to me :lol: And then there is the melody that feels like it could last forever and ever. Hypnotic. Try to follow the bass. It's not playing a normal 4/4 time signature. As I said before this side sounds like it will work well in those "special moments, when you less expect it.
Oh and the whole release is full of bleeps, blops and grunts and I love that :lol:

Good record, but for a solo release I was expecting to hear tracks with more narrative like "Drummolator", "Andruic", "Skinfummel" or "Minimoonstar". Let's wait :roll:
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

Themis wrote:i think you misunderstood the review, he just said the fans have those positions.

And its true. Everytime i go or talk about a villalobos gig, there are people who say it was amazing and people who say he trainwrecked hard, and he was a lot better a long time ago.
it happend even to me.
the journalist only tells us how people feel about ricardo, he nowhere states his own opinion, in fact his last paragraph says that he withholds his opionion on this release.

i also felt exactly like that review. at first i thought, really thats all you got?

and then i bought it, cause i know there will be a time in the future where its most likely that i think to myself: this is an amazing release.
i indeed think that this is what is the general idea of the public considering villalobos, but the 'cry for help' is so mtv emo. i hope you understand what i'm talking about :). I just think Ricardo has reached that part in his career where the genre he used to be the king of, is just largely disappeared. The guy has become older, has a kid (or kids, dunno) and wants to do other things in life. He said he would slow things down a bit, focus more on jazz and experimental music. No need to suggest he needs the 'cry for help' blabla ;)