modular etc etc

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by tone-def »

steevio wrote:hey mnml whats with the AZZ thing, i wanted to say azz (with s not z), thats a proper english word....
yeah but this is a Dutch website.
headband
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by headband »

Now that I've got my ES-3 + Silent Way all set-up I've been writing new stuff like crazy, the workflow of having Live or Logic Pro being able to sequence my modular and then have all the FX I have in my DAW added into the mix...

Also big ups to Phase Ghost and all the other people who have spoken of Numerology on this forum; that software plus the modular is just wow (-)
Put in a sequence and then have Numerology then have it auto-generate changes XYZ while you tweak your patch on the modular....

Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

gnarly!
metaBit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by metaBit »

Contemplating taking this patch apart this weekend. So hard when it sounds so good but I guess I've got to get used to these things being ephemeral. ;)

Feature's all four of the TipTopAudio 808 modules. Yum.

Listen to a sample at: http://bit.ly/Jg4lmt

Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Nice mellow vibes dude, diggin it! The beauty of it all is that once you pull out the patch cords, it's gone. It forces you to record and move on to the next bit. Most of my tunes have 3 different patches in them where I pulled them all out and start fresh. I usually just leave the oscillators tuned to whatever they were in and adjust the octaves or root note in numerology.

I've even incorporated this into my synths with presets. With my prophet08, I've been working with the same patch for like 8 months. I adjust it for whatever track I'm using it in and save as I go. Or sometimes just blank it and start fresh.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

i'm interested in modular synths but have no experience other than playing with one once.

i am initially curious about arturia's moog modular software. can you guys lists some pros and cons of this software compared to modern modular hardware envrionments? or perhaps potential pitfalls, things to watch out for or to note. i understand my questions are vague. sorry for that.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I hate to string together a load of vague cliches, but I would recommend hardware modular unreservedly if you can afford it and you are looking into what it might offer you over a software equivalent.

The immediacy of a hardware solution is unparalled. Almost every musically useful function is changeable either by hand or by voltage control. The designers have built unlimited uses into the module. They haven't expected you to do anything with it and the environment is limited only by your drive to learn and enquire and create.

Many modules are half digital and even fully digital, but the ability to control by hand or by other modules gives a hardware system a HUGE edge. I feel free and I also feel like I have limits so I have a certain amount to work with and try to push those modules to their limits.

The current wave of module manufacturers are really at the top of their game.

Some people seem happy in software but I uncovered a real treasure trove with my modular system and no longer use any software. I previously used U-He Zebra, Reaktor and MaxMSP which all ave varying degrees of modularity, but nothing tickled me like my module system does.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

oblioblioblio wrote:I hate to string together a load of vague cliches, but I would recommend hardware modular unreservedly if you can afford it and you are looking into what it might offer you over a software equivalent.
thanks for the response. i'm not sure that i am looking for what hardware might offer me over software. i should have stated that my interest is playful at most. i see an interesting toy. that interest might bloom into something bigger but hasn't yet. that being said and paired with the fact that the software costs about the same as a single module all cause me to lean toward the arturia implementation as a starting point.