favorite movies???

- open
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

mayzee wrote:damn, knew I'd missed some thjings... gotta be the directors cut though...
yeah i have the director's cut. i like it better because it suggests that deckard is also a replicant because of the unicorn dream etc. and i don't believe the original has that. i could be wrong.

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Most things by Kubrick, Lucas and older sci-fi when it was actually sci-fi and not "action" that takes place on a generic space or future backdrop. (not so much the early alien-invasion type stuff. Just good 1970's-1980's stuff especially.. and all the weird audio visual stuff that comes with it. Viva tape delay and metal reverbs!). A Clockwork Orange and Gangster No. 1 (both with mcdowel) were a couple I've enjoyed again recently. And abck on the sci-fi/fantasy note, I caught 'Zardoz' not that long ago on sattellite. Cheesy, and one of the worst movies made in many people's minds, but so eerily intriguing and at least from an artistic perspective.. really awesome to see.

On a less serious note, Anchor Man and The Life Aquatic were two very entertaining movies in the past couple of years.
csmak4u
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by csmak4u »

a kind of new movie that came out that i really loved is Sin City
that movie kicked ass
its just a hobby i picked up in the lobby
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

adam wrote:Most things by Kubrick, Lucas and older sci-fi when it was actually sci-fi and not "action" that takes place on a generic space or future backdrop. (not so much the early alien-invasion type stuff. Just good 1970's-1980's stuff especially.. and all the weird audio visual stuff that comes with it.
which reminds me of another movie with a wonderful soundtrack, forbidden planet! louis and bebe barron!
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

fredrikburok wrote:
adam wrote:Most things by Kubrick, Lucas and older sci-fi when it was actually sci-fi and not "action" that takes place on a generic space or future backdrop. (not so much the early alien-invasion type stuff. Just good 1970's-1980's stuff especially.. and all the weird audio visual stuff that comes with it.
which reminds me of another movie with a wonderful soundtrack, forbidden planet! louis and bebe barron!
That's one i've never seen. I probably should, real classic..
I like a lot of the early color ones.. what's great about movies from back then is that music is used much more carefully. Music isn't just blasting away nonstop like today's license-rich flicks, but it's rather well planned out and only used when actually needed. And sometimes just weird drones and delayed sounds and hums and things too. It's really charming to go watch one of these movies now and hear the perfect music shining through it's flawed recording, slightly out of tune, noisey, whatever.
Zardoz... maybe Original Planet of the Apes movies, good examples.. there are plenty more and better ones though that aren't coming to mind.

2001 was amazing though - more technology, more advanced production than some of that earlier stuff though. THX-1138 is king though as far as environmental audio and sound fx go. Really broke ground and changed the industry I suspect.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

adam wrote:
fredrikburok wrote:
That's one i've never seen. I probably should, real classic..
I like a lot of the early color ones.. what's great about movies from back then is that music is used much more carefully. Music isn't just blasting away nonstop like today's license-rich flicks, but it's rather well planned out and only used when actually needed. And sometimes just weird drones and delayed sounds and hums and things too. It's really charming to go watch one of these movies now and hear the perfect music shining through it's flawed recording, slightly out of tune, noisey, whatever.
Zardoz... maybe Original Planet of the Apes movies, good examples.. there are plenty more and better ones though that aren't coming to mind.

2001 was amazing though - more technology, more advanced production than some of that earlier stuff though. THX-1138 is king though as far as environmental audio and sound fx go. Really broke ground and changed the industry I suspect.
for sure, anyway - if you haven't heard the soundtrack from the movie, check it out here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

these guys were/are pioneers, incredible work - especially for its time. if you like droney, robot-psychosis atmospheres - this is it ;)
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

forgot some..

the event horizon
the first alien movie
and.... the big lebowski
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

i made a quite fckin comprehensive list but when i posted, i got some fckin "cant find page" :x

so i'll post just the best one. ok, here we go:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

best movie of all times.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...