Go see Avatar in 3D!

- open
Stan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Stan »

patrick bateman wrote:Someone told me it's like Dances With Wolves just with Smurfs instead... Image

Do you mean something like this :

:lol:
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

I watched it blunted yesterday... I had a good time. I know it's just a show of technology more than a movie but the fact of being high helps to forget about the sh!t story line, the "Super-badass-scareface-vietnam guy" scenes were the funny moments of the film... Especialy the moment he talks about his scars and goes like : "I keep them cause it reminds me how dangerous it is out there...". It's annoying how caricatural it is all the time, stupid careless human, the connection between every creature of pandora, the hunting scene with the "thanks, you blue leather skinned dear for letting us eat you"... Everyone connected to the planet with it's fluo cable (couldn't it be wifi?) to make it aware of the danger...

Could have been better with less blah blah, less crappy love story (I'd rather see them as an "open community" :lol:

Cameron definately went green.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

All around, I thought the movie was pretty good. The visuals were stellar, and I thought that the 3D was really well used. There were not too many "in your face ZOMG" 3D moments, but it was used more to give everything a sense of depth and lushness. The jungle scenes were beautiful, and it's worth watching again just for those.

Now and then the action sequences could be a bit too much and put a strain on the eyes, but that didn't happen too frequently.

The world was rendered very well, and for most of the movie you rarely saw The Navi and Humans on screen at the same time - which gave the scenes of Pandora a really realistic feeling - even though it looked very CG at the same time. Just the amount of detail and consistency in the world seemed to bridge the uncanny valley. I was willing to suspend my disbelief and beleive that the world was real, and that the Navi were real and not just computer renderings.

It wasn't until the later half of the movie where you started to get more human technology / humans being mixed in with the Navi that a bit of a gap had started to form - but it was a minor one at that.

There were some aspects of the plot / story that I did really like. I really enjoyed the Navi aspects of the story, the idea of the earth being 'alive', everything connected / etc, and think they actually did an alright job at handling that side of the story.

I did think that the military-side of the story felt a little too heavy-handed and brow-beaty. After 1 or 2 over the top scenes with the military, it was like "ok, ok, I get it - man is bad, we are exploiting blah blah wonder of natural resources blah blah...". It almost had a Crash level of heavy-handedness to me.

That said, I do agree with the message / plot behind it, and now is a fairly appropriate time for such a message - even if it was a bit clunky in it's delivery. Although, I heard people use the same argument to support Crash, which to me - was unbearable in almost every way possible.

With all the people pissing on Avatar about the story and plot, I was expecting much worse. But all around - I left enjoying that more than I thought I would, and don't think it's as bad as people are ripping on it for.

In some ways though, it almost feels as if this could be a kids movie - it's something I could see taking like, an 8yr old to go and see. The plot/story while heavy-handed in many parts and simple, is something a kid could easily get their head around - and an important message at that.

either way, all around I liked it, the eye-candy was great, and didn't find the plot to be quite as bad as the critics are making it out to be.
master b
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by master b »

story & dialogue = 0/5

character, creature and scenery imagination = 2/5

effects & visuals = 5/5

would i nail neytiri? 100%
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote: So I have been thinking about these floating mountains... the magnetism thing might not be a plausible enough for ya ec50. You may ask why the magnatism didn't affect the helicopter dropships... truth is, I dont know. Unless its a special kind of magnetism that doesn't affect objects that are contained within the system... much like we don't feel the rotation of the earth or the fact that we are hurtling though space at a scary velocity.

I had two other ideas. Compounds in the rocks could have an anti gravity property.

My other idea is that maybe the rock under the upper crust of the mountains was created millions of years ago from magma that cooled into super porous lava rock. Those mountains might be more empty space then solid material. Now during this time of strange geological activity a particular chemical reaction was taking place during the cooling phase. This reaction created a gas that was lighter then the natural atmosphere on the planet and once enough of it was created in the porous sections of rock, the mountains then broke away from the surface and began to float in the sky. In essence these mountains of rock are actually naturally occurring dirigibles.

There we go... the foundation of this science (fiction) is sound. This must be the cause of the floating mountains. :D
please tell me you didn't do a science at university
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

master b wrote:please tell me you didn't do a science at university
:roll:

I am surprised more people are not on here shitting on the movie. It made $264 million dollars last weekend alone. By the laws of mnml world people's distaste, disenchantment and negativity should be increasing exponentially in proportion to the success of the thing in question. You people are slippin.
master b
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by master b »

i enjoyed it. but i took it in the right context.

a lot of people are slagging it because the story is pathetic. they are correct but then i wouldn't go to a circus to see fine acting by the clowns with cream pies or expect flame throwers to be introduced during a rendition of hamlet.

it is what it is. a spectacle. nothing else.
Philsen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Philsen »

S.D.L wrote:This movie should be boycotted.

300 million to make it, seriously!? That money should go to the REAL rain forrest!
uhhh yes, terrible conflict u getting on here, ... i saw it too, last saturday, ... must say, its nice, fresh colours and a special intensity although the 3d technology isn't fully developed and so a 2 and a half hour movie gets on ur eyes ..... but i also think that the movie industry is pumping millions of dollars into a projekt like avatar, a film where the story is about nature and the humans destroying it for making big money , but dont spend any money for our nature to save it ... that cannot be the way ... something going defininatly wrong there ... :?: :?: :?:
-everything you think, do and say
is in the pill you took today-
:zager and evans:

-life is of the nature of water:
it always seeks the deepest place,
which is always below in the darkness
and heaviness of the earth.-
:c.g. jung: