modular etc etc

- ask away
metaBit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: modular etc etc

Post by metaBit »

Thanks guys!

The other gear I have is a Mopho Keyboard, a Vermona DRM1 mkIII, a x0xb0x, a Roland HS-60 (which is a Juno 106 with speakers), and a Moogerfooger Analog Delay and then a Mac running Ableton which I mostly use for sequencing and hosting effects plug-ins.

The Z3000 I have is already an mkII (I wrote down the wrong model in my list) and I have been thinking of getting a second one for another VCO because of the easy FM possibilities that would give me. That said I do hear the argument for diversity...

I definitely want another filter. There are so many to choose from that it is difficult to pick. A good problem to have I suppose!

The lack of Maths stands out to me too. Seems to be such a mainstay of modular systems but I have been unsure if it was something I needed. Watched a really great video of it last night and can definitely see the appeal.

Expert Sleepers would be really cool and I may go that road, but what would it take to get a basic sequencing setup with modules? Some of the things that have caught my eye as far as that goes are the Z8000 Matrix Sequencer and the Intelijel uStep. What other modules would one need to start some basic sequencing with those or what other starter sequencing setups do people recommend?
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

For filters, you really can't go wrong with doepfer. I've got my eyes on the A-106-5 if it ever goes back in stock. The Z2040 is really fantastic and may put anything else you get to shame. The A-120 might be a good vanilla moog like filter. I have a A-102 which I really like. It's kinda touchy, but produces a unique filtered tone compared to my other filters.

Have a look at wave folders too, which are the opposite of filters (adds harmonics to low harmonic waveforms). I've got the STG wavefolder and it has a great range for folding from subtle to hardcore. I like to add it to basslines for a little extra beef. The triple wave folder is highly regarded as well.

The uStep / Z8000 combo is pretty popular. I've never used it myself. Personally, I wish someone would release something like the A-155/A-154 that doesn't take up a whole row nearly. An oberkorn with the A-155/A-154 features would be cool. Then, it's all utility modules like sequential switches, clock dividers, trigger delays, logic modules, etc.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

metaBit wrote:Thanks guys!

The other gear I have is a Mopho Keyboard, a x0xb0x, a Roland HS-60 (which is a Juno 106 with speakers), and a Moogerfooger Analog Delay and then a Mac running Ableton which I mostly use for sequencing and hosting effects plug-ins.

The Z3000 I have is already an mkII (I wrote down the wrong model in my list) and I have been thinking of getting a second one for another VCO because of the easy FM possibilities that would give me. That said I do hear the argument for diversity...

I definitely want another filter. There are so many to choose from that it is difficult to pick. A good problem to have I suppose!

The lack of Maths stands out to me too. Seems to be such a mainstay of modular systems but I have been unsure if it was something I needed. Watched a really great video of it last night and can definitely see the appeal.

Expert Sleepers would be really cool and I may go that road, but what would it take to get a basic sequencing setup with modules? Some of the things that have caught my eye as far as that goes are the Z8000 Matrix Sequencer and the Intelijel uStep. What other modules would one need to start some basic sequencing with those or what other starter sequencing setups do people recommend?
i'd say you dont need a Maths at this stage, your quad LFO and Quad ADSR cover a fair bit of what the maths can do.

sequencing is a difficult one, because with basic sequencing youre not getting much that software cannot do, but you need a better midi/CV convertor, maybe a kenton pro 2 or something or software -maybe Volta for the Mac
its when you have two or more sequencers that things start to happen, (and i lnclude in that things like sequential switches)
I have a Z8000, and i wouldnt recommend it as a first sequencer, for a start it doesnt do triggers, its a CV sequencer and for it to be any use for tunage you also need a quantiser. i use mine to send CV patterns to modulate VCAs etc.

i absolutely swear by the doepfer A155/154 combo in conjuntion with other doepfer seq. modules like the A150, A151. A152, A156 and the A160/161 clock divider.
but if you really want to get into the techno you need two A155/154 s.
now you're talking about alot of modules and money.

for a basic set-up you could get away with A155, A154, A151, A156.

i have no experience with the ustep but i dont like the lack of switches and controls, for sequencing you have to get your hands on knobs and switches.
and stay well clear of the Flame Clockwork, its one of the only modules i actually hated and sold really quickly.

i have to say again though that 2 xZ3000 is the way to go, you not going to get anything in another VCO that can out perform that combination, its the absolute heart of my system, and the linear FM is way better than on any other VCO ive got or tried, so smooth !

edit just in answer to Phase ghost's mentioning of the size problem of the A155/154, i agree yes its big, but it really depends on whether cramming as much into a small space with all the hassle of forests of patch cords and no access to knobs is more attractive than an easy access playable instrument or not.

i really dont get the obsession with creating an non-ergonomic instrument, you'd never buy a synth that you couldnt play because everything was crammed together in a tiny space would you. its insanity. i actually space out my modules with 2hp blanking panels so that i can play my instrument. i think that the obsession comes from most people not buying big enough cases in the first place, they dont plan ahead for expansion and get frustrated when they cant fit in another few modules.
metaBit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by metaBit »

I think my budget is going to dictate that I stick with sequencing from my computer for now and instead focus on getting the second VCO (Z3000mkII), another filter, another VCA and a better MIDI to CV converter. That Kenton module looks nice for that. I'm assuming I could use the four auxiliary outputs for CV or Gate. Is that correct?

I currently only have one mixer, the STG .Mix which I use as the output from my modular to my computer's audio interface (AudioFire12). Should I also get another mixer to mix the two VCOs?

Also, what about attenuators for CV signals? How important are those?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I like spacious modules. I don't like the cram everything into small space aesthetic and I like nice erganomic layouts.

I agree with steevio that sequencing is probably the most crucial area for techno.

For me sequencing is a very expansive topic. I use envelopes from the Wiard Envelators as a building block of my sequencers, and I consider Source of Uncertainty type modules to be a form of sequencing. Basically anything that generates a pattern over time with options to control it, or to let it control other things is a sequencer type device. Of course, the options that are avaialable from specific sequencer devices are extremely interesting to a techno enthusiast. Specifically the Tiptop matrix sequencer, and some of the Deopfer modules like 155/154, precision adders, comparators etc etc.

It's worth using some caution about planning ahead. I made too many quick decisions and ended up getting sucked into the Buy Sell Trade market, but even though I've lost money from buying stuff new and selling it, I'm really glad that I went thru a steep learning curve and can be 100% sure that I have the exact instrument of my dreams.

My favourite sound generation tools are by Wiard and Metasonix. Pretty much everything that is available is pretty exceptional, from cheap stuff to expensive stuff. THis is where most of the current generation of exceptional synth designers are plying their trade.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

you can probably just mix vco outputs with a Mult, but it is a bit of a controversial topic, becuase you could damage modules that way, as you connecting an output to another output, but most modules are protected from this kind of damage with a resistor before the output jack.

If you want to use a computer you can use a soundcard like Motu 828mk1 (cheap on ebay) or there is a product by Expert Sleepers that will allow you to put VC in and out of any soundcard
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

metaBit wrote:I think my budget is going to dictate that I stick with sequencing from my computer for now and instead focus on getting the second VCO (Z3000mkII), another filter, another VCA and a better MIDI to CV converter. That Kenton module looks nice for that. I'm assuming I could use the four auxiliary outputs for CV or Gate. Is that correct?

I currently only have one mixer, the STG .Mix which I use as the output from my modular to my computer's audio interface (AudioFire12). Should I also get another mixer to mix the two VCOs?

Also, what about attenuators for CV signals? How important are those?
i mix in a mixing desk, as soon as you have enough outputs from your modular, a desk is the way to go, while you only have a few you can get away with module mixers.

attenuators are essential, and even more important offset generators / polarisers.
ive got loads of them both, you cant have enough really.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

steevio wrote:attenuators are essential, and even more important offset generators / polarisers
Definitely. The A-138c is nice polarizing mixer that I use a lot.