Djing Digital or CD?

- ask away
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Cheaper wrote:i switched back from Traktor to vinyl and cds.

Traktor is great but you tend to mix more with the use of your eyes than your ears...which isn't very good.
+1

For some people the waveform display is a selling point... for me I really didn't like how it quickly became a crutch
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
swarlied
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by swarlied »

essence: digital djing is still not a satisfying solution.
i am a digital purist, i was growing up completly digital. i have had endless emotional and kognitive discussions with djs about pros and cons.

finally i came to the conclusion, that i will only play with vinyls in the future, or maybe when this medium died with cds. but i will never ever watch into a screen with an apple on backside and look like a officeman checking emails.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

swarlied wrote: but i will never ever watch into a screen with an apple on backside and look like a officeman checking emails.
What is the difference from going through your vinyl crate for 2 minutes, and looking into the screen for 2 minutes?
Are you checking your mobile phone secretly while pretending to browse through vinyls? I think you are!!

This argument is still and has always been one of the most stupid, sorry to say.
Checking emails? Come on..
frickler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by frickler »

when i had to decide for a audio interface for producing, my first choice was the audio 8 so i could also use it with traktor pro. right now im djing with my cdjs, but i thought itd be kool not to burn all these cds.
but than i thought about it again, and i gotta say i just dont wanna dj looking at a laptop screen all the time. its about the music and interacting with people and i gotta say a laptop kills that. also, you have to setup the thing before starting, and im to lazy for that :D
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

swarlied wrote:essence: digital djing is still not a satisfying solution.
i am a digital purist, i was growing up completly digital. i have had endless emotional and kognitive discussions with djs about pros and cons.

finally i came to the conclusion, that i will only play with vinyls in the future, or maybe when this medium died with cds. but i will never ever watch into a screen with an apple on backside and look like a officeman checking emails.
so when you play with cd's you will not ever watch the screen of the cdj-1000 for the waveform or the track number or whatever? Good luck with that. ;)
What a load of bollocks. Whether you are looking into a crate of vinyl or on your screen to select a track, what's the difference... people really are so busy with trivial blazé bull instead of just playing good music. Shut up and dance, as they said in the good old days.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

PsyTox wrote:

so when you play with cd's you will not ever watch the screen of the cdj-1000 for the waveform or the track number or whatever? Good luck with that. ;)
What a load of bollocks. Whether you are looking into a crate of vinyl or on your screen to select a track, what's the difference... people really are so busy with trivial blazé bull instead of just playing good music. Shut up and dance, as they said in the good old days.
'Shut up and play' should be the new slogan...
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

PsyTox wrote:

I don't think it's really about the principle; it's about the relative enjoyment of digging through a crate or browsing on a screen, no? To me, looking at the cruddy waveform display or track number on a CDJ1000 is totally not the same as having a precise illustration of where the beat is on a 15" laptop screen in front of me. And browsing through a CD bag is much more like flicking through a record crate than searching my MP3 collection.

I'm not a purist; I just don't enjoy playing off a laptop very much.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

When playing with a laptop you definitely end up looking at the screen more than you need to (unless you're incredibly disciplined), which means you're not interacting with the crowd/mirror as much.

I know that at the end of the day it's the music wot counts, but I also prefer to keep things simple with vinyl or CDJs. Not a big fan of livesets either. Without wanting to generalize too~ much the sets I enjoy the most tend to be ones that don't involve a laptop.