interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's a pretty complex sound to get right imo.

If it was me I would forget about it for the time being and just fanny around with some simple stuff and see what sounds come out. Not any proper end goals in mind except just to try out things and see what happens.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

oblioblioblio wrote:it's a pretty complex sound to get right imo.

If it was me I would forget about it for the time being and just fanny around with some simple stuff and see what sounds come out. Not any proper end goals in mind except just to try out things and see what happens.
except that's totally not how my brain works. i kind of obsess over certain things and like to figure out how to master them.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I think these sound are easy to make. The processing though is something else. Could be a whole range of stuff.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

the lower stab thing kind of steps. can anyone else hear that?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

I'm really puzzled as to why u would want to recreate this exact dub. Maybe for fun, but I can almost picture the guys that made this track smoking a couple bongs and getting to work. Plugging in different gear in the effect chain and jamming. Then just recording the session.

I feel this is how a lot of this music is made. The results are these guys getting in the studio and turning knobs and hitting record.

I understand knowing the techniques and stuff is helpful but to break down stuff to that detail just brings me to a place like studying art history, when I'd much rather be painting. :)

Anyways... Carry on, I'm enjoying the breakdowns you guys have made. 24db filter here, echo there... Etc...It is definetly informative about the tools u can use to build the sounds. I'm just suggesting once you know all these things, fck around with it. Record the audio... You will make some great or at least interesting stuff without thinking about it.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I understand knowing the techniques and stuff is helpful but to break down stuff to that detail just brings me to a place like studying art history, when I'd much rather be painting

I set out to try and recreate the exact same pads in the track mentioned in the original post, but half way through I got bored and started making my own music.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

cloutier wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:are you playing the right chords?

what program are you using to make music on?
is there a "right" chord?

and i do most everything in ableton, because its quick for me, then i rewire to logic.
There isn't a 'right' chord but it would be nice to hear dub techno with a chord that isn't a minor triad or a minor 7th. From what I have heard, nobody is doing this music with 'unusual chords' and harmonies. I kinda went off that music because I was sick of hearing a minor triad chord echo throughout the whole track. I know it's not necessarily about that but it just turned me off.

I'm really into the music I hear in old sci-fi flicks, like I have a massive collection of old Twilight Zone movies - ( in black & white ) and the music ( to my ears, is fantastic ) Lots of suspense/tension/release/anticipation......

I'd love to hear a dub type record which ventures on the unconventional use of chords and phrasing. I'm not into writing dub stuff but if I were I'd try out stuff like the whole tone scale for one because I'm into sci-fi and suspense. So in 'C', you have C-D-E-F#-G#-A#. Run an arpeggiator through those intervals and you have instant Sci-fi. It's one of my favourite scales, each tone is a major 2nd/whole tone and the scale gives rise to 3 tritones, ( on 'C' ) you get c/f#, then d/g# and e/a#. For Techno, you steer clear of simple root and major 3rds but there's no perfect fifth within a whole tone scale and the augmented fifth always serves to drop an odd sound on top of a root & major 3rd. Try it, C/E/G#. It's got no personality, it's just there as a chord but when you use it with other 'no personality chords', it creates a fscinating world of harmony. If that were explored in dub type music, I'd be all over it like a rash.

It might be just me, I'm also into hearing clashing notes - but done in a good way. Don't know how to describe this but it can sound really tense and agressive if done right and that is to use the 3rd degree of the major scale, which is the Phrygian mode and make use of the flat 5th as well as the perfect 5th. So, if it were the C major scale, I'd be on 'E' and using all the white notes but also bringing in A#. That would be tension against the perfect 5th - the 'B' in the scale but also, because it's Phrygian, I also have the minor 2nd in the 'F', so there's already tension between that and the 'E' root. It sounds like a passing note if you build chords around it kinda bluesy but wrong in a good way if you know how to work it.

I was gonna say some more about stuff but I'm really stoned now and I don't even remember what the original question was.

I don't even know what I'm talking about, I have typed for what seems like yrs so I'm posting it. ( Did consider scrapping it lol co's I'm just off my trolley )
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

AK wrote:I also have the minor 2nd in the 'F', so there's already tension between that and the 'E' root. It sounds like a passing note if you build chords around it kinda bluesy but wrong in a good way if you know how to work it.
That stuff always blows my mind when i'm taking my piano lessons. somehow the awful notes just work in sequence and sound magical. This is why sticking to one scale only gets you so far in music.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest