sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

patrick bateman wrote:
sven laux wrote:
. wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
. wrote:No, I do not, but I do play others. I just don't like to mix "styles" in one night, same if I'm "public". If I want a night of non "pure" styles I could go see Hernan Cattaneo, or any other mainstream names. :roll:
So you can't develop your set from tech-house, over minimal to techno in a few hours?
Yes, but I don't like it. Well, yes :lol: I do mix different styles in one night, but is not the same, I think. For example: I could start with some glitchy IDM and then switch to some glitchy micro house, the styles will change, but the sounds will keep the same, in that case: Yes, I do mix different styles in my sets, but the question aims to another kind of answers, imo.

EDIT: same with minimal, I could play earlier some deep minimal and later switch to minimal techno or minimal tech, but never switch to deep house (as many does), not in one night at least.
I totally agree with this one.
Sven 'one-style only' Laux.
Well, I don't like it too mixed-up.
There has to be a story, but if there are too many styles mixed up which doesn't fit together, I feel like listening to a radio station.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

But we are not talking about mixing pop records with dance music. It's pretty much one genre, just split into sub genres. Not sure why someone would find it hard to fit the different sub genres into one DJ set.
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

Mh, I just read something about mixing Dubstep with Drum'n'Bass and Electronica in a previous post...
dzan
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dzan »

you lucky guys.. when i go out to a local club, i'm mostly compelled to hear just one style the whole night... :lol:
Utopian82
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Utopian82 »

I had a relatively short stint in a pop club/bar and I learnt a sh!t load there. The shear fact that I HAD to play for the people otherwise the boss would be on my ass. We're talking Beyonce (I barely even listen to pop) to Minimal techno (the switch was weird as hell sometimes).

Anyway, I think everyone should try this out at some point as it's really developed my party playing skills which is a whole different thing to playing in a Club. You definitely see djing in a different light.
HEFTY
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by HEFTY »

different genres - same Hefty style

ie. i would play dark bassy hypnotic (insert genre here)
mattburns
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mattburns »

I'm with BLM on this one. people get too bogged down with genres. It's all dance music, music to dance to. alot of genres fit very nicely together so if you like music from different genres wouln't you play them? Makes for a more interesting night in my opinion. For example, Ben Klock doesn't just hammer out the techno from start to finish in his sets. He moves between house, techno, dubstep, same with Dettmann, and it sure as hell works
Upcoming Gigs
Twitch presents Function (Sandwell District) on 16th March in The Empire, Belfast. Support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//Phil Lucas.

Twitch presents Lerosa on 9th April in QUBSU with support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//NEZ//Phil Lucas
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

maxeinsoul wrote:I don't think it's a matter of genre. What really matters in my opinion is the coherence between the tracks.
+1

For me, this is the most important thing. 8) DJs, don't let a genre tag inhibit your creativity!