steevio on his modular

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: steevio on his modular

Post by oblioblioblio »

all the stuff I've recorded I just see the flaws in it... my ideas are constantly growing, but it's always my music and sounds like my music always does. I would rather play lots of live sets that are imperfect and different. I feel too much presssure to release something perfect.... and I find it really hard to edit my recorded stuff at home ... too keep the good parts but keep it honest to the moment.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i dont edit anything now, its not easy to make convincing edits compared to when i used to sequence with a computer, so now everything i record is totally live. i just have to spend long hours listening back to everything ive recorded and take out the best bits for release.

ive recorded at least 3 hours of live jamming every day for over a year now, the problem is finding the time to listen to it all. i checked out some stuff i did throughout december recently, because i remembered it going well at that time, and managed to get 5 full tracks out of it.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Congrats!! Amazing music on this video :D Is there any recorded set of you playing your modular?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

blizt wrote:Congrats!! Amazing music on this video :D Is there any recorded set of you playing your modular?
ive got loads of recordings, but like i said earlier, its finding the time to listen to them all to find the best ones.
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

steevio wrote:
lem wrote: It must be a mission to keep it intresting for an hour without repatching?

i'm still a novice though really, you just have to keep practicing till everything flows naturally without thinking. i think i'll be happier in another years time.
Novice my 4ss. I've been on mnml boards for a few years now and you've always demonstrated your wealth of knowledge. Add to that, how many 100's of Youtube videos of people showing off thier expensive modular system to produce NOTHING but wasteful space fart noises. I cringe at the site of that thinking "fck mate, you blew all the $ to make that one sound?"

You pull off 3 hour gigs man, you're not a novice, but don't listen to me, keep telling yourself you're a novice so you continue to grow...
Elektron MD UWmk2, Elektron SFX60mk2.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

that chord sound is that modular or have you got your moog doing that? sounds really nice!

have you got anymore videos? just of you at home making music would be cool.

Perhaps we could do a video thread with us lot making music in our home studios. I have a few videos of me on the dials.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:that chord sound is that modular or have you got your moog doing that? sounds really nice!

have you got anymore videos? just of you at home making music would be cool.

Perhaps we could do a video thread with us lot making music in our home studios. I have a few videos of me on the dials.
its a mixture of the moog and the modular, a couple of the modular VCOs routed in to the external input on the moog, the same VCOs are making the percussion sounds through filter / VCA combos in the modular, thats the thing about modular synthesis, you cant distinguish individual parts, everything is holistic and interconnected. you dont make a part or patch which is seperate in its own right, you just route waveforms to lots of different destinations, the same VCOs in that track are Frequency modulating each other to form the shaker type sound through another filter VCA combo,
the whole track is made from 7 VCOs (including the three in the Moog) and only three notes in each of two 8 step sequencers in two different time signatures. if you saw how simple the starting point was you wouldnt believe it, its about as minimal as you could get.

ive got loads of videos, the ones on here are the most minimal and simple, most of my other stuff is freeform jazz techno, and quite complex, maybe not suitable for this forum.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

^^ i wanna hear it! I get bored quickly with obvious techno and believe that it can move somewhere different in the right pair of hands.

To me, it sounds like so much techno just accepts the previous forms as a given and doesn't quesiton whether they are right or not, just paste some sounds into the same mix as a kick drum etc and it just sounds stale. Even amazing deep soulful techno I don't have as much patience for as I'd like cos so much of the other stuff is dull.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.