How much is too much to pay for a new record

- open
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by b-ran »

yeswehavetheright wrote:
b-ran wrote:i find it a bit ridiculous for people to get limited print new records and immediately sell them for high amounts.

i got the new joy orbison 12" for $18 canadian (this includes shipping) from honest jons and theres already copies of it going for $75 american on discogs..for a record that came out a month ago..

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?releas ... 7891&ev=rb
Infuriating - money for nothing pisstaking bastards. There must be a precedent for people willing to pay. How about the prices this guy's asking for these Something In The Sky releases http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?seller ... in+the+sky
lame, but people would be stupid to pay that much when other sellers are selling those records for reasonable prices.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

::BLM:: wrote:
john clees wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Yep. It's elitist drivel. .
or you could say factual data.. 1000 kps is CD quality : mp3 @ 320 is 1/3 of a numeric number..

I disagree... it's all about the collector..

many times I've paid twice as much for shipping than I actually paid for the actual vinyl.. so when does that new topic be presented.. ?

that has noting to do with collector's choice but factual cost involved when someone attempts to collect vinyl..
How is Theo Parrish charging more money then anyone else about the collector? It's about him, and how much he can get away with charging for a new record.
well sure their is the general senses of supply and demand...

if people stopped buying them for more he would stop selling them for more...

I suppose that is where the future of vinyl is going. if your going to collect, be a collector and in return I suppose for the artist they can/will charge more for the collection on vinyl.

I wasn't away how much more theo may be charging, however I don't find that all too surprising.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

john clees wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:
john clees wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Yep. It's elitist drivel. .
or you could say factual data.. 1000 kps is CD quality : mp3 @ 320 is 1/3 of a numeric number..

I disagree... it's all about the collector..

many times I've paid twice as much for shipping than I actually paid for the actual vinyl.. so when does that new topic be presented.. ?

that has noting to do with collector's choice but factual cost involved when someone attempts to collect vinyl..
How is Theo Parrish charging more money then anyone else about the collector? It's about him, and how much he can get away with charging for a new record.
well sure their is the general senses of supply and demand...

if people stopped buying them for more he would stop selling them for more...

I suppose that is where the future of vinyl is going. if your going to collect, be a collector and in return I suppose for the artist they can/will charge more for the collection on vinyl.

I wasn't away how much more theo may be charging, however I don't find that all too surprising.
John I understand supply and demand, but that's not the point here. It's about him and his attitude. For some reason he thinks he's above everyone else and has put the buy price of his records up so now the shops have to put them out at a higher price then everyone else.

The question is what do you personally feel about this? It's a piss take no? Coming from someone who thinks music should be free I thought you would have understood that its an elitist way of thinking. Some might say its good business but when the vinyl market is crashing do we really need this type of business?
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

if only there was some kind of format where you could reproduce the music infinitely, so that it could be made available to anyone and anywhere in the world... where everything is equal, costs are equal... and everyone is happy...
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

ChrisCV wrote:if only there was some kind of format where you could reproduce the music infinitely, so that it could be made available to anyone and anywhere in the world... where everything is equal, costs are equal... and everyone is happy...

first of all nice attempt to turn this into a vinyl vs digital discussion =))

and referring to your posting.. with "costs are equal" you actually mean costs are zero.. cause there are no costs for reproducing an mp3.. futhermore no one is willing to pay for something he can reproduce infinetly once he bought it.. and when no one is willing to pay for something.. no one can live from producing it..
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

roland wrote:. no one can live from producing it..
kind of a specific and very scary sentence.... but as I've said before.. I think in the end the vinyl / mp3's are promotional tools, and the shows at the venue's are the money makers...
::BLM:: wrote:.

The question is what do you personally feel about this? It's a piss take no? Coming from someone who thinks music should be free I thought you would have understood that its an elitist way of thinking. Some might say its good business but when the vinyl market is crashing do we really need this type of business?
sure coming from detroit, perhaps vinyl only, and an old school cat... gosh ..that's not a shock...lol.

I think the vinyl market needs to make a change or it will crash completely. if the profit margin can be suitable for labels to press, the I say I'm all for it. perhaps the price gouge is what is needed for labels to be committed to pressing vinyl in the future.

But for many, techno is a business and has been for sometime. considering a business model perhaps doing only vinyl, all of a sudden the digital market dilutes your own business... what choice would you make? after 9/11 many distribution companies went out of business, it's more and more costly to produce vinyl, in a way, * considering the perlon release going for close to $100, why shouldn't a label that supports vinyl charge more... again I haven't price a theo record so Im not sure if you saying he's charing 2 or 3 times more, and if that is the case yes that's extreme.

sure one can label them an elitist, but at the same time business is business, and if the market had pigeon holed labels that support vinyl to pay more and more and as time goes on to release vinyl, then of course the vinyl is going up. perhaps he is the first to really specifically make it a point to charge outside what the market is bearing, however I think many many others, including perlon is and will follow suit..

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, I just think this is where the vinyl market is heading.
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

i agree that new vinyl should be priced reasonable. all that sky-high prices for ltd out of print items every body wants to have is a totally different thing and should have nothing to do with releasing vinyl as artist / label.

on the other hand, what is reasonable? one side is the production cost (not music production but the wax production) other side imo is musical quality. theo's sketches example: the album musically is superb and it's an _album_, should have taken some time, talent and dedication to create. this _is_ in my opionion definetely worth more bucks than some rather standard house tracks done "the hype" way, like single-track-single-sided-marbled-see-through-wax-stamped-label-plain-paper-sleeve-ltd-release.

don't know the original price for the sketches album on wax, but i would have payed about 60€ for that without thinking about it (but i don't pay 1k as you need on discogs currently).

yes, artists should be able to live from making music, and yes: it's ok for me to pay some more bucks for quality.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

its available for 100 €, only one insane guy charges 1k ..