Is Piracy Really Killing The Music Industry? No!.........?

- open
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

patrick bateman wrote:So you DO have a problem with me and how I write on this forum, I knew it :)
livecollective wrote:I know you are not against vinyl. ( I love vinyl too). I never said you are only praising digital.
livecollective wrote: I have been following the discussion enough to see that its always the same from you man, praise digital sales, and beatport
Make up your mind man ;)
You are confusing what I am saying, the second quote is referring to your constant comments in digital/beatport threads, it doesn't contradict the first quote you took out of context because it no where says that you are praising ONLY digital.

livecollective wrote: except in response to you commenting about how your vinyl releases have brought you success, in your typical holier-than-thou attitude.

Where did I say that my vinyl releases have brought me success? I can't see it, sorry.
patrick bateman wrote:
livecollective wrote:
how many awesome gigs and tons of success have your digital releases gotten you?
EDIT: I think both my vinyl releases and digital releases have giving me the success I could ask for (said in another way, I'm happy for what I've achieved), mind you that I'm still a relatively young producer.

I don't have a problem with you, I think we are missing a lot of our points as they are lost in translation.
korgborglar
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by korgborglar »

...anyways... one things pirates have going for them is a better delivery system than the legal stores. I know I'll catch sh!t for this, but back in its day I pirated a serious chunk of music through oink.cd. It was the best way to get music that there has ever been; every genre, every release imagineable from the past 50 years, meticulously labeled and organized, with cover art, standardized file naming, and complete meta-data, in whatever format you wanted. And you got entire releases each in their own folder.

Two years later, still no stores can compete with the user experience of Oink. Buying more then a few tracks at a time off of beatport or whatpeopleplay is a needless hassel--i don't want a bunch of .wavs named 234634869_artist_rls_abrev.wav downloaded one by one, or in 250 mb zips (seriously, 250 is not big enough wpp, get it together). And iTunes, don't get me started. When I pirated music, I got .flac files with metadata, organized into folders. I've started to get more serious about music, and don't pirate music anymore. Now that I'm legit, I spend four times as much time getting everything organized, and that is a serious problem. I don't think people are necessarily greedy, or want to take stuff that's not there's. But people are definitely lazy, and seek out the easiest way to do something. Unfortunately, at this point in time, for downloading music, the easiest and most time efficient way is through private torrent trackers.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

As long as the system is fucked, I guess piracy will be around. The more fucked up the system is the more piracy will there be.

For starters. MP3s should be made much more cheaper. The shelf life of music nowadays is becoming shorter with everyday so why pay $1/1 euro for something that will lose it's value in a few days. Plus it is not a resell able format. And so on....
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

korgborglar wrote:...anyways... one things pirates have going for them is a better delivery system than the legal stores. I know I'll catch sh!t for this, but back in its day I pirated a serious chunk of music through oink.cd. It was the best way to get music that there has ever been; every genre, every release imagineable from the past 50 years, meticulously labeled and organized, with cover art, standardized file naming, and complete meta-data, in whatever format you wanted. And you got entire releases each in their own folder.

Two years later, still no stores can compete with the user experience of Oink. Buying more then a few tracks at a time off of beatport or whatpeopleplay is a needless hassel--i don't want a bunch of .wavs named 234634869_artist_rls_abrev.wav downloaded one by one, or in 250 mb zips (seriously, 250 is not big enough wpp, get it together). And iTunes, don't get me started. When I pirated music, I got .flac files with metadata, organized into folders. I've started to get more serious about music, and don't pirate music anymore. Now that I'm legit, I spend four times as much time getting everything organized, and that is a serious problem. I don't think people are necessarily greedy, or want to take stuff that's not there's. But people are definitely lazy, and seek out the easiest way to do something. Unfortunately, at this point in time, for downloading music, the easiest and most time efficient way is through private torrent trackers.
i find shoplifting time efficient too. no queuing while you wait to be served, no messing around with money or credit cards, just straight out the door. much quicker and easier.
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

Van Hagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Van Hagen »

tone-def wrote:
korgborglar wrote:...anyways... one things pirates have going for them is a better delivery system than the legal stores. I know I'll catch sh!t for this, but back in its day I pirated a serious chunk of music through oink.cd. It was the best way to get music that there has ever been; every genre, every release imagineable from the past 50 years, meticulously labeled and organized, with cover art, standardized file naming, and complete meta-data, in whatever format you wanted. And you got entire releases each in their own folder.

i find shoplifting time efficient too. no queuing while you wait to be served, no messing around with money or credit cards, just straight out the door. much quicker and easier.
:lol:
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

New Guy wrote:For starters. MP3s should be made much more cheaper.
What price do you think would be fair for 1 mp3?
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

1 Euro for lossless.