Digital synths

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think the analog/digital argument weaves thru the heart of this thread, however you feel, or would want to say about it.

Partly this choice (tonally) comes down to personal choice and direction. FOr exmaple Wendy Carlos thought digital was a great for her music, as the Moog synths she used previously were simply too big sounding. Exactly the opposite of what many others would say.

And opposite to AK, I used to be well into Reaktor, digital FM. Now with a few analogue equivalents I am much more productive and creatively satisfied.

If the argument is a financial one, then sure, go with what you can afford. Both methods of sound generation are extremely functional and interesting.
vviizzoonn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by vviizzoonn »

<3 my juno 60

analog breathes life. digital lives off an oxygen tank.
KrisM
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by KrisM »

I used to own an Alpha Juno 2 w/ a PG-300 programmer that was fun to work with.

Also, RedSound Darkstars are very underrated, imo. An cheap.
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

opinions on the Juno 106? Aside from the well known chip problem...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i wouldn't class DCO synths as digital.

juno 60, 106 and alpha are all analog. if you think there digital you can add all the Dave Smith synths to the list.
Gill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gill »

dubgil wrote:opinions on the Juno 106? Aside from the well known chip problem...
I love mine....would never sell it. It is so straight-forward, but at the same time, you could spend ten years with it, and still discover new sounds. I spend so much time, minorly tweaking the cutoff, envelop amount, and decay knobs, those three have a special relationship. The bass is clean and warm, the chorus is amazing, and the portamento is lovely.

However, I don't like how it slips out of tune and you have tune it with a knob on the back, and I think many sounds involving anything in the top end sound cheesy and eighties.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

does the 106 have a chord memory function so u can play all the notes of a chord over the keyboard using the 6 voices, then have it so when u press one key it plays that chord on a single key? i know the juno 60 can do this but im unsure of the 106? also whats everyones opinion on the korg polysix? seems slightly cheaper than the juno and has a few more options on it?

As for this digital/analog arguement, its daft, just go with what works for u. I used ableton for 4-5yrs now i've got an mpc60 and im making more music and quicker as using the pads just seems to work me, its put a bit of fun into making music, as i previously played guitar and kind of miss that instrument feel. abletons still great though, its just not my workflow. looking to add a desk soon and a synth so i can play along to my beats ive made in the mpc.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

gowans wrote:does the 106 have a chord memory function so u can play all the notes of a chord over the keyboard using the 6 voices, then have it so when u press one key it plays that chord on a single key? i know the juno 60 can do this but im unsure of the 106? also whats everyones opinion on the korg polysix? seems slightly cheaper than the juno and has a few more options on it?
The Juno's didn't have a chord memory function until the Alpha Juno came if I remember correctly. That thing can be got for cheao nowadays, there's a PG-300 programmer around ( if you can find one ) which would make the synth more 'hands on'.

I am not a big fan of the 106, I think its sound is hard to fit in a mix unless your other sounds are also juno 106. If that makes sense? :? It's been a while since I used one though.

Only used the Polysix in its software form. A mate had one but it was broken whilst I knew him. That has a chord memory function, does all those 'sampled' synthy/piano type stabby things really well if that's your bag. Some guy on another board wanted the sound/chord of 'Inner City - Good Life' and I made a chord memory patch on it which was pretty identical. ( apprently the original sound was sampled off 'Let's Get Brutal - Nitro Deluxe'.

Anyone ever used a Korg DW8000? Sampled waveforms for oscillators and analog filters, that's a true defining version of an analog/digital hybrid. In regard to an eariler post, the assumption is, things like the Juno etc that they are analog/digital hybrids, at least that's what I have always read.