turntables + ableton live set

- ask away
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

BUT nobody is talking about THE most important factor in preventing using ableton as an fx unit with the standard dj set up and that is LATENCY!!

i have researched and tested for months and i have figured out ways to keep ableton in sync with incoming audio by ways which have already been explained here, and also the lexicon auto sync anyway....BUT the one hurdle which i cannot overcome is the latency. no matter how much in sync your fx are, they are always a slight m/second behind the actual sound you are playing because of the latency!

i have tried using good external soundcards and its fine when you send the sounds from your sends of the mixer and through the soundcard and then back into another channel, the sound is exactly is in sync, however the problem is when you load up ableton and send the sounds into ableton ,this is when you get the latency. even if you adjust the sample rates in ableton etc there is still too much of a delay to be able to use it in a live situation..

i have asked forums upon forums and dj's upon dj's...however there must be a way to do it as Hawtin and his crew are doing it...there is something they are not giving away!

>>to all the copycat moaners-

I AM NOT TRYIING TO COPY OFF RICHIE'S FX, all i want to do is to be able to get ableton to work as an fx unit and then i can do my own FX, which is what i can do when im just playing through ableton normally, but just not when using ableton as an fx unit with my cdj's, mixer and serato etc..

i see the advantage of software fx as that you can always tweak and adapt/change them over time, where as hardware is limited by the fact that one you have explored everything it can do, thats it.

if there is some wise monk out there who know's the answer please come forward and i will be forever greatful!
ksandvik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ksandvik »

What audio interface are you using, some have latencies up to the tens of milliseconds, others are down to a few milliseconds? I assume it's a firewire unit, or something similar, USB might have more latencies due to the protocol. --Kent
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

ableton 7 will soon have ways to manually adjust your music to tempo... until then use gustavo bravetti's push n pull

http://smartextensions.gustavobravetti. ... lintro.htm

I'm going to experiment with this soon.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

I just automate the tempo to a midi slider, although i have to use it upside down.....

Its works for me.....
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:I just automate the tempo to a midi slider, although i have to use it upside down.....

Its works for me.....
you can invert the control in ableton by right clicking on the midi parameter in the midi map mode.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

hydrogen wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:I just automate the tempo to a midi slider, although i have to use it upside down.....

Its works for me.....
you can invert the control in ableton by right clicking on the midi parameter in the midi map mode.
Cheers dude! :D I though i needed a new controller..... :roll:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Ive just tried push and pull and wouldnt rate it....

Preferably, i need the control of a tempo slider AND pitch bend simeltaniousl, but only one cc note can be assigend to tempo in ableton (correct me if im wrong), so unless a midi interface exisits which outputs 2 sperate notes from 1 slider ('x' for positve, 'y' for negative) ill have to stick with what im doing.

Its a shame, but its still possibe to mix reasonably accuratly with a slider alone.. .. . . . :?

Thanks for the link though.....

So how does everone else manage it??

Cheers
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Ive just tried push and pull and wouldnt rate it....

Preferably, i need the control of a tempo slider AND pitch bend simeltaniousl, but only one cc note can be assigend to tempo in ableton (correct me if im wrong), so unless a midi interface exisits which outputs 2 sperate notes from 1 slider ('x' for positve, 'y' for negative) ill have to stick with what im doing.

Its a shame, but its still possibe to mix reasonably accuratly with a slider alone.. .. . . . :?

Thanks for the link though.....

So how does everone else manage it??

Cheers
Ugh... i tried it last night... and i think i'll go to the pitch bending method with a slider. while the bending seems to work really well. However the actual tempo adjustments are a little too strange to get used to. So after first hand experience I wouldn't recommend it now without warning.