jay haze

brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

I finally got around to reading the article. I don't think the comments made were all that bad, really. For those of you who couldn't read it:

* Richie Hawtin is a millionaire. He should use his status to do more positive things.
* Michael Mayer asked sub-labels not to put out some of Jay's tracks. When Jay asked him why, because he was making a living from his tracks, Mayer basically said "I'm protecting you from yourself. Get a job".
* Tiefschwarz aren't good DJs-- they hire producers and basically "bought" their success.
* Jay dropped out of school and was homeless for a while. A lot of what he said and his opinions on things seemed to be influenced by that.

Maybe I'll translate the whole thing sometime...
LetsGoOutside
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by LetsGoOutside »

i never give a crap about anyone's personal life when i am enjoying their work. while i really don't talk sh!t about anyone, i wouldn't want to have to change my lifestyle, thoughts, etc to fit the conceived image of those who might like my music. i don't expect anyone else to, either.

some of my favorite actors and actresses are, per the press, total bastards on a personal level. regardless, i enjoy their work -- i don't have to hang out with them. same goes for music. i could really, really care less if the music i love is made by someone who skeet shoots third world kids. heck, some of the deepest music out there is the outcry of guilt from severe actions.

plus beer. :)
Surgi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Surgi »

Like his records a lot!
http://www.myspace.com/dj_surgi

23/02/07 @ 2 Years Punk'ID, Decadance, Gent, Belgium from 22h till 0h
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

brianc wrote:I finally got around to reading the article. I don't think the comments made were all that bad, really. For those of you who couldn't read it:

* Richie Hawtin is a millionaire. He should use his status to do more positive things.
* Michael Mayer asked sub-labels not to put out some of Jay's tracks. When Jay asked him why, because he was making a living from his tracks, Mayer basically said "I'm protecting you from yourself. Get a job".
* Tiefschwarz aren't good DJs-- they hire producers and basically "bought" their success.
* Jay dropped out of school and was homeless for a while. A lot of what he said and his opinions on things seemed to be influenced by that.

I just got around to reading this article and I throw much more respect Jay's way now that i read that. Electronic music music needs more people like him. People who arent afraid to voice their opinion on the industry.

The guy was a walking trainwreck. Poverty stricken and homeless for half of his life...i bet he's been through more sh!t than most label owners and producers in this industry.

Not only that, hes giving smaller, upcoming producers the chance to be heard, and develop their sound. Something this industry needs more of. How many big labels are doing the same? Very few. Most of them wont release your music unless youve got some sort of name in the game...sad. Thats why he is ahead of his competition. Every new release he does is fresher than the next label.

I totally agree with the hawtin statement. What more does Hawtin really want or need? He's toured the world many times over, he's produced countless records and mixes, he runs legendary techno labels...what else is there? I think he should use his status and time to develop new artists and creative music...and less time developing stupid mixing mediums and software programs.

Pretty bogus statement by Mayer also. Who is he to tell Jay what he can and cant do with his music? Kompakt and Mayer just lost 50 cool points from me.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

minimal house wrote:
brianc wrote:I finally got around to reading the article. I don't think the comments made were all that bad, really. For those of you who couldn't read it:

I just got around to reading this article and I throw much more respect Jay's way now that i read that. Electronic music music needs more people like him. People who arent afraid to voice their opinion on the industry.

The guy was a walking trainwreck. Poverty stricken and homeless for half of his life...i bet he's been through more sh!t than most label owners and producers in this industry.

Not only that, hes giving smaller, upcoming producers the chance to be heard, and develop their sound. Something this industry needs more of. How many big labels are doing the same? Very few. Most of them wont release your music unless youve got some sort of name in the game...sad. Thats why he is ahead of his competition. Every new release he does is fresher than the next label.

I totally agree with the hawtin statement. What more does Hawtin really want or need? He's toured the world many times over, he's produced countless records and mixes, he runs legendary techno labels...what else is there? I think he should use his status and time to develop new artists and creative music...and less time developing stupid mixing mediums and software programs.

Pretty bogus statement by Mayer also. Who is he to tell Jay what he can and cant do with his music? Kompakt and Mayer just lost 50 cool points from me.
Damn, you're joking right? :roll:
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

I like to hear where the music came from, and how it developed, origins and such. Every piece of music has a story. Maybe i got carried away but i can relate to jay pretty well and can understand his perspective. Always looking forward to future productions.
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

minimal house wrote:

hm...develop new technology or new artists...it doesnt seem like it takes
millions to develop new artists..but new technology is expensive.

my vote is for hawtin to continue pushing the boundaries of technology.
assuming he continues to do so, he will have my full support.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

The technology will go obsolete before an artist does.

Anyhow, im majorly hijacking this thread...im done. Back to jay. :lol: