Unauthorized sampling of Seph / Lee Curtiss track?

- open
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

I have no problem with sampling. When you sample a considerable chunk from a track and call it your own, it's no longer sampling, it's just stealing. Think of an analogy in rock or hip hop, you can use a line or two from the lyrics and make it your own. But if you straight up jack the melody and everything instrumental as well, then you're not making it your own. Honestly, I don't even care if people sample techno to make techno as long as they make it their own. More often than not in sampling disputes, its because nobody uses the sample to make it their own.

btw, I really love how posting one little line can make everybody snap. It's fun to watch all hell break loose. I'd have to be fucking insane to think I have it all figured out. I'd like to think I have an educated opinion but having it all figured out is just hilarious. Keep on keepin' on though, it's great to read in the morning!
harold_f
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harold_f »

I think Thomas D and Jack Thomas, made a valid point. In this genre people seem to walk on eggs about things. If the "bullshit" flag is called for, then by all means raise it.
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

All I want to know is if Lee banged Leroy's girl yet? :lol:
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

plaster wrote:isn't there a law about sampling. as far as i'm introduced by it, any sample that's one bar long is okay, but far from that is considered to be stealing..
no such law. sampling is illegal.
harold_f
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harold_f »

Coog wrote:All I want to know is if Lee banged Leroy's girl yet? :lol:
penalty for the following violation should include the above mentioned. :lol:
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Coog wrote:All I want to know is if Lee banged Leroy's girl yet? :lol:
Now that would be sampling!
mando
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mando »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:I have no problem with sampling. When you sample a considerable chunk from a track and call it your own, it's no longer sampling, it's just stealing.
thats right, if u dont have a permission (licence) to use samples from original tracks.

but, here, nobody knows the real background and only making rumours.
you only can speculate, thats it. for me its only making "panic".

i hope, nobody of you is in a similar situation any day, other people talking about you, because of a faker und you dont know this.

and i think, this is strictly a slander.

the fair way is, if i have a problem with an artist, to ask directly (to the label or artist and the original artist and label) and not other people in a forum to start making rumours. because we all know, people making horrible storys and sharing this in other places on internet. and some additional words growing into a big fairy tale. (see all the rumours about ricardo, magda, sven etc....)

and the fact is, nobody knows, if he really steal samples from a original track.

btw, I really love how posting one little line can make everybody snap. It's fun to watch all hell break loose.
because your words gives me a impression to adjudge (is this the right word?) all people or finding some secrets for the success of making (mnml) music.

perhaps i see this in a wrong way ;)

but i am a person, i dont like making panic or adjudge any people, i dont know and i dont know any background.

live and let die :)
(if its legal and not stolen)
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

mando wrote:but, here, nobody knows the real background and only making rumours. you only can speculate, thats it. for me its only making "panic".
I'm not trying to be rude but I don't understand how you could be so perplexed. It's a simple situation, man.

1.) Lee's track came out a full four months before Leroy's track.
2.) Leroy's track sounds exactly like Lee's.

What's so hard to understand?
mando wrote: and the fact is, nobody knows, if he really steal samples from a original track.
Actually, you're wrong. He did use the main hook rhythm and sample. Okay, so he shuffled it just a little bit, but didn't even pitch or delay it or anything.

I now own both tracks and played them through my Genelecs (which don't lie). The sound is exact.