Going to start building a hardware studio.

- ask away
Zoiberg
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zoiberg »

steevio wrote:
Zoiberg wrote:I'm still not sure that Behringer EQ is better than Live EQ8.

IMO the most important hardware in a studio is a great pair of monitors.
of course good monitors are very important in a studio, but your studio is only as good as its weakest link ! remember that. also good monitors are equally as important in a software or hardware studio, so that isnt really relevant to this post.
:roll:
it's relevant just for this same cause, the fact that they are important in both software and hardware based studios.
Hey, they are hardware, aren't they? :-)

I think that the monitors (and the room they are in) are the most important thing in a studio because it's thru them that you can discover the weak links.

IMO the weak link theory is valid only in the monitoring chain: when that one is working properly, then everything else is a matter of taste, choice, expression. One EQ may be better for me than it is for you, the important thing is that we both must be able to hear the difference.

I agree with you about the immediacy and better feeling of some hardware when compared to generic midi controllers; I would also like to point out that, sometimes, hardware can be limited compared to software: that may be good for creativity and keep you more focused.
That's why I'm thinking of buying a Mono Evolver Keyboard ;-)
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

steevio. i hear ya about designing the synth sound, but sometimes things just sit better in the mix with a notch here or there. Soloed its a different story, but if the sound is played with everything else it should play nice. Otherwise, why need an eq at all with electronic music?
freeeeeee
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Zoiberg wrote:
steevio wrote:
Zoiberg wrote:I'm still not sure that Behringer EQ is better than Live EQ8.

IMO the most important hardware in a studio is a great pair of monitors.
of course good monitors are very important in a studio, but your studio is only as good as its weakest link ! remember that. also good monitors are equally as important in a software or hardware studio, so that isnt really relevant to this post.
:roll:
it's relevant just for this same cause, the fact that they are important in both software and hardware based studios.
Hey, they are hardware, aren't they? :-)

I think that the monitors (and the room they are in) are the most important thing in a studio because it's thru them that you can discover the weak links.

IMO the weak link theory is valid only in the monitoring chain: when that one is working properly, then everything else is a matter of taste, choice, expression. One EQ may be better for me than it is for you, the important thing is that we both must be able to hear the difference.

I agree with you about the immediacy and better feeling of some hardware when compared to generic midi controllers; I would also like to point out that, sometimes, hardware can be limited compared to software: that may be good for creativity and keep you more focused.
That's why I'm thinking of buying a Mono Evolver Keyboard ;-)
man i totally agree with you about monitors, for me they are the most important piece of kit in my studio, but i also know a few well respected producers who are doing very well on the scene at the moment who are monitoring on crappy headphones, because they have thin walls and intolerant neighbours, ok i couldnt do it, but some people manage because they have no choice. as long as they can reference on other speakers they somehow get by.
i only said it wasnt relevant, because of the original topic of this post, the guy wants to build a hardware studio and doesnt quite understand the whole picture, he's going to need monitors whatever kind of studio he's got. but youre right, they are hardware, and they are important.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Der geile Ami wrote:steevio. i hear ya about designing the synth sound, but sometimes things just sit better in the mix with a notch here or there. Soloed its a different story, but if the sound is played with everything else it should play nice. Otherwise, why need an eq at all with electronic music?
you're totally right bro, and i do use the EQ on my desk, but i keep it to a minimum. i suppose its all down to how you create your sounds. if say i'm using a bass sound that has a fundamental note and a say a couple of higher harmonics, i will set the levels of those harmonics on my synth so that they dont interfere with anything else in the mix, in effect i'm notching it at source.
i get my sounds together roughly, get a mix happening, and then adjust all the sounds on the synths so that they all sit together right. i treat the EQ's on the desk as the final polish if its necessary at all, but most of my EQing is done in the sound creation process. it's just my way of doing things, and like i said before theres no right or wrong way, but if you have an entry level desk, it doesnt mean you cant make good sounding music, as long as you've got a synth that can make good sounds, thats all i was trying to say mate.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

steevio wrote:[ a synth that can make good sounds, thats all i was trying to say mate.
8)
freeeeeee