Broken beat minimal.

- ask away
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Not sure If I have anything on Defocus - it doesn't ring a bell - all the Funckarma stuff I have is on Dub, Highpoint Lowlife and N5MD.

My friend has a lot more on that tip - so I'll ask him to hit me up - cheers for the heads up :)

The new Funckarma Album is stunning BTW - more of the same really - they really do make some very challenging and enjoyable music.

Apparently Dubstoned II coming soon :) :) :)

If you like Funckarma - check also peeps like Marcia Blaine School for Girls, Production unit, The Villiage Orchestra, bunch of guys I've played with in Glasgow who make similar stuff and run one of the few remaining/good electronic night in Scotland - Numbers, they go for a mix of US Hip Hop/Electro/Breaks flavoured styles and mix it up with stripped down dub/acid/techno, couple of other rising stars coming from that scene including Rustie and Hudson Mowhawke who are a bit much for my own taste, but they sure are hot with the kids - think Mo is on Warp and Rustie has been doing stuff on Hyperdub recently :)

Incidentally I'd say Rustie and Hudson Mowhawke would probably satisfy the original query here but the sound is a lot rawer and more bleeped out and might be a bit alien to anyone who's only heard the M_nus or similar vareity of minimal, it's more like crossing Christian Vogel or Russ Gabriel with glitchy breaks - it's very Dysfunctional sounding.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

ah excellent, loads of stuff to check out there. cheers bro.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AVX23 wrote:Not sure If I have anything on Defocus - it doesn't ring a bell - all the Funckarma stuff I have is on Dub, Highpoint Lowlife and N5MD.

My friend has a lot more on that tip - so I'll ask him to hit me up - cheers for the heads up :)

The new Funckarma Album is stunning BTW - more of the same really - they really do make some very challenging and enjoyable music.

Apparently Dubstoned II coming soon :) :) :)

If you like Funckarma - check also peeps like Marcia Blaine School for Girls, Production unit, The Villiage Orchestra, bunch of guys I've played with in Glasgow who make similar stuff and run one of the few remaining/good electronic night in Scotland - Numbers, they go for a mix of US Hip Hop/Electro/Breaks flavoured styles and mix it up with stripped down dub/acid/techno, couple of other rising stars coming from that scene including Rustie and Hudson Mowhawke who are a bit much for my own taste, but they sure are hot with the kids - think Mo is on Warp and Rustie has been doing stuff on Hyperdub recently :)

Incidentally I'd say Rustie and Hudson Mowhawke would probably satisfy the original query here but the sound is a lot rawer and more bleeped out and might be a bit alien to anyone who's only heard the M_nus or similar vareity of minimal, it's more like crossing Christian Vogel or Russ Gabriel with glitchy breaks - it's very Dysfunctional sounding.
Paddy mate, youre the man with the knowledge !!!!

:D
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Man Im good at starting long threads. :D

Thanks for the replies. Ill be checking them out.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

a really cool (imo) track from a rhythmic point of view...

ramadanman - blimey

really excellent broken beat ness there.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Cheers Steevio mate :)

I totally forgot this BTW - this is another form of electronic weirdass hip hop from scandinavia - a new form of music some say - called skweee !! (altho really it's been going for a wee while now)

It's a serious buisness - well as serious as utter nonsense goes I guess, but it's interesting, it's not really stuff I'm into myself, but I gotta give it props cos it's f@cked up music :)

Anyway - for an introduction to the wonderful world of Skwee, you can do no better then check this.....

http://conehead.fun-in-the-murky.com/

It has a fair bit of info on the labels and the origins of the sound.

To me it's basically circuit bent breaks - it's pretty experimental sounding and in places there's little traces of minimal techno and microstuffs.

**edit - it's 3 E's !!
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

damn that skweee sh!t is weird. Why did they come up with such a hard word to say for the name of it? Pretty god damn silly name.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Mate - you'd have to ask them that :) they are a very weird bunch of scandinavian arty/geek types who like building/modding machines and making silly noises.

I think - tho I could be wrong, that the Skweee thing comes from the fact that Scandinavian countries have a lot of strange looking words to begin with , and that originally , a lot of the sounds literally went 'skweee'.

It really isn't meant to be taken too seriously although the more recent developments are becoming fairly impressive and I'd say whatever it is - it's at times wonderfully inventive.

Ther'es a fairly big circuit bending/8bit scene these days and it gets a lot of support from that I think, I try not to be too critical of it because for me - I played so much Zelda/Mario/Etc as a kid that if I hear any more 8bit sound - I'll puke - there's a reason 16 bit + chips were developed after all ! but knowing how much retro and nostalgia appeal , then i can see why people like it.