what is your favorite compressor?

- ask away
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

hydrogen wrote:so... how do you make sure your pushing the limits of your mix if you aren't running close to 0db?
The whole point is, digital has a much lower noise floor but also a much lower (unwanted) distortion level than analogue...

It will be the processing that suffers by running close to 0db on every channel.

The overall volume can be increased after the bounce.
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

hydrogen wrote:
steevio wrote:
hydrogen wrote:so... how do you make sure your pushing the limits of your mix if you aren't running close to 0db?
do you mean with an analogue desk or ITB ?

with analogue you can happily go above 0 db at any point in the chain. i'm quite often pushing into clipping on the individual channels which need fattening, but i usually keep the entire mix at 0db on the master, if i want to saturate the whole mix, i would do that in the EQ by overdriving the tubes. but theres nothing to stop you driving the lines, the busses and the master if you want to, but it can easily start to get mushy.

alot depends on your desk and the quality of the op amps.

i had a mackie which was great for extremely overdriving kicks and percussion, the soundcraft ghost i have now is more subtle, every desk is so different.
awesome... nice tips... but then what about the guys that do ITB?
as minimaltechnohouse said. in a 24Bit(and above) world you can stay way below 0dB without losing anything. if you want things "hotter" or less clean, go for saturation plugins. (find the one that's satisfying - some may sound thin or digital) it will help achieving a thick, dense and warmer sound.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

miro pajic wrote:
hydrogen wrote:
steevio wrote:
do you mean with an analogue desk or ITB ?

with analogue you can happily go above 0 db at any point in the chain. i'm quite often pushing into clipping on the individual channels which need fattening, but i usually keep the entire mix at 0db on the master, if i want to saturate the whole mix, i would do that in the EQ by overdriving the tubes. but theres nothing to stop you driving the lines, the busses and the master if you want to, but it can easily start to get mushy.

alot depends on your desk and the quality of the op amps.

i had a mackie which was great for extremely overdriving kicks and percussion, the soundcraft ghost i have now is more subtle, every desk is so different.
awesome... nice tips... but then what about the guys that do ITB?
as minimaltechnohouse said. in a 24Bit(and above) world you can stay way below 0dB without losing anything. if you want things "hotter" or less clean, go for saturation plugins. (find the one that's satisfying - some may sound thin or digital) it will help achieving a thick, dense and warmer sound.
And 24bit is only when recording, most (if not all?) DAW's run 24bit+ for all internal processing anyway
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

exactly!
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:
The whole point is, digital has a much lower noise floor but also a much lower (unwanted) distortion level than analogue...

It will be the processing that suffers by running close to 0db on every channel.

If you increase after bounce you are increasing the noise in the sound too.

You want to be as close to unity gain before bounce, then you can turn it down, so the noise to sound ratio is proper.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

livecollective wrote:

You want to be as close to unity gain before bounce, then you can turn it down, so the noise to sound ratio is proper.
Surely totally ITB mixes dont suffer with this....

As long as there is no dithering pre-bounce i don't see the problem?

Correct me if i'm wrong....
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

livecollective wrote:

he was talking about 100% ITB i believe. ITB you may stay way under 0dB (-6dB is more than enough!) for bouncing/working. as far as could read over the past months (and i did ALOT research concerning ITB mixing etc.) it is even highly suggested to do so (summing engines work in a better way, not feeding them too hot) and the "real pro's" (talking of real mixing engineers making top 10 hits) keep their single channels at around -10dB. it's a completely different thing than working with a console.

back to topic btw ;) : there's loads of great ITB compressors since a while. can't choose a favourite...all depends for what. :roll: for warm "glue" the fairchild 670 emu. for fast agressive punch the stillwell rocket. just 2 examples...
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

I barely use software compressors anymore as I prefer the tone and like every likable thing about an analog mix (except recalling it heh).

I cannot afford my buddy's ASTOUNDING Manley... the best sounding one I've ever tweaked.

However, I got two old dbx 166 like this one for a ridiculous price (80$ for the pair):

...and I must say I fucking love how they sound. No attack or release controls though (these values are automatically set by the circuit according to the dynamics and harmonic content of what's fed in it... and it works beautifully).

So yeah... they're my favorite for not costing me much and being sooo ... just so admirably effective (especially as a group/buss compressor) and pleasant sounding.