Producers losing hope in a crowded, insular scene

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

daveashe wrote:
Atheory wrote:30seconds, 3 seconds?

what next? by looking at the cover of the record?
Yip, if you dont spend the time or effort and just do it in MS paint, why click it?
What's wrong with MS paint?
daveashe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daveashe »

tone-def wrote:
daveashe wrote:

Yip, if you dont spend the time or effort and just do it in MS paint, why click it?
What's wrong with MS paint?
Well, compared to something like The Gimp or Adobe Photoshop, its severely lacking in features, its fine for a doodle but has no effects or layer management.

Its like comparing sound recorder (or a really basic wave editor) to ableton live.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

it would be nice if we could get back on topic.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

haha, yes my girlfriend can tell by the cover, when she goes into a record shop. she picks out a pile of all the coolest covers, and invariably theres a couple of good tunes in there,
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Atheory wrote:does no one ever find that theres some tracks the don't "get" until the third or fourth listen?

i understand that lots of records can be dismissed quickly (and almost always accurately for being completely derivative) but some records need more time to breath and settle a bit and just be on.
yeah I feel like this.

some music that my brain doesn't quite understand yet and it takes a few listen for it to make sense. One example for me was 'sung tongs' by animal collective, it took my brain quite a while to know how to see all the melody and harmony in the fairly dense layering.

I think (for me) I need to kind of be knowing what to look for. Like if you played a certain techno record on it's own and it wouldn't make much sense, but if played after I've been dancing to similar grooves, and I've settled into the right frame of mind, i can understand the track a bit better.

Maybe it's a personal thing.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

oblioblioblio wrote:
Atheory wrote:does no one ever find that theres some tracks the don't "get" until the third or fourth listen?

i understand that lots of records can be dismissed quickly (and almost always accurately for being completely derivative) but some records need more time to breath and settle a bit and just be on.
yeah I feel like this.

some music that my brain doesn't quite understand yet and it takes a few listen for it to make sense. One example for me was 'sung tongs' by animal collective, it took my brain quite a while to know how to see all the melody and harmony in the fairly dense layering.

I think (for me) I need to kind of be knowing what to look for. Like if you played a certain techno record on it's own and it wouldn't make much sense, but if played after I've been dancing to similar grooves, and I've settled into the right frame of mind, i can understand the track a bit better.

with you totally on this one. when i think of my favorite albums or favorite songs from favorite albums, they weren't stuff i was into so much first listen, but on the other hand, i completely understand the inpracticality of listening to everything like that, i mean, you gotta trust your instinct mostly.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

I remember not liking basic channel at all. then sitting at home i thought ok I'll give them another chance, and yes like everybody else i think there amazing. And like this it's been with a lot of music like certain jazz stuff as well. But then again when i'm looking for stuff as a dj i need things that fit in with my style and with my other tracks. So then i usually go for the 30sec thing.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Atheory wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:

yeah I feel like this.

with you totally on this one. when i think of my favorite albums or favorite songs from favorite albums, they weren't stuff i was into so much first listen, but on the other hand, i completely understand the inpracticality of listening to everything like that, i mean, you gotta trust your instinct mostly.
+1... also depends on the setting when you first hear a tune. i find also, i'll enjoy a tune at a party that a friend is playing then get home and check it out... and is like meh. :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest