staying in touch with the club scene as a producer

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I am curious why is it even required to some people to be envolved with anything in the scene? What if you love the music but hate going to bars and raves? I really don't see how someone who dances at a rave understands the beauty of good music more than someone who dances in their living room. Or someone who doesn't even dance at all but just loves the rhythm and sounds.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

victorgonzales wrote:I am curious why is it even required to some people to be envolved with anything in the scene? What if you love the music but hate going to bars and raves? I really don't see how someone who dances at a rave understands the beauty of good music more than someone who dances in their living room. Or someone who doesn't even dance at all but just loves the rhythm and sounds.
Finally somebody who gets it :)
Do you think artists like Juan Atkins or Kraftwerk thought to themselves "I wonder if all the other people in the robot worshiping scene will buy this?" of course not because there was no such thing. They had nobody to stroke their ego. They just made the kind of weird sh!t they wanted to hear, it just so happened that it was funky and people loved it. In order to break new ground you are going to need to break away or you're going to end up being one of these dudes that has a $100,000 studio that sounds like everybody else. The problem with being that dude is that there's always some guys like Drexciya that can come out of their momma's basement with music made with nothing but a Korg Monopoly a roland 808 and 4 track recorder that will melt peoples brains and make you look like a joke. If you bury yourself in the scene you will always be left falling in line behind them. I'm not saying to ignore it, i'm just saying that you're focus needs to be diverted from it.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I think it's very true that you can go down a negative path if you are surrounded by people who are only full of praise. Or if you are making music so that a group of people can celebrate you.

But I think at the same time it's important to be involved socially in some way with music. Being with likeminded people, supporting things which you think are poistive, seeing whether or not your sounds make people happy or sad. These things are important, I think.

Obviously it's not always easy. Like it has been said, lots of nights are pretty heavy going... cramped & dirty warehouses, unsavoury characters, cold taps delibrately turned off. But I think in the world of musical gatherings you can find beautiful things, even if you have to look pretty hard to find them. Things which can provide much inspiration for people interested in musical expression.

But, maybe that's just me. Maybe for someody else they can master the art of making music by isolating themsleves completely, but I know that I have learnt a lot about music from being away from my equipment and interacting on a social platform.
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

I speak with my DJ side, i think I'm into electronic music since a long time and I must say that I'm a little borred about partys, the packed club,the drunked people... are no more for me, i have lost the way to party simply, dance, drink...
And sometimes in the partys I see that 95% maybe more of the people in the club has no knowledge about music, that's a little bit frustrating if you think about, but that's in all kind of music I think, maybe not as much in a jazz concert :lol:
Some peoples are big fans of some DJs, they make kms for hear a DJ, for make a party, but for the majority, haven't at home turntables, or any kind of instrument/hardware... maybe they don't want to produce or djing, or buying EPs... they simply enjoy music, like partying, they are passionated also but in a different way.

If I actually go in a party, it must be a event with DJs that I like, and I go more with an analyze feeling than before, I hear and see what the DJ make, how the tracks works with the people...
That's a good learn, you see the people in majority listening the music without any sense of analyze, just the primary perception, just follow the beats.
We relearn a lot, like one stuff: You make dance music, it's tribal !
When you disconnect you from the club scene and produce at home, and no mor going in a club you can loose this immediate perception of sound and context and maybe go into too experimental stuff.

I have since a short time started production, but when I go home from a party I always have my brain in fusion, I have so much inspiration...
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

tintin2085 wrote: And sometimes in the partys I see that 95% maybe more of the people in the club has no knowledge about music, that's a little bit frustrating if you think about, but that's in all kind of music I think, maybe not as much in a jazz concert :lol:
i'm sure its the same at a jazz concert or any other event.

Got to take it for what its worth. At least all those people are looking to have a great time regardless of what their knowledge is of the music. Thats what is all about anyways.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:
victorgonzales wrote:I am curious why is it even required to some people to be envolved with anything in the scene? What if you love the music but hate going to bars and raves? I really don't see how someone who dances at a rave understands the beauty of good music more than someone who dances in their living room. Or someone who doesn't even dance at all but just loves the rhythm and sounds.
Finally somebody who gets it :)
Do you think artists like Juan Atkins or Kraftwerk thought to themselves "I wonder if all the other people in the robot worshiping scene will buy this?" of course not because there was no such thing. They had nobody to stroke their ego. They just made the kind of weird sht they wanted to hear, it just so happened that it was funky and people loved it. In order to break new ground you are going to need to break away or you're going to end up being one of these dudes that has a $100,000 studio that sounds like everybody else. The problem with being that dude is that there's always some guys like Drexciya that can come out of their momma's basement with music made with nothing but a Korg Monopoly a roland 808 and 4 track recorder that will melt peoples brains and make you look like a joke. If you bury yourself in the scene you will always be left falling in line behind them. I'm not saying to ignore it, i'm just saying that you're focus needs to be diverted from it.
i'd say its equally as bad to totally immerse yourself in a scene and lose perspective, as it is to isolate yourself and lose perspective.
why are we talking absolutes.
for the people who are sick of the scene and or clubs, you're going to the wrong parties !
but i can see that in certain places around the world you dont have any choice in the matter.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

i can't believe some of the stuff i'm reading, it crazy. the idea that someone shouldnt go out to clubs to hang out, get messy, meet people, dance etc cause they think its harmful for their productions is, to me, shocking.

can anyone give a few good reasons why? really not convinced by the arguements put forth so far.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Atheory wrote:i can't believe some of the stuff i'm reading, it crazy. the idea that someone shouldnt go out to clubs to hang out, get messy, meet people, dance etc cause they think its harmful for their productions is, to me, shocking.

can anyone give a few good reasons why? really not convinced by the arguements put forth so far.
mate i agree with you, maybe i havent made myself clear, i'm one of the get messy posse myself, but i can accept the argument that becoming too immersed in say one generic scene can narrow your focus too much, and lead to immitation rather than innovation, thats all. it happens all the time.
but i feel sorry for the people who cant go out and enjoy themselves any more. dancing is fundamental to my well-being, i couldnt give it up if i wanted to.