Beatport tax?

- open
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

patrick bateman wrote:Psytox; if the artist releasing isn't registered to a collecting society, you don't have to pay (and Beatport hopefully make their system right so this won't be the case).
If you have artists where your label have paid to a collection society and they still haven't received anything after 2 years, I would suggest that the artists involved contact their collecting society with prove of the labels payment and demand to get their money, because otherwise anything else would (-)
the way i heared it from BP, they will deduct mechanical rights NO MATTER IF you are registered. And after checking this, they will give the deducted money back. Still, that means that part of your money is gone for a certain time and knowing Sabam in Belgium, this could easily take a year before they bother to let beatport know that artist a or b isn't registered. Hell, as I said: we even had to pay for repro rights while the artist wasn't registered... without the paper of the payment, the pressing plant didn't want to press records. So there you go... that's fucking blackmail if you ask me.

Btw going to another store isn't the solution, because the others will have to do this too. Or already have taxes included. And no store has the same content as BP, no matter how you look at it. to give you a simple idea of how important BP is: we used to work with a distributor who made our music available on +100 sites. When we started the second label, we went directly to a number of sites so we could see how much we sold where... If we sold 100 mp3's, 98 came from BP, 1 from junodownload and 1 from where ever :)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

PsyTox wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:Psytox; if the artist releasing isn't registered to a collecting society, you don't have to pay (and Beatport hopefully make their system right so this won't be the case).
If you have artists where your label have paid to a collection society and they still haven't received anything after 2 years, I would suggest that the artists involved contact their collecting society with prove of the labels payment and demand to get their money, because otherwise anything else would (-)
the way i heared it from BP, they will deduct mechanical rights NO MATTER IF you are registered. And after checking this, they will give the deducted money back. Still, that means that part of your money is gone for a certain time and knowing Sabam in Belgium, this could easily take a year before they bother to let beatport know that artist a or b isn't registered. Hell, as I said: we even had to pay for repro rights while the artist wasn't registered... without the paper of the payment, the pressing plant didn't want to press records. So there you go... that's fucking blackmail if you ask me.

Btw going to another store isn't the solution, because the others will have to do this too. Or already have taxes included. And no store has the same content as BP, no matter how you look at it. to give you a simple idea of how important BP is: we used to work with a distributor who made our music available on +100 sites. When we started the second label, we went directly to a number of sites so we could see how much we sold where... If we sold 100 mp3's, 98 came from BP, 1 from junodownload and 1 from where ever :)
I know all that, I have a label too :)
But if your artist isn't registrered with a collecting society then you shouldn't pay (only a small fee) and still be able to press the records. We do that in Germany and it works like a charm.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

I know you know :D

And yes, in theory it should also be like you have in germany, but in belgium... Sabam pretty much does what it pleases. They are being investigated for fraud, and even simply refuse to give their members (and even the government) insight in how they calculate the rights for the artists... I mean, hello...

There must be a country where there are no collection agencies right? We'll move there ;)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

PsyTox wrote:I know you know :D

And yes, in theory it should also be like you have in germany, but in belgium... Sabam pretty much does what it pleases. They are being investigated for fraud, and even simply refuse to give their members (and even the government) insight in how they calculate the rights for the artists... I mean, hello...

There must be a country where there are no collection agencies right? We'll move there ;)
Press your stuff in Germany instead, or France.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

You're kidding man ! In france there is a thing called the SACEM , they're are
the fascits of right collection.

Further more , paying mechanical rights for pressing is mandatory in France , even if you"re not in the SACEM.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

camus wrote:
You're kidding man ! In france there is a thing called the SACEM , they're are
the fascits of right collection.

Further more , paying mechanical rights for pressing is mandatory in France , even if you"re not in the SACEM.
we had our first 6 releases pressed at MPO in France, going through Handle With Care in Berlin, and therefore using GEMA in Germany, and of course we only had to pay for those artists that were registered. I can't believe you guys let these companies do this to you.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

we get our stuff pressed outside of belgium, but doesn't matter, they still ask for paperwork of the collection agency, and since we are based in Belgium, we have to register with Sabam...

I have to start renting a mailbox address in germany I think ;)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

PsyTox wrote:we get our stuff pressed outside of belgium, but doesn't matter, they still ask for paperwork of the collection agency, and since we are based in Belgium, we have to register with Sabam...

I have to start renting a mailbox address in germany I think ;)

We are from Denmark, pressed the first 6 releases in France, and used Gema in Germany :lol: (now we press in Germany also).