mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

Silly D.J. - tricks are for kids.
jaco
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jaco »

i think you could do the same things with live, a good soundcard and any good midi controllers...
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

You can, and it doesn't need to be "good" gear either.
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by b-ran »

but he doesn't beatmatch anymore? pfftt
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

I thought that it was an interesting watch, and starts to show what is possible when you start pushing digital-DJing beyond auto-beat matching songs for you.

Allot of people who go around hating on digital-DJs, do so because "it takes the skill out of DJing, it's doing the beat matching for you". And true, if your letting the setup do that for you, and you are not doing anything else with the new free time - that is pretty lame.

But, if you start using that extra time for finding new ways to control, loop, play, layer and tweak the music - then that's starting to push things into new/interesting directions and opening up more possibilities than with straight up vinyl. Not saying one is better than the other, just different.

While the end-result may not always be the best right now - that is to be expected when people start playing with new technologies. I'd rather have artists (in general, not just Hawtin) try a few new things, tweak their setups - and have a few failures/flops along the way, but working towards something better - instead of just relying on the same bag of tricks and re-hashing what's been done for the past few decades.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

The best part is when he touches the vinyl and says "People think this is interesting?" as he moves it back and forth.

He's so right. I don't understand the infatuation with vinyl anymore. For such a forward-thinking genre of music, people sure do love holding on to ancient technology.
Eylius
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Eylius »

Saw hawtin this past weekend in Chicago. Magda in my opinion out-shined him completely, and had the whole crowd dancing (always a plus). I noticed that when Richie went on it seemed like the kick drums in the tracks that he was playing clipped the system and there were a few really akward transitions. We didn't stay for too much longer though, so for all I know his set may or may not have gotten better.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

JackNine wrote:The best part is when he touches the vinyl and says "People think this is interesting?" as he moves it back and forth.

He's so right. I don't understand the infatuation with vinyl anymore. For such a forward-thinking genre of music, people sure do love holding on to ancient technology.

hahaha, exactly.. I was laughing in that part too :)