A message from Mad Mike..........

- open
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Deef wrote: it just doesn't make sense, 'begging' for recognition for a missy elliot track. back in the days ur was pretending to be the real underground blabla. obviously they got my respect for all the great music they produced, but what's standing in the first post of this topic... i find it ridiculous.
Who's begging? Did you see a Juan Atkins signature at the bottom of that post? because i didn't. Now mike has put out a message asking that anyone that gives a crap to vote for a good freind of his. Notice he didn't say "Vote for Mad Mike!" or "Vote For UR!". UR never had to pretend to be REAL underground music because they actually ARE REAL underground music. I work around these cats everyday. This isn't some sort of shpiel they just tell the press about to get listeners. Richie Hawtin drives a bmw, "Mad" Mike Banks drives a beat up pickup truck. Who's more underground? Most of the artists you read about in trendy electronic music magazines spend most of their money on publicity just to get in them, UR turns down interviews all the fucking time and they didn't spend sh!t on publicity. Who's more underground? The whole comparison is silly because in the end ALL OF THIS MUSIC IS UNDERGROUND. Techno doesn't have a Madonna, UR isn't U2, Richie Hawtin isn't Eminem. Want proof? Go out on the street and ask your average joe who Juan Atkins is and put the answer in your next post. Come on now...you can't possibly be that naive.

zentex wrote:yeah this message is pretentious as hell. i owe those detroit guys nothing, never bought their records or got influences from them, besides the electro stuff. what a wanka.
Electro stuff like erm ahhhhhhh......Clear by Cybotron or ummmmm........No Ufo's by Model 500 or are you just talking about all the other electro stuff by Detroit artists that were all HEAVILY influenced by Juan Atkins. :shock:
What a fuckin' Bonehead
Deef
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Deef »

Torque wrote:Who's begging? Did you see a Juan Atkins signature at the bottom of that post? because i didn't. Now mike has put out a message asking that anyone that gives a crap to vote for a good freind of his. Notice he didn't say "Vote for Mad Mike!" or "Vote For UR!". UR never had to pretend to be REAL underground music because they actually ARE REAL underground music. I work around these cats everyday. This isn't some sort of shpiel they just tell the press about to get listeners. Richie Hawtin drives a bmw, "Mad" Mike Banks drives a beat up pickup truck. Who's more underground? Most of the artists you read about in trendy electronic music magazines spend most of their money on publicity just to get in them, UR turns down interviews all the fucking time and they didn't spend sht on publicity. Who's more underground? The whole comparison is silly because in the end ALL OF THIS MUSIC IS UNDERGROUND. Techno doesn't have a Madonna, UR isn't U2, Richie Hawtin isn't Eminem. Want proof? Go out on the street and ask your average joe who Juan Atkins is and put the answer in your next post. Come on now...you can't possibly be that naive.
LOL, calm down dude :) ofcourse i'm not naive, i do realise that not even 1/10 of the people i know have any clue who juan atkins & co is.
what i ment was: who cares about a f*cking vote? all that voting and stuff, why? i see and hear it everyday, on the radio, on tv... what's the point? it's real nice of mike banks he's supporting his friend juan atkins, but i just don't get it. sure, more non-techno-related people could get to know juan atkins because of this missy elliot song. my opinion is that if you on one moment turn down interviews and don't spend a dime on publicity, and on the other moment ask/beg to vote for a friend so he could get recognition, that those two dings just don't go together. but hey, that's just my opinion.

you know... in the end... i don't care who makes the music i'm listening to and how much money they spend on publicity. good music is good music. respect to all of them.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

fwiw like a year ago there were posters all over berlin (even the touristy areas) with from coke dj culture sponsering a night with juan atkins. the night ddint do well. what does it matter what kind of car someone drives? rich could prolly drive a ferrari if he wanted to, and mike could prolly also drive a benz. still, i think it would be kinda cool for a techno artist to get a grammy. its not a recognition thing, but moreso a wider legitimacy of the music. still bummed i lost his waxtrax mix. Good music doesnt have to remain unknown, just keep the diy attitude.
freeeeeee
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

cliff before even reading this...

and skimming.. and seeing own their ass... / and detroit is so funny.

YES agreed.... :?

my thoughts are what the fck dude..? besides nothing else.. that kinda of (mentality / energy) is uncalled for and/or hasn't been here until now........ and it's lands here by you... I'm not going to go into detail at this point in time but man... (?)

to even ask people to participate and then to be so bold ..........in a brain washed manner ........ about the metallica techno ............march you keep steppin.... is rude.

your are america's cartoon tv land, * I'm american it's my right * no manner having fella I can say that from the GET...

* keep in mind:strawberry cush........so don't take me so serious but ... dude... :oops:

* going to page 1 to start from the top.. :shock:
Last edited by John Clees on Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
accdntly
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by accdntly »

im drunk now.... so fck.. my influence (ces) HERBERT. RICARDODODODO...) SOMEONEELSE (flowchart) ) HAWTIN (as a dj/technologic innovator haha).duh duh duh.... MY PENIS!!! perlon, milligan, JOSH motherfuckin SINK j/k, errr KOMPAKT, DURH DJSS HE HE, PLASTER. PLASTER I FUCKING LOVE YOU!!! DURH. JPENIS
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

John Clees wrote:cliff before even reading this...

and skimming.. and seeing own their ass... / and detroit is so funny.

YES agreed.... :?

my thoughts are what the fck dude..? besides nothing else.. that kinda of (mentality / energy) is uncalled for and/or hasn't been here until now........ and it's lands here by you... I'm not going to go into detail at this point in time but man... (?)

to even ask tp get people to participate and then to be so bold in a brain washed manner ........ about the metallica techno march you keep steppin.... is rude.

your are america's cartoon tv land, * I'm american it's my right * no manner having fella I can say that from the GET...

* keep in mind I have strawberry cush right in front of me so don't take me so serious but ... dude...:D

* going to page 1 to start from the top.. :shock:
Dude John,
That post was so fucking rediculous i'm going to let it slide and attribute it to temporary insanity because i know you.
I got a good laugh out of the "Metallica Techno March" line though. props.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

we are all adults ......and I'm not going to take sides due to knowing you ...............but perhaps from an introduction (of) you from your initial post like perhaps many have just viewed..

dsatclaiming wrote: that techno is all about detroit sounds a bit too pretentious,

during the mid-90's a lot of good techno productions came out, but many of them were not even from Detroit,

techno producers were of course influenced by what came from Detroit... but they added their own personal twist to it and let's not forget the entire experimental scene that "owes its ass" to everything but Detroit, AFX, Autechre, Boards, Otto Von Shirach, Uziq, ... the list is long... and let's not forget jungle and drum'n'bass which was a pure UK thing. If you look at the whole picture, it's pretty pretentious to claim ownership of a particular sound... Detroit set something wonderful in motion, but others added their twist to it and developed new things
In a way, Detroit also owes it's ass to Europe, and before that people owe their ass to US disco... and the chain goes on

but now of course a lot of things have lost that innovative touch and are more market oriented (and are sometimes far from minimal)... plus there's the hype that is fucking up everything and influences people's judgement ... but the whole minimal thing is definitely not innovative anymore ... what counts for me is quality, regardless of which style of music

the only innovation can be found in the experimental field, but those records have practically no dancefloor value and so many people simply don't even hear about them or don't make the effort to check them out
innovation rarely sells these days, people like easily digestible things

as to innovation coming detroit... well, not much new is coming from there,just basic recycling unfortunately, although Anthony Shakir did a great experimental record on 7th city a while back, and Drexciya did some great stuff as well, and Carl Craig keeps on reinventing himself, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but mainly it's been stagnating for a long time now

it takes more than just one city...
omg.... this is rich...... haha

nowayback wrote:Jesse_mtl > Torque > what's with all the anger dude?

people OUTSIDE Detroit got fed up of this...

Why every now and then some Detroit dude acts like The Great Defender of Techno and bursts into moaning about stuff like that?

as if you guys have some superiority complex?

(((((( ME LAUGHING :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ))))))))

What's the purpose of spreading a story like the Hood one you mentioned?
It makes me feel more pity than respect the way you served it.

Those who know, know. But for those who don't know, this surely ain't the way to approach them.

Sick and tired of stuff like this. YES we respect Detroit. But PLEASE Detroit, lose some of the attitude.
amen.

further more only * recreating * the old diseased THICK SKIN detroit that was layed on thick until like 2000.. and it's just now 6 years later sh!t is JUST NOW starting to be relaxed as if you beat/ raped / moleseted a fucking child and now it's out of it's envirioment and it's just starting to breath...

** i've only read a half of the 2nd page... at this point..

this board is a bloodline. like a virgin: (innocent and pure) and you just jacked off on it's face..

congrats :D

wheres that word

* wanker * :D * it's been too long since I've heard that.

life's choices: (A or B)

think forward or think backwards.

pushing forward thinking backwards only makes you .....

:arrow: :idea: you display why Im not pround to be nicely

this old yesterday thick skin bullshit that needs to rest....
colmenares wrote:agreed nowayback
all i have to say is this... why couldn't he gain recognition making a Techno track instead of producing a track for a million dollar commercial act beats me :roll:
:)

thinking techno CAME from detroit is flat out absurd.

further more....that is as foolish as saying the whiteman is our forefather.. go tell that to an the American Indian..

or myself... in which I think you as an American Indian would relate just a little but perhaps all that time (learning) about detroit history has molded your mind on backwards....

becuase someone (juan) said in the 80's and some marketing hack ran up and down with the world with a new adjective to describe music.....
does not by any means give you any right what so ever to claim or post that such things as truth.. it's all an opinion / perspective / and becuase the underground music you so self proclaim....when into the (commerical) media and the word techno was (BORN) :P does that mean that was the truth in the music culture or community.

* when was the first drum beat / hit / sound.., when was the first 4 x 4 beat... indian drummer..? b.c. ?
Torque wrote:I would agree with you completely if i actually heard some recent innovation from anybody else.
clifford I love it when you ask me questions

Monobox - Monobox Remixes Vol. 1
http://www.discogs.com/release/224218

Label: Logistic Records
Catalog#: LOG035
Format: 12"
Released: 12 Feb 2004
Genre: Electronic
Style: Techno, Minimal

Tracklisting:
A Trade (Ricardo Villalobos Remix)

case in point sucka...
Last edited by John Clees on Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

John Clees wrote: thinking techno CAME from detroit is flat out absurd.

Then tell me where the fck it came from. Even the word techno came from Juan Atkins. When asked what kind of music he made he said "i don't know about you guys but i make TECHNO music" and the term stuck. It's absolutely true that the guys who made techno in detroit back then were heavily influenced by stuff like Kraftwerk and the house music from places like Chicago, nobody will argue that point. So what are they supposed to say? Are they supposed to say they make house music? You don't see rock musicians going around claiming they make Jazz do you? On top of that think for a minute. Where is Juan Atkins from? It ain't Berlin, it ain't Paris, it ain't London, it's Detroit Michigan just like you. Find some information to post on here that proves what i said is bullshit and i'll eat my words. I mean fck...I even asked you on MSN the same question, waited an hour and still got no answer on that one. I never even once ever said that detroit was the ONLY place that ever made techno or even said it made the best techno, but it did make it first. Prove me wrong. Before it was called Techno it was just called Detroit House. After it was being called techno and people from other places started making music that sounded similar it was then called Detroit Techno if it came from Detroit. That's a fact straight up unless you can prove anything different by yourself and change the history for everybody right here. Do it.

further more....that is as foolish as saying the whiteman is our forefather.. go tell that to an the American Indian..

or myself... in which I think you as an American Indian would relate just a little but perhaps all that time (learning) about detroit history has molded your mind on backwards....

Aww helll naw......
What the fck kind of analogy is that? Me being Native has absolutely nothing to do with anything in this conversation, not only that, you have done absolutely 0 to prove your point and prove me wrong. Prove to me that my thinking is backwards. Quit bullshittin' and post some proof to your claim.

becuase someone (juan) said in the 80's and some marketing hack ran up and down with the world with a new adjective to describe music.....
does not by any means give you any right what so ever to claim or post that such things are truth..

fck yes it does, it's the actual literal truth.

it's all an opinion / perspective / and becuase the underground music you so self proclaim....when into the (commerical) media and the word techno was (BORN) :P does that mean that was the truth in the music culture or community.

"self proclaim?" how the fck am i doing that
When did i ever try to personally take credit for any of it? What thread are you reading? The community can think whatever they want and if they don't agree that's fine but it does not change the fact that techno did not exist before Juan Atkins and if it did it was not called Techno. I never claimed anything more than that. I don't know where you're getting this sh!t.

Listen to your self for a second John.

* when was the first drum beat / hit / sound.., when was the first 4 x 4 beat... indian drummer..? b.c.

That's funny, i don't remember saying anything like even remotely close to that. Did i ever say that Juan was the first man to ever use an 808? I don't remember saying it. All i ever said is that Juan made TECHNO first. The only reason that is 100% true beyond question is because he was the first person to claim that name for the kind of music he made. Nobody else did it, Juan did. If he didn't then it would all just be house music and Techno could have never marketed itself apart from house. That little thing had an actual tangible big effect. It's the damn truth.
Torque wrote:I would agree with you completely if i actually heard some recent innovation from anybody else.
ohh clifford I love it when you ask me questions

Monobox - Monobox Remixes Vol. 1
http://www.discogs.com/release/224218

Label: Logistic Records
Catalog#: LOG035
Format: 12"
Released: 12 Feb 2004
Genre: Electronic
Style: Techno, Minimal

Tracklisting:
A Trade (Ricardo Villalobos Remix)

Oh John...
That was possibly the weakest argument for innovation i'v ever seen in my entire life. There are like a million more records on planet earth that would have come close to actually making your point. The record you posted as an example is a remix of a track by Robert Hood. It's a REMIX John meaning that he's using peices of audio with sounds that Rob has been using for years. I definitly don't think Ricardo would claim it as being innovation. It's not a bad track though and a little bit better than the original IMO but not a case in point for innovation. Maybe it could be innovative but it just sounds like Techno to me. Maybe if he created the whole thing from scratch and did something completely different than had ever been done in techno. But sadly it's still a remix.

You Ready?

Robert Hood (aka Monobox, The Vision, Hood Scientific, Floorplan, etc...) - Minimal Nation
Label - Axis
Catalog# - AX-007
Format - 2x12"
Country - US
Released - 1994
Genre - Electronic
Style - Techno, Minimal, Abstract

A1) One Touch
A2) Museum
B1) Ride
B2) Acrylic
C1) Unix
C2) Rhythm
D1) Station Rider E
D2) The Pace

Now that was innovation. No remix needed.
Still being played 12 years later and still works on a dancefloor.

case in point sucka...