ableton!! Whats wrong with it.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Brian Ffar wrote:I haven't read all three pages yet, but did you consider your AD/DA converters and audio interface might have something to do with it before blaming the software?
yeah, it was the first thing i thought of, but ive got a really good quality interface, and i also run other apps that sound better.
i dont understand why it should sound different, but to me it does.
relative q
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by relative q »

steevio, what's your rig?

I've never noticed a problem with what you're talking about, and I've been doing a lot of recording directly into Ableton lately. I'm running a MOTU 828mkII at 24/96.
i require more bass.

blingin rims at reasonable prices: netlabel reviews and other dumb sh!t
relative q web presence
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

relative q wrote:steevio, what's your rig?

I've never noticed a problem with what you're talking about, and I've been doing a lot of recording directly into Ableton lately. I'm running a MOTU 828mkII at 24/96.
emu 1820M 24/192 / P4 3.0

maybe theres something wrong with my ears
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

just a little remark, as said in the first posts of this thread:

the "render to disk" option (in the file menu) gives in my case bad results.
routing the master to an audio track and recording the audio track in real time is a better option.

on the http://www.ableton.com/forum there are lots of threads about this issue.

maybe interesting if you want to goo deeper into this
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

Brian Ffar wrote:I haven't read all three pages yet, but did you consider your AD/DA converters and audio interface might have something to do with it before blaming the software?

as far as it goes in my case, I still blame the software.
I have an RME Multiface II, so good converters (I know, not the best on earth but still, good ones).
When I record hardware synths into live passing thru a mackie 24.8 board (so not the el cheapo behringer) and then in the RME well... I notice a difference between how the synth was sounding and how the clip in ableton is sounding. Tried 1000 times,with and w/o warping, still the sound it's not 100% there, it just lacks something, hard to put in words but it's just lacks.
This happens with all the synths I have in the studio now, couple analog and a couple digital.
I even tried with new audio cables (had to buy new ones soon or later) and still a difference is there, and I did not start yesterday making electronic music. In cubase it's better.

As far as render to disk goes, render to disk has been sucking the life out of audio since version 2.1 (the first I have used so I can't comment for previous version but I guess it always has been like this).

I would not play on stage with other softwares, but for the studio I'm looking for alternatives now.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

4am wrote:just a little remark, as said in the first posts of this thread:

the "render to disk" option (in the file menu) gives in my case bad results.
routing the master to an audio track and recording the audio track in real time is a better option.

on the http://www.ableton.com/forum there are lots of threads about this issue.

maybe interesting if you want to goo deeper into this
can you please tell me what is the reason for this, i mean why is rendering to disc worse than recording to audio? (i mean a technical specs)

i understand that the people here say it so and i have tried it, but im very curious about the reason for this.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

ok, so i made a test!

i made a simple 4/4 2 bar loop and made a rendered version, a resampled version and a flattened version!

then i inverted the phase on the rendered one compared it to the others, they all canceled each other out, thou when i made an analisys of the files there was a differenge in the avarege rms powers and in the avarege pitch.

so it is very very strange to me, anyone have any more info regarding this?
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

my cause was that I messed about a lot with delays on sends and stuff and for some reason it sounded way different rendered than recorded or resampled. :roll:
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...