influence and history of techno music

- open
nubianmindz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nubianmindz »

chrisdisco wrote:
mlexicon wrote:i think you have it wrong...

to say it started in detroit is kind of...short sighted

but yeah go for it ask only dudes from detroit and ask them where it all started...im sure you'd get a non biased answer. :roll:
nubianmindz wrote:it started in Detroit.

Juan Atkins
Kevin Saunderson
Derrick May
Eddie Fawlkes

Read interviews with these guys,check out both the 'High Tech Soul' & 'Universal Techno' documentaries,read 'Techno Rebels' and take it from there.

Everyone who's someone in techno will be accessed from that startpoint.

Even right up to todays innovators.
exactly. no one can deny the huge contribution that detroit has made to techno, but to say that it all started in detroit is way too simplistic. there was so much more going on than that...
you've both missed the point.

Yes Juan invented techno but in every interview he always,always,always mention those chicago house cats that were making house music before he made techno aswell as George Clinton/Bootsy Collins & Funkadelic who had a huge influence on the start of techno (admittedly their essence of funk & soul has gone from the music in a lot of quarters) and they will also mention Kraftwerk/Giorgio Moroder and Disco.

That's what I was getting at to the original poster,but you guys were the one who lacked the vision to see this.

In effect,YOU were the short sighted ones :)

Everybody needs a start point to pinpoint something and then find their own way from there.

Detroit is the most significant point for anyone to learn about 'Techno' music and it's history and I'm not really sure why ppl are trying to act like Detroit had nothing to do with the creation of Techno?

:shock: :roll:
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

apanell wrote:
chrisdisco wrote:
TMCM wrote:it began in africa.
meanwhile. back in africa...
nobody is asking about baby judy
I mean nobody!
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

nubianmindz wrote:
chrisdisco wrote:
mlexicon wrote:i think you have it wrong...

to say it started in detroit is kind of...short sighted

but yeah go for it ask only dudes from detroit and ask them where it all started...im sure you'd get a non biased answer. :roll:
nubianmindz wrote:it started in Detroit.

Juan Atkins
Kevin Saunderson
Derrick May
Eddie Fawlkes

Read interviews with these guys,check out both the 'High Tech Soul' & 'Universal Techno' documentaries,read 'Techno Rebels' and take it from there.

Everyone who's someone in techno will be accessed from that startpoint.

Even right up to todays innovators.
exactly. no one can deny the huge contribution that detroit has made to techno, but to say that it all started in detroit is way too simplistic. there was so much more going on than that...
you've both missed the point.

Yes Juan invented techno but in every interview he always,always,always mention those chicago house cats that were making house music before he made techno aswell as George Clinton/Bootsy Collins & Funkadelic who had a huge influence on the start of techno (admittedly their essence of funk & soul has gone from the music in a lot of quarters) and they will also mention Kraftwerk/Giorgio Moroder and Disco.

That's what I was getting at to the original poster,but you guys were the one who lacked the vision to see this.

In effect,YOU were the short sighted ones :)

Everybody needs a start point to pinpoint something and then find their own way from there.

Detroit is the most significant point for anyone to learn about 'Techno' music and it's history and I'm not really sure why ppl are trying to act like Detroit had nothing to do with the creation of Techno?

:shock: :roll:
"Yes Juan invented techno"

ah. good. thanks for clearing that up. i am glad that we now know who invented techno. ah, it was juan after all. the virgin mary of techno. awesome.

the points i was trying to make were:
- the development of techno is a very complex and multifaceted affair. it is extremely simplistic to say juan made techno, or detroit made techno, or (if you want to make a bit more nuanced) detroit is where all the various influences were put together to form something called techno.

- detroit was important in the development of techno no doubt. i dont think anyone is denying that. but there is a big difference between saying detroit was important in the development of techno and saying detroit created techno. the former is a very fair comment, the latter is just stupid.

and to make two further points:
- yes, you can start why detroit. and yes, it is a good place to start. but you do not need to start in detroit. there are plenty of places you can begin if you want to learn techno's history. detroit is an important stop but it doesnt have to be the first or only one.

- my gut says that the reason why people keep pushing this detroit myth so hard is the fact that detroit no longer has the same level of creativity or innovation that it once did.
nubianmindz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nubianmindz »

wtf???

Sometimes I wonder why a tiny majority of ppl r so opposed to Detroit being recognised as the birthplace of techno???

I mean it's like saying drum and bass didn't start in the UK?

Once again,wtf?
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

This will give some insight into the early Chicago house scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXO3QvV5o70

8)
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

"say hi Frederick"

classic :D
signatures suck
nubianmindz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by nubianmindz »

Michael^Heaven wrote:This will give some insight into the early Chicago house scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXO3QvV5o70

8)
there's a few Chicago House documentaries flying about at the mo,which I need to get hold of.

Anyone seen Maestro???

8)
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

mlexicon wrote:"say hi Frederick"

classic :D
That was a bit of a suprise, actually. ("Not that there's anything wrong with that!") 8)